Knox Halls

coachtinsider

I would really like to heard your thoughts on how the red devils played at every position group of the field (QB, O-line, D-line, RBs, ETC..)

Not sure I watched closely enough to give a fair assessment along those lines. I helped set up the concession stand, cooked on the grill , sold Donkey Drop tickets, and watched a couple of players near and dear to me when they were on the field.

I'll do my best though...

Defense - Overall A-

Tons of talent and depth. Fast and tough. Some of the 1s started making mistakes later as they got tired, but overall this group has the potential to help carry this team deep into the post-season. I think the d-backs are improved overall from last year. The verdict is still out on how they'll (the d-backs) handle the deep ball though as DB didn't seem to have a deep threat? The d-line is anchored by one of the best players in East Tennessee, so for them to get a grade less than A would be shortsighted. LB play will be the key between this group being "solid" and being "lights out" IMO. They certainly have the potential. Several young guys really seemed to have started stepping up here (at LB) and there are also a couple of veterans returning who seem to be moving instinctively to the ball. A shut out is a shut out. Other than 2-3 decent runs by their quick little tailback, DB had to have been very frustrated by our team speed on defense. I also think their line was getting away with a lot of holding with very little referreeing going on; but we probably were too? This 5A school out of Kingsport was misisng a few players, according to some posters in the DB thread, but we did see their top TB and they surely weren't missing any more than we were. Speaking of their TB, he (#2) was very quick and against a lesser defense he might have run wild? Again, I think some may not realize it yet, but this Red Devil defense is fast and seem to swarm well to the ball. Why did I give them an A-? I still think they need to shed blocks a little better, and also I just don't think our secondary was really tested.

Offense - Overall C+

Tyler Turner, last years starter, is still playing baseball. It's really difficult to give a legitimate grade to this group with so many projected starters still out. Also still out are RB Kevin Waggoner, RB James O'Laughlin, and big Steve Hill. I'm sure I'm leaving a couple more out, but you get my point. The o-line seemed to give the QB, Zach Dowdy, plenty of time and I liked the way he stayed in the pocket and even threw a block here and there. He did well. I still expect Turner will add another dimmension behind center with his athleticism. Big Zack Shaddix played well on both sides of the ball and being just a rising Junior, could be a real force before it's all said and done. Commenting any more on the O with so many probable starters still out would be both futile and irrelevent. I did not see any Wesley Kitts type running. I think we'll be more RB by committee in the fall. That said, someone may step up, like Wesley did last year, and shock us all?

There will be no scrimmage this week, so the Red and White game is our final chance to see these young men in a game type situation before August.

Everyone come out on Monday, the 19th and be sure to buy your Donkey Drop tickets before then.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

halls will lose their 1st game of the year.

You sound scared.

I know a lot of folks who think the newest "Nike Team" will start the season 0-1.

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

What kinda return on investment would that be?

I asked the following question in a forum about DB...

(btgoG @ May 12 2008 - 11:12 AM)

It was good having y'all over last Friday. We look forward to seeing you again in August.

What were Indian's fans impressions of Halls; specifically our defense.

I'll still be glad to hear what you have to say about the offense, but we were missing our QB, two top RBs, and our starting right tackle; among others.

I thought your RB, #2, ran the ball well for you.

...and got the following response...

Your team looked very good . I think when you get all of your players back ,you will be very strong.Your big boy,''45 ''was a hard matchup for our DB's.When both of us have all of the parts back in a couple of months it will be a good matchup to get ready for our seasons. I think our coaches can take last friday night and build on some things that I saw.I think our outside linebackers looked much stronger then last years group ,James and Lawson were big hitters.I don't know all the names,but 85 was a hitter as well in the middle.The big kid "36" can be a complete monster over the center or at middle linelacker.Look forward to seeing your team in a few weeks.

I think he's off on a couple of his numbers, but his comments were still very complimentary.

i also think that shaddox will be a good player. sadly though he is out for the rest of spring and until the dead period because of a broken arm. he has to have surgery to get pins in his arm. i just hate to see anybody get hurt.

I talked to Zack when he came off the field the second time. He told me his arm hurt, but that he was having a lot of fun out there. He actually said that the first time he was hit on the arm by a helmet, he stayed out there despite the pain. It was only after the second time his arm was hit by a helmet that he came off the field for good. This tells me he's a pretty tough young man as he likely played a few more plays with a broken arm.

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I had hoped it was just a deep arm bruise. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference without x-rays. I expect he'll be back. I hope he's able to continue to work out this summer with the broken arm. We'll need him to provide depth on the line this fall. IMO, Zack can't afford to take his Junior year off and expect to come back as a Senior, having already missed his sophomore season. Only time will tell, but I believe he has the right attitude. Most of all, he's a fine young man.

You sound scared.

I know a lot of folks who think the newest "Nike Team" will start the season 0-1.

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

see you in august. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You sound scared.

see you in august. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Halls did not see DB's top running back. #2 is just that, #2. He is more of a scatback. #32 Chris Sensabaugh started as a freshman last year. DB has had maybe 2 freshmen kids in 25 years get any varsity time. Chris not only was moved up after 4 games or so, but he owned it as well. He is special. You will see him on Saturday's before too long. He is kin to Gerald Sensabaugh of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Chris is bigger and stronger then the back Halls saw. Many thought Chris saved DB's season when he was moved up later in the season last year.

Halls did not see DB's top running back. #2 is just that, #2. He is more of a scatback. #32 Chris Sensabaugh started as a freshman last year. DB has had maybe 2 freshmen kids in 25 years get any varsity time. Chris not only was moved up after 4 games or so, but he owned it as well. He is special. You will see him on Saturday's before too long. He is kin to Gerald Sensabaugh of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Chris is bigger and stronger then the back Halls saw. Many thought Chris saved DB's season when he was moved up later in the season last year.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully he'll get to play in the August scrimmage. It'll be a good test for us; and for him.