Northeast High School

Here we go again...another PE teacher not getting the attention/recognition they need.

First, you and wiseguy are missing the point. I am not arguing the importance of obesity education or any other part of physical education. I am saying that job does not require anywhere near the time outside of normal school hours that is required of a regular classroom teacher to do their job properly.

Of course obesity is a critical problem. I know all too well about obesity because it runs in my family. However, a lot of those problems are poor decision making...not being uneducated about the facts of obesity. That is why I brought up the human nature component of my argument. Your need to feel important about what you do is clouding your judgment as to where it fits in the "big picture".

I consider living healthy something that should be a matter of fact...like behaving properly in the classroom....you just do it. Better yet, if you want to talk about important health issues, let's make sex education its own semester long course. How about a seperate course for drinking and drugs. You can be highly educated, but die at a very young age by drinking and driving. These are all critical topics and need their due coverage. However, they do not merit the time or attention that the basic classroom does. So, you and wiseguy can get off your high horses and come back to reality and to your proper place in the "big picture".

I could run you in the ground on this argument for days, but don't feel like writing a dissertation on CoachT. The bottom line is that physical education does not place the demands on a coach like the regular classroom.

Not sure who you think you are running in the ground. And I am glad you agree obesity is a serious problem since over 65 million people in America are considered obese.

Maybe you had a poor physical education teacher, but mine growing up (in a public school system) talked about abstinence and safe sex as well as alcohol and drugs and their effects. A physical education teacher has just as an important role in the school system as any other teacher. And to be frankly honest I am about as far from a PE teacher as Dick Cheney is, (only a joke, i'm actually a conservative republican) but I think you get my drift.

So back to my original point: this is an embarrassment to the school by still not having a coach. The administration needs some help.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is an embarrassment, but we are not in their shoes. It is to my knowledge that the administration has been changed the past few months. With change come new ideas, and maybe, just maybe the new principal wants something totally different than what was offered earlier. Why is the current coaches not being considered? You may not like him, but sutherland and the dad crew has kept the team together threw all this mess. So what is everyones problem with him. Would you have remained loyal to the boys even when you know that you may not be back?

Good luck guys, and see you on Saturday night!

Question: Why do all the quality coaches leave Clarksville?

My Answer: Could it be no respect or support? The talent is here, but why chase off the home town guys?

Better question is why good coaches don't got to Clarksville?

I see these as possible reasons:

1) NE and Clarksville community don't seem to have a problem with keeping quality basketball coaches. The Kentucky effect could be part of the problem. Basketball is and always will be #1 in Kentucky. Basketball seems to be #1 in Clarksville as well. The farther south, football becomes the dominate sport while basketball takes a back seat.

2) Montgomery County AD...the position and person has to go and let the schools decide their own fate and programs.

3) The biggest mistake of all is the middle school football programs in Montgomery County/Clarksville. It doesn't exist but basketball exists. Football communities are a way of life and pride in most communities in the south with football programs for kid??™s beginning as early as 5 years old. By the time they reach high school, they are better adapted to play the game and the parents are educated to support the sport as well.

Conclusion: Montgomery County/Clarksville need to secede from Tennessee and become part of Kentucky where basketball is #1 and football is a secondary thought.

Agree and disagree!

Agree: Montgomery county middle school football is a joke. My boy played for New Providence middle and it is truly ran by fathers that know nothing about the game. He had a linemen running the ball, the boys did not have a blocking scheme, and many of the parents called it pay to play. Half the boys on that team were very talented, but were more in touch with being wanna be gang bangers that failed the eighth grade. Montgomery County looses too many athletes for there is no grade requirements to play middle school pop warner football. Trust me it is a joke, and that is why my son plays for Fort Campbell High School.

