whats going on with the refs?

devilish

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good to meet devilish and wildstang last nite. The more I have been around JC people the more I am impressed with their knowledge of the game, and the genuine goodness of the people.I want to say that it was good to see hollie get some well deserved honors for the game. She has played good all year and I personally enjoyed watching her. The team concept and the togetherness of the fans, and the best coach in the state make for a winning program. Now the referees this year have been the worst at their job I have ever seen. Can we do anything about it. Maybe. When the season is over get the films of the games, and send them to the proper people in authority. Then work to see that they should be tested and screened before accepted for those positions. There are many people out there that would do these jobs, given the chance. They take away from the game, they confuse the players, and like the finals in Livingston when they could have stepped in and controlled the situation by calling a techinal on the unruly crowd. They remind me of the wrestling I used to watch years ago. The refs were confused, allways against the good guys, and looking the other way when something serious happened. I think with some effort this can be improved. I try to not say much at games, but when outright bad calls are made that are unfair and wrong, it is hard to be quite. Don"t be surprised if they try to steal the jc/cr game for cr. That is to bad for the parents that have shelled out time and money for these athletes, and the effort these players have put into it. jc is like the new england pats. They are a target because of their success. Go jc. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

What an interesting post!!

What can you do about it? Send your money to TSSAA 3333 Lebanon Road Hermitage, TN 37076 , pay your dues, take a test, join a local association, pay more dues, buy a couple of uniforms, take more tests, go to camp (after you pay more money) and attend 7-10 meetings, and become a referee! They won't turn you down so "all of the people out there that would do these jobs" can do so!

I have never gone into a ballgame, nor have I ever heard of an official state "we need to screw ______ team tonight" or "______ team needs to lose this game". It just don't happen!! Every call we make, half of the gym will disagree with it. That is part of the game. All we do is call what we are given and move on. We can't help it if one team is grabbing, hacking, and fouling all of the time while one team is playing great defense and playing smart! Just because one team has fouled 8 times does not mean the other team has to have 8 fouls on them! The game is to be called fair, not even!!

This time of the year, the game is played where one team wins and moves on while the other team loses and goes home. I can assure you, the referees don't have a care of who wins or loses, especially since they come in from different parts of the state during region and sub-state games.

One last thing, why would you want to punish a team because of their fans behavior? Once the ball is tossed up, I, as a referee, am only concerned with two teams! It is up to game management to take care of the rest. We have enough things to worry about as it is! Now if some fan gets out of line while I am close by, yes I can have him/her removed if needed. I have seen a whole section of fans ejected because the section was cursing. Just have fun and cheer your team on.

What can you do about it? Send your money to TSSAA 3333 Lebanon Road Hermitage, TN 37076 , pay your dues, take a test, join a local association, pay more dues, buy a couple of uniforms, take more tests, go to camp (after you pay more money) and attend 7-10 meetings, and become a referee! They won't turn you down so "all of the people out there that would do these jobs" can do so!

I have never gone into a ballgame, nor have I ever heard of an official state "we need to screw ______ team tonight" or "______ team needs to lose this game". It just don't happen!! Every call we make, half of the gym will disagree with it. That is part of the game. All we do is call what we are given and move on. We can't help it if one team is grabbing, hacking, and fouling all of the time while one team is playing great defense and playing smart! Just because one team has fouled 8 times does not mean the other team has to have 8 fouls on them! The game is to be called fair, not even!!

This time of the year, the game is played where one team wins and moves on while the other team loses and goes home. I can assure you, the referees don't have a care of who wins or loses, especially since they come in from different parts of the state during region and sub-state games.

One last thing, why would you want to punish a team because of their fans behavior? Once the ball is tossed up, I, as a referee, am only concerned with two teams! It is up to game management to take care of the rest. We have enough things to worry about as it is! Now if some fan gets out of line while I am close by, yes I can have him/her removed if needed. I have seen a whole section of fans ejected because the section was cursing. Just have fun and cheer your team on.

