Who Wins State AAA?

fish5

Okay, let's get this off the ground with one prediction for starters.

I think the range of talent across the state and how little interplay among some of them to display match-up discrepancies precludes a definitive favorite. But I AM basing the below on youth of Millington, lack of play outside their region; the comparatively weak schedule of Oak Ridge; and the fact WC is down just a little with the loss of its point guard. I'll still give the nod to Millington in the 1st round (a one-loss record says a lot about the team under any conditions, but this game could very easily go Greeneville's way as well - but neither team should get by Cleveland or Smyrna). District 9 AAA can again claim the title of best district in state AAA/ 8AAA is down to second these days). Both Smyrna and Shelbyville are the two hottest teams right now, running over good opponents (Cleveland as well), and I ONLY give the nod in the finals to Shelbyville because some of their key players have experience in the State finals game from 2 years ago. Good luck to all. If each team dodges injuries this next week, I see 'um as follows:

Round 1

Millington

Thursday 2:00 pm

Greeneville

Cleveland

Thursday 5:30 pm

Smyrna

Oak Ridge

Thursday 7:00 pm

Shelbyville

Bartlett

Thursday 8:30 pm

Wilson Central

Round 2

Millington vs. Smyrna

Shelbyville vs. Wilson Central

Finals

Shelbyville clips Smyrna

So...what do the rest of you think? (and please justify your predictions - don't just display your partisanship to your favorite team)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Central can still start a strong five with little Hassell in the mix but they will certainly be weaker from there on down. Burrough's can handle the ball well enough but what remains to be seen is if playing point will cost her some threes. From what I have seen Bud doesn't have anyone else ready that can handle the ball well enough.

Im for millington all the way... but you are looking past a very good bartlett team. I dont have a clue about the other teams but do know both teams from the 14aaa can win this.

Millington might be the real thing, but I think you're giving Bartlett too much credit. They lost to some mediocre teams and got crushed last outing by Millington on a neutral court. Millington still has a lot to prove outside W. Tennessee, but I don't think Bartlett is going to stack up at the State level - especially predicting Bartlett might win this. Millington has a good chance, but I don't think Bartlett is in the same class. But if Bartlett can get by a JC-less WC team, I will be a believer. JC or not, WC has enough talent to still be dangerous at state level. Minus JC won't weaken them to much with some adjustments.

Wilson Central can still start a strong five with little Hassell in the mix but they will certainly be weaker from there on down. Burrough's can handle the ball well enough but what remains to be seen is if playing point will cost her some threes. From what I have seen Bud doesn't have anyone else ready that can handle the ball well enough.

That's how I see it too. WC will probably get by Bartlett, but they won't be favored against either Oak Ridge or Shelbyville.

Experience has got to be in Wilson Central's favor in this first game. They have been to this point repeatedly. And they play in 9AAA which is not cake-walk. With district foes like Smyrna, Mt. Juliet, Lavergne and Beech they can't help but be prepared.

WC will not have the depth to win over Oak Ridge or Shelbyville unless Christopher receives a "miracle cure" as Tierny Jenkins did before the championship game a couple of years ago. Jenkins had her cast sawn off for the game and put back on the next morning.

Experience has got to be in Wilson Centrals' favor in this one. They have been to this point repeatedly. And they play in 9AAA which is not calk-walk. With district foes like Smyrna, Mt. Juliet, Lavergne and Beech they can't help but be prepared.

Smyrna could be the surprise. E.P. and Dymon are a dangerous combo, not to mention Ashley Meeks. She is probably the most solid contributor