Disagree: I believe the turn in Kentucky from Basketball has made it's point. From high school to the college level. Kentucky has won the last 2 state vs. state games. Kentucky college programs are becoming a success. Kentucky has had two winning seasons, Western has won a championship before moving to D-1, Eastern Kentucky was ranked last year, Louisville is a parenial power in the nation, and Georgetown in Lexington has won several championships in their division. What has Tennessee done? Complain about Fulmer yearly, and isn't UT, Memphis, Vandy, and MTSU basketball the leader in Sports in Tennessee Now. Women's National Champs, Memphis was a Finalist, UT is a yearly Pearl Power, MTSU women are strong in the Sun Belt, even APSU is leading the OVC year in and Out.

So, Tennessee is a football state! Think the tides are turning in Tennessee from football to basketball. Don't get me wrong, but Kentucky football is becoming fun to watch and exciting to the Kentucky native.

My son now has a ring from Fort Campbell, Kentucky. I am glad we made the move! Maybe Montgomery County needs to see what they have done, and we can see a change from basketball to football.

Final: Looking at the Montgomery County Web site job listings and you will laugh. Northwest has Lost a legend to murder, saw a great coach leave after taking his wife's life, and has lost the new basketball coach, cooper may leave Northeast, Northeast football has an opening, Montgomery Central has a football coach Opening, Northeast needs an entire staff, Kenwood is looking for their 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years, Northwest is looking for a staff, and the list goes on and on. The major problem with Montgomery County is one word, Consistancy! Who wants to work in a county with all these problems year in and out.

rapbwood,

Our football programs in Knox County are run through the recreation departments in each area of the county and we have good football programs.

blacknight,

Now admittedly I don't know the rules for Ft. Campbell and Kentucky, but how can your son go to a public middle school in Tennessee and then play at Ft. Campbell when that is a military base and one would guess players would have to live on base to participate for the team?

We moved to Fort Campbell last year before I left for Iraq. Was on the housing list for about 8 months, and that aloud my son to transfer to Fort Campbell. So we no longer live in Clarksville. With all the issues of violence in the Clarksville community, we decided to move to base where there are little to no issues.

Plus Coach Berner and his staff are class acts, and i wanted to see my child play in a quality program. Benefits of being military. My child is in a school, Fort Campbell High, that instills discipline and academics and athletics. The high school plays 8-12 grade.

We moved to Fort Campbell last year before I left for Iraq. Was on the housing list for about 8 months, and that aloud my son to transfer to Fort Campbell. So we no longer live in Clarksville. With all the issues of violence in the Clarksville community, we decided to move to base where there are little to no issues.

Plus Coach Berner and his staff are class acts, and i wanted to see my child play in a quality program. Benefits of being military. My child is in a school, Fort Campbell High, that instills disciple and academics and athletics. The high school plays 8-12 grade.

This sounds like a add or a recruiting poster. Shucks makes me want to go there.

differentperspective,

Before you go and attack me thinking I'm a distraught PE teacher, stop in your tracks Bubba. I had a PE teacher roll out the balls making us play indoor soccer, basketball, pickle ball, volleyball softball and flag football. AND we had a tournament in each and every sport.

I also had a teacher in an academic subject that never taught from a book and passed out copied page after page of work. I never saw him grade a single paper except when he did the Gateway or a final exam.

A good teacher can be found in a Physical Science class or in a Physical Education. In anatomy I was taught about the anal canal. Here is what I learned...everyone has one and they all stink to high heavens...just like you opinion.

I am a graduate from UT with a major in HISTORY. But I do not want to teach...I want a job that will pay me what I'm worth and I don't have to listen to whiny-assed parents like you!!! I am waiting on being accepted to law enforcement, AKA the FBI.

Ooooooooooooooh...the FBI...I am highly impressed. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. But, I am just a lowly teacher and coach (much sarcasm) who will never be paid what they are worth (no sarcasm). I am not in this for the money and I accept that as part of the job...along with the whiny-toeed parents.

I can tell you graduated from UT...you lack reading comprehension. As I said earlier, my oldest son was a two-year starter and my other son probably will be. They are excellent athletes and the coaches don't hear a word from me except, "How can I help?" However, their performance in the classroom better be just as good if not better than on the field of play. They are not going to end up in the NFL. But, football does teach excellent life lessons you cannot get in the classroom.