Whistleblower,

Explain this to me how a team can be playing man-to-man in your shirt the whole first half, and they only get two fouls called on them for the half. There is no way you can play man-to-man and only foul twice in one half, there is NO WAY, I said NO WAY, this happens alot.

The Ref's need to think about this, two or three bad calls at the right time can change the outcome of a ballgame.

Well, I know melton07 and ernie are busy and haven't posted, and i am sure they are reading and getting tired of all the questions, but i will tell ya that "fairness" is all that espeicially Me, that is ask of an official, but unless you have attended games as a spectator instead of an official (bias)of course your going to say these things.

You might not do some of these things but it doesnt' mean it hasn't been done. We as fan's gripe allot about the officials, for a reason. Yea, it has been said a million times they are going to miss calls but when you get them on one end and the same thing happens two or three times on the other end and it doesn't get called it bothers you.

I myself would never want that job, but like they told me when i took mine, you knew what the job was when you took it and if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen...I appreciate the officials that do their job to the best of their ability but they are some that when they hit the floor you can tell how it is going to be period. I said this before, it needs to be consistant from beginning to end whether bad or good just be consistant. How can that be done? I have seen one game all year and will still brag about that game.

The officials did a great job yes, they missed a few but they kept control and at the first of the game had it calmed down and the players had at least 2 qrtrs to adjust the way they were calling it. Now, you take three qrts a ref doesn't call certain things and then bam! 4th qrt comes and they call a touchy fouls everytime. Now, What do you call that one? I will tell you my oppinion, it is game control no matter what you or anyone else wants to tell me that is what it is. I just like to see it called from beginning to end. Let the players be able to adjust to the calls and everybody have a fair chance.

The officials always want to say we didn't win or lose a game for someone but i will disagree on a few..if you start out calling it one way end up calling it the same. Basketball is somewhat like chess you have to figure your moves out and part of the strategie adjustment is the way an official calls the game...

One question for whatever official read and wants to answer, there is a statement of an official comes in from another part of the state and they don't care who wins or loses.

Do they Know what the team standings are? Whether they are top in the state or etc?

Whistleblower-- You are clearly a referee so I have a question. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, I'm just wanting to know what standards ya'll are taught to go by. When a player is driving in and pulls up for a jumpshot and the defensive player gets up underneath her and doesn't allow room for her to come down without making contact with her...is that a charge? That was called numerous times both ways. I thought that a charge was a player control foul. When a player pulls up for a jumpshot at the freethrow line and is going straight up and straight down, she is clearly not out of control. I also thought that the defensive player had to be completely still and wait for the offensive player to initate contact? I played for several years and then coached and I have never seen a game with so many charges like this called, and I'm talkin 10 or so called. Other than this, they did the best they could. I'm just trying to understand why these were called. Can you help me out?

the other nite in a region game girl shoots a three and the referee beside her signals a three

the other team throws the ball in we go for a steal foul is called then the referee under basket goes

to table and changes the three point to a two point then another three they call a two we have both

on tape game ends 56-54 the two points they took away could have very well sent it to overtime

Mr.Hustle,

Believe me it happens! There are many teams that are TAUGHT to play defense with your feet, don't try to block shots but put both hands straight up, don't reach, and go straight up on rebounds.

For some reason, girls are worse than guys at reaching and grabbing. If/when you have two good teams that play smart, it is beautiful. It is when you have two teams playing the same grab, hold, push stuff that turns a game into a free throw contest. I have had several games lately where both teams are playing great defense and not doing the silly stupid stuff. We never shot the bonus all night. Then you have the other side where two teams are playing goofy and all it seems we do is shoot free throws.

So yes Mr. Hustle, I have seen it many times. It all depends on how the teams have been coached!

I try to not say much at games, but when outright bad calls are made that are unfair and wrong, it is hard to be quite. Don"t be surprised if they try to steal the jc/cr game for cr. That is to bad for the parents that have shelled out time and money for these athletes, and the effort these players have put into it. jc is like the new england pats. They are a target because of their success. Go jc.

