Title 9

boonsie20

p.s - again i am looking for ideas to fight this reverse discrimination and don't give a crapt if you play for some small college and have had a good year.

10-4 Toronto. You are in charge. Listen up kids, only posts that fit Toronto's expectations are allowed on this thread.

BigG, make sure you police this thread properly.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tin Man is reborn in ucsoccer...Welcome back. Its been awhile.

I just want to say to all the seniors and juniors out there looking to play in college..THERE ARE PLENTY OF OUT OF STATE COLLEGES DII DIII NAIA THAT WOULD LOVE YOU TO PLAY FOR THEM..put the initiative out there..emails, phone calls, and visits..anything to get there attention. Dont feel like you have to stay in Tennessee. As someone posted earlier in the thread..Even DIII schools will throw money at you..It might not be DEFINED as athletic money, but its all the same. There are plenty of chances for players to play, laziness affects most kids in this matter. If you want to play, there is a place for everyone.

don't really know who tinman is referring to but i hope it a complement? sorry torontofc i didn't mean to bring your tread down i'll be sure to stick to topic next time. oh and to answer your question (which by the way took me no time to come up with an answer) but um azuza pacific your NAIA champions are FILLED completely full with all kids from california (besides two players but even your top D-I programs have one or two forigners) and Georgetown (KY) are a just two that popped into my head. if you really wanted me to i could find ALOT more schools that have american players. I'm just saying it's a shame to watch all these kids cry about no where to play when all the schools that DO have programs sign kids that shouldn't even be playing high school ball. i see it happen day in and day out. Ok let's say that title 9 didn't exist...... how many schools in Tenn would add D-I programs? Vandy, UT, and i think there's one more in nashville. Great three more soccer programs that would sign (in reality) maybe ten (all together) tennesseeians a year if that. I'm telling you all instead of worrying about the places that don't have programs, relize that there are TONS of programs for kids to play at. Someone said that there were over 400 D-III programs, that's alot of programs and i know there are TONS more. I understand that title 9 has litlerally ruined lives and i'm all for getting reed of it. i was just offering a different point of veiw.

Haha i know who you are talking about now.... he is a very good player and got alot of playtime this past year in a NAIA program. Another example of an american having success in naia. I have played with that kid and watched him grow up playing. I know he could have gone and played at D-I program. Pinball, are you going to continue playing after high school?

10-4 Toronto. You are in charge. Listen up kids, only posts that fit Toronto's expectations are allowed on this thread.

BigG, make sure you police this thread properly.

Yeah, it's on my "watch" list. Most have been pretty good. I think that Toronto was trying to state that he would like to get back on topic. I just think he could have phrased it a bit better.

bigG, i realize that these private smaller schools have great soccer. However, when it comes down to money a kid from tn can easily come closer to having a full ride at say e.t.s.u than a private school. Plus i am not worried about the size or division, i am worried that our boys in the smaller sports like soccer are not getting a fair shake!!! Look what happened to western ky and vandi's program. they were financially unstable at these schools and soccer was the first to go not football that cost millions to run. STUPID!!!!!!!!

Those football programs do cost a lot to run, but you have to look at it another way. Those football programs also bring in millions of dollars a year. At schools like UT where you have a 100.000+ seat football stadium with tickets starting at $40-50, they're going to generate a lot of revenue. Not many people though are interested in soccer at the college level though from a fan standpoint. They don't generate much money which is why a lot of them are financially unstable.

Outside of the BCS conferences in football, very few football programs make money. Most, in fact, lose thousands. I recently read that about 90% of all college (all levels, divisions) football programs lose money. Some will argue, however, that these schools don't lose money on football, because it serves as advertising and will help to bring students in.

Outside of the BCS conferences in football, very few football programs make money. Most, in fact, lose thousands. I recently read that about 90% of all college (all levels, divisions) football programs lose money. Some will argue, however, that these schools don't lose money on football, because it serves as advertising and will help to bring students in.

If its not football it is baseball or basketball

At the school i went to the basketball and soccer teams got the same amount of scholarship money

lets see here basketball 8 full scholarships and soccer 8 full scholarships basketball 12 people tops needed and soccer 18-24 and most of the soccer scholarships went to the internationals unless you were a special american highly recruited by the coach

we as a soccer family just have to accept that soccer is on the bottom of the food chain but we are above hockey and keep striving to educate people about the game both players and parents

There actually has been alot of Naia recruiting done in the Knoxville area..... 4 from knoxville played at UC this year, five played at King, and six played at Tenn Wesleyan. i know there are alot more playing NCAA schools and probolly other NAIA institutions. I promise that there are plenty of oppurtunities to play, you just have to look for them. Trust me i had to do my research. It can be done. Title 9 seems as though it effects alot more D-I programs and the simple fact that there is a lack of revinue. i think this is a shame because i know that in a tiny college like mine, we can create enough interest. I would hope that you could draw enough interest at a school like UT and diffenetly with it being in Knoxville. It is about advertising and getting the name out. I just think that UT could put together a good enough team to compete with the rest of the country. I know that UT's men soccer could bring in more money into the institution. facility is already there, so it's just down to travel, gear, and scholorship. i couldn't imagine those costing UT a alot more money. I know the attention it would attract would bring alot of money back into the school. regardless of what people might say there is talent in knoxville and i know that knoxville would love to see these kids successed at the next level. The soccer community in knoxville is pretty big and i know they would embrace the UT men's team.

You can't fight title 9, because when you try to fight title 9 all you are fighting is other people saying the same thing you are.... "it's not fair." I'll bring up a quote my high school coach once told me "Life's not fair" It's just how it is. The only way to overcome title 9 is by creating enough interest. The sad thing about college is it's another buissness. The only job of the president of our college is to bring more money into our college (wethier it be donations or fundraising). That's the job of a president of the instition to find money.

"Some have argued for the exclusion of football from Title IX because it not only costs more to fund a football program, but it earns more money, which funds other sports. This is a myth. Among NCAA football programs in all competitive divisions, 81% spend more than they bring in and contribute nothing to other sport budgets. Even among Division I-A football programs, more than a third are running deficits in excess of $1 million per year."

Title IX does not reduce the number of opportunites for male athletes. It only states that the opportunites for men and women be equal. For example if there are x scholarships given to men there have to be x given to women. With football taking up 100 scholarships, that would leave fewer for the other men's teams. The problem is not with Title IX, but with the way that the athletic department decides to divy up the men's scholarships. Whether college or highschool soccer takes a beating against the other sports.