Title 9

boonsie20

Title 9 is hurting boy's soccer in this country and i can't believe that there has been nothing done about it. Our boys in tennessee are at such a disadvantage in recruiting because i think there are only two public university's with soccer programs in tennessee. (memphis and etsu). This law is reverse discrimination and is killing the men's game in this country. To believe in 2008 UT does not have a program!!!!!! what do you think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Title 9 has hurt "minor" men's sports across the board. Not just soccer, wrestling, gymnastics, etc.

Title 9 is another proof of the law of unintended consequences. The law was intended to provide "equal" opportunity for female atheletes, certainly a worthwhile end.

As with most things, though, the devil is in the details. In this case the devil is interpreting what constitutes compliance with the law. Most schools have interpreted compliance as having an equal # of athletes of each gender or perhaps in proportion to the demographics of the school.

So, if a Div I school like UT has 85 football scholarships, and the student population of the school is 50/50 male/female, you can't have many other male sports or the mix gets way out of whack. On the other side, schools will institute new female sports like crew to up the number of female athletes.

The end result is that a lot of talented, hard working male athletes in sports like wrestling, soccer, gymnastics have nowhere to go after high school, because schools have chosen to drop minor men's sports to get into compliance with Title 9. In most cases, it's not a case of money. You see schools with lots of money refusing to reinstate minor programs even though alumni groups have agreed to fully fund the sport (see Yale wrestling).

TN might be missing a lot of Division 1 soccer programs, but you also have to look at the quality of some of the NCAA division 2 or NAIA programs here. Carson Newman, Tusculum, LMU, Gardner Webb all have had incredible seasons in the past several years. The opportunity is there in schools that have great programs. They just don't have the "awe" that people put Division 1 soccer into.

TN might be missing a lot of Division 1 soccer programs, but you also have to look at the quality of some of the NCAA division 2 or NAIA programs here. Carson Newman, Tusculum, LMU, Gardner Webb all have had incredible seasons in the past several years. The opportunity is there in schools that have great programs. They just don't have the "awe" that people put Division 1 soccer into.

bigG, i realize that these private smaller schools have great soccer. However, when it comes down to money a kid from tn can easily come closer to having a full ride at say e.t.s.u than a private school. Plus i am not worried about the size or division, i am worried that our boys in the smaller sports like soccer are not getting a fair shake!!! Look what happened to western ky and vandi's program. they were financially unstable at these schools and soccer was the first to go not football that cost millions to run. STUPID!!!!!!!!

bigG, i realize that these private smaller schools have great soccer. However, when it comes down to money a kid from tn can easily come closer to having a full ride at say e.t.s.u than a private school. Plus i am not worried about the size or division, i am worried that our boys in the smaller sports like soccer are not getting a fair shake!!! Look what happened to western ky and vandi's program. they were financially unstable at these schools and soccer was the first to go not football that cost millions to run. STUPID!!!!!!!!

Quite true. Good point.

torontofc, you bring up an excellent point in the fact that privite universities cost so much. i would much rather attend UT, and not just because of cost. But i choose to play soccer and that ment going to a school (one that in all reality i do not enjoy besides the soccer aspect). i would much rather be at a major university and this is the biggest reason (I feel) that a HUGH amount of soccer players who were very talented did not go on to play at the next level. Victor Upshaw (Bearden graduate and the most underrated player off that team) choose not to play because he didn't get scouted by a major university, Spencer Bobrowski (farragut grad) decided that he would rather attend UT then play (i think he was burned out on the sport though), and the list goes on and on. The appeal of a big school can be hugh when the time to decide comes. I think the biggest problem is the fact that alot of these high school kids don't understand how talented some D-II, NAIA, and even D-III teams are, I know i didn't until after i graduated. Take Lindsey Wilson (one of the top NAIA programs in the nation) for example, they can beat anyone in the country (D-1 through D-III). They use to play Indiana every year but Indiana quiet playing them because lindsey was winning and it didn't look good that a top D-I program was loosing to a NAIA program. I actually think they did play recently and the game was a tie or one goal difference in favor of IU (close game ethier way). I was shocked at the amount of talent that plays in the NAIA. High school kids look at these programs and write them off, when in reality some of these kids should be trying to play at some of these D-II and NAIA programs. BigG brings up a good point, there are alot of talented programs around tenn. Lee university, Lambuth, and King are a couple of more teams that have been having recent success. LMU is an extremly talented program who made the national championship game and i think some people overlook that accomplishment. I am glad to hear of more kids from tenn signing with these programs and with the D-I programs as well. I've watched alot of talented kids decide to hang up the cleats after high school and only end up regreting the decision.

USC, where do attend? I played at Carson Newman, and found there was some amazing talent in D2 even back then.

While at a college showcase tournament this club season, I was sitting in a seminar and the speaker was telling us about D2 schools and NAIA and it all comes down to if the player wants to play or not. He was speaking on how he was a D2 scout and how he would go up to players and tell them where he was from and they would walk away. No one would even give him a chance. Most players today only want to play in the big time. If you look at the MLS where the players went, plenty of them are from D2 and NAIA schools. It all comes down to if the player wants to be able to play in a higher level of competition then high school.

While at a college showcase tournament this club season, I was sitting in a seminar and the speaker was telling us about D2 schools and NAIA and it all comes down to if the player wants to play or not. He was speaking on how he was a D2 scout and how he would go up to players and tell them where he was from and they would walk away. No one would even give him a chance. Most players today only want to play in the big time. If you look at the MLS where the players went, plenty of them are from D2 and NAIA schools. It all comes down to if the player wants to be able to play in a higher level of competition then high school.

When I coached at Tusculum, this very thing happened. If you weren't from a big school, they would politely laugh and walk away...