Why would they try to steal a game for CR, that may be the dumbest post I have seen on here yet. It seems things always go JC way at the end of the game. Some because of JC will to win, some just plain luck, and some pretty convenient calls or no calls. Don't come on here with that weak horsecrap post. At least say something funny or intelligent.

Can't help you b/sportsfan, sorry.

As far as the player control calls for me it is real simple. We are taught to referee the defense. Very simply put, watch the defense and you will be right. If the defense is there and it is torso to torso, it is a player control or if the offensive player passes off, it is a run over, still an offensive foul. From what I have heard on this thread, the officials were calling charges in both games so it sounds to me that things were 'consistant' as everyone loves to yell.

The play where a pull up shot takes place, the airborne shooter has a right to come down in the same spot. If you watch the defense, it should tell you what is going on. A big misconception is the defensive person has to be still, it is a false statement. All the defense has to do is to establish a guarding position. The defense can still be moving!

Hope this helps

wildstang,

Let me give you my take on fans from a referee's standpoint.

To sum it all up, I don't care what they say or do as long as they stay in the stands and don't curse or throw things. It is funny sometimes when I see people who's sole purpose at a ballgame is to 'abuse' referees. There seems to be some people out there with nothing better to do with themselves than to yell at referees during a game. It can be the most obvious call in the world and some people are going to go nuts and say something stupid! They really need a life!

Due to contrary belief, we don't set out to 'control' the game. I despise that word. Most of us are under the belief that the teams ought to be in 'control' of the game. All we are there to do is to call what is in front of us. We want the teams to decide the game and us make sure nobody gets an unfair advantage with something.

Can't help you b/sportsfan, sorry.

As far as the player control calls for me it is real simple. We are taught to referee the defense. Very simply put, watch the defense and you will be right. If the defense is there and it is torso to torso, it is a player control or if the offensive player passes off, it is a run over, still an offensive foul. From what I have heard on this thread, the officials were calling charges in both games so it sounds to me that things were 'consistant' as everyone loves to yell.

The play where a pull up shot takes place, the airborne shooter has a right to come down in the same spot. If you watch the defense, it should tell you what is going on. A big misconception is the defensive person has to be still, it is a false statement. All the defense has to do is to establish a guarding position. The defense can still be moving!

Hope this helps

I understand that a defensive player can be moving, I didn't word everything the way I needed to. A lot of the time the girls playing offense are more guilty of pushing off than the girls on defense. It was consistant and the girls had to adjust, I just still don't exactly understand why they called it that way because when she went up in the air they ran under her and she came down on them. Well, what goes up must come down and that wasn't her fault coming down on them. But there's a lot I don't understand...I should have been a blonde /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wildstang,

Let me give you my take on fans from a referee's standpoint.

To sum it all up, I don't care what they say or do as long as they stay in the stands and don't curse or throw things. It is funny sometimes when I see people who's sole purpose at a ballgame is to 'abuse' referees. There seems to be some people out there with nothing better to do with themselves than to yell at referees during a game. It can be the most obvious call in the world and some people are going to go nuts and say something stupid! They really need a life!

Due to contrary belief, we don't set out to 'control' the game. I despise that word. Most of us are under the belief that the teams ought to be in 'control' of the game. All we are there to do is to call what is in front of us. We want the teams to decide the game and us make sure nobody gets an unfair advantage with something.

sounds like you are one of the good ones, but trust me they are some out there do these things. Are you busy tonight /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Just kidding I am sure with the hype from the last game we are going to have some good ones we are due it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> If not that's the way the ball is going to bounce uh!! I can't say much bad about the last ones we had just the charge thing i didn't quite understand that... I am like gotta luv it just don't make since and it was called on both ends just like she said..I just hope if they are bad one's tonight its on both ends... thanks for your time...Keep up the good work....