There are plenty of bad teachers out there. We all know that. I have worked with many. And, I know very well that some PE teachers do an AWESOME job and actually teach. However, anyone with a normal college reading comprehension level would see what I am saying. If you have a classroom teacher who does their job correctly and a PE teacher who does their job correctly, the PE teacher will have much more time left over to attend to coaching duties.

So back to my original point: this is an embarrassment to the school by still not having a coach. The administration needs some help.

Now, this is a point I do agree with...but only to a point.

No matter how much I believe that academics come first...taking care of academics and finding a coach can be mutually exclusive. The head coach does not have to be a teacher. There is one other school in the county whose head coach is not a teacher.

But, this is where I cut them some slack. The current principal just got the job in either January or February...and I can only imagine what it must be like to take over that job in the middle of a school year and have to find a new football coach. Not a very easy task. That said, I know they are taking it serious and are trying to get highly qualified coaches in to replace many of the previous ones. But, as several have stated on here, they keep getting turned down.

So, we can debate the why's of that all day long. But, I do believe the new administration is working diligently to find a highly qualified person. And, it would be better to find the right person too late than to find the wrong person just to fit a timeline. Many teams in the NFL (and other leagues) suffer for a long time because of short-sighted decision making.

It does appear that the overall coaching atmosphere in Clarksville/Montgomery County Schools is not one that many of the good coaches desire or they would be coming in. I don't think this is just a Northeast problem.

Now, this is a point I do agree with...but only to a point.

No matter how much I believe that academics come first...taking care of academics and finding a coach can be mutually exclusive. The head coach does not have to be a teacher. There is one other school in the county whose head coach is not a teacher.

But, this is where I cut them some slack. The current principal just got the job in either January or February...and I can only imagine what it must be like to take over that job in the middle of a school year and have to find a new football coach. Not a very easy task. That said, I know they are taking it serious and are trying to get highly qualified coaches in to replace many of the previous ones. But, as several have stated on here, they keep getting turned down.

So, we can debate the why's of that all day long. But, I do believe the new administration is working diligently to find a highly qualified person. And, it would be better to find the right person too late than to find the wrong person just to fit a timeline. Many teams in the NFL (and other leagues) suffer for a long time because of short-sighted decision making.

It does appear that the overall coaching atmosphere in Clarksville/Montgomery County Schools is not one that many of the good coaches desire or they would be coming in. I don't think this is just a Northeast problem.

There is currently a young man who has worked his tail off since the other staffs decision to quit. Now if he is good enough to run this program for six months when all the prep work is done why not give him a shot. The off season is were most of the ground work goes into a good program and sounds like this guy is trying and the current administration has trusted him this long. Now they are either making a huge error now or they are taking advantage of this guy.

Mr. Black Night,

Being on the waiting list to live on base at Ft.C is a BS rule and everyone knows it. You can call it in a senxe, RECRUITING!!! I do agree with you that Coach Berner and his staff are a class act and I know them quite well. YOu can be on that WAITING list for years and be allowed to go there while you live in the public sector and should be going to a public school. This is just my opinion. Quite frankly i really do not care where they go to school.

I have been at Kenwood HS for 11 years now and I am the only one on staff with the FB team that has been the consistence. MY opinion is that there are some in the county that do not realize the benefits of sports in kids lives. I can remember a few years ago when they wanted to cut after school programs. If that happened what would the schools look like.. A GHOST TOWN.

I do agree with those of you that think Mont.Co. gets hurt by not having a middle school program. It does not lie with money but with INSURANCE. Perhaps if we had middle school football we could compete yearly with all the other schools. When freshman get to these schools, we have to teach them the basics and that puts us behind.

While it is joke that it has taken a long time to hire a coach, lets just hope they hire the right coach who will be there for years to come!