Knox Halls

coachtinsider

What do the Red Devil fans think about the new district schedule? Personally, I'm glad Maryville is in 6A where they belong. They would have been in 5A 4 years ago cept some schools moved up and that left Maryville down in 4A. I kinda like the thought of playing the same people in football, baseball, softball and basketball.

Now I dont know if this is true, but I heard someone called Coach Julian a month ago and told him this is the district he would be in. Can somebody verify this rumor?

I am still trying to figure this new system out. Is there a District 3 AAA champion or a District 3 AAA/5A champion and a District 3 AAA/6A champion.

One example, if I understand right, Ridgeway is the only 5A school in thier district. They have to finish 1st or 2nd against all 6A schools to get an automatic bid. There are some odd senarios that become possible and the wild card system appears fishy to me.

I don't see less travel or the addition of "natural rivals" for Halls. I don't see Oak Ridge, Catholic, Campbell Co., Karns or A.C. more natural rivals than South Doyle, West or Maryville.

I expect Halls to always compete well, no matter what is thrown at them.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard of the battles with OR and Karns from older folks in Halls. I would think those schools would be ones that Halls would like to play. I also do not see West and South Doyle as being big rivals unless SD still had the wild guy as there coach (Swafford). I can promise you AC will be a big game as long as Kerr is there and Catholic is a game that will be big for Coach because of his friendship with Pemberton. Campbell co will be an easy win, Powell and Central are always a tossup but we should win more of these than we lose.

I've always heard of the battles with OR and Karns from older folks in Halls. I would think those schools would be ones that Halls would like to play. I also do not see West and South Doyle as being big rivals unless SD still had the wild guy as there coach (Swafford). I can promise you AC will be a big game as long as Kerr is there and Catholic is a game that will be big for Coach because of his friendship with Pemberton. Campbell co will be an easy win, Powell and Central are always a tossup but we should win more of these than we lose.

I agree LSMFT, Oak Ridge and Karns could be rivalries..they typically are good in the other sports so that adds fuel to the fire. AC and Halls used to play seemingly every year. I think it used to be a bit of a rivalry. Catholic will be interesting with the two schools scrimmaging the past 2 or 3 years. I think the only somewhat rivalry we had that we lost was Maryville, but who's to say we wouldn't still play them as a non-region game. We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out the next couple of months. I think I like the district/region setup for the 09 season. It is crazy that South Doyle or Lenoir City could be getting an automatic bid in District 4, but maybe that will generate some excitement for those two schools...I hope so.

haveityourway,

I dont think Maryville will pick us to be a nondistrict game. From looking at the brackets, they only need 2 nondistrict games and 1 will always be Alcoa. Just guessing, but if they wanted a game that would rake in some money each and every year, I would go for Oak Ridge, Sevier Co (might be to far to go). D-B would be a great game but there aint no way in heck they will travel all the way to Kingsport.

haveityourway,

I dont think Maryville will pick us to be a nondistrict game. From looking at the brackets, they only need 2 nondistrict games and 1 will always be Alcoa. Just guessing, but if they wanted a game that would rake in some money each and every year, I would go for Oak Ridge, Sevier Co (might be to far to go). D-B would be a great game but there aint no way in heck they will travel all the way to Kingsport.

For some reason I got in my mind that there were only 8 teams in each district, thus 7 games that you had to play. So with only 2 non-region games, who do you think Halls will play outside of district if the districts are set up as they have been projected. Will Halls keep Gibbs and Sevier County or Bearden? Anyone got a guess? Also, is the new Hardin Valley school going to have a varsity team it's first couple of years? I thought I heard somewhere that they would only have freshmen and jv squads the first couple years.

For some reason I got in my mind that there were only 8 teams in each district, thus 7 games that you had to play. So with only 2 non-region games, who do you think Halls will play outside of district if the districts are set up as they have been projected. Will Halls keep Gibbs and Sevier County or Bearden? Anyone got a guess? Also, is the new Hardin Valley school going to have a varsity team it's first couple of years? I thought I heard somewhere that they would only have freshmen and jv squads the first couple years.

I think you are right. Valley has two years of freshmen and JV.

I will be interested to see who plays who in non-district games. Some of the local 3 and 4A schools will have to play 5 non-district games. (AE, Fulton, etc...)

I would love to see Maryville play Oak Ridge. I wouldn't mind seeing Maryville play Riverdale,McCallie,MBA or Brentwood Academy. If Halls gets much better like I think they will I wouldn't mind seeing Maryville play them. 10 years ago Halls was the region opponent Maryville respected the most. Halls fell on some hard times.

rebelron,

You are far smarter than you let on. You know that Maryville is never, ever, ever going to travel 2 hours to play a non-district game. You have got to be kidding to think that GQ would do that. Look how far they have travelled in the past. Only once in my memory have they ever gone as far as Elizabethton and that was for the semi's.

rebelron,

You are far smarter than you let on. You know that Maryville is never, ever, ever going to travel 2 hours to play a non-district game. You have got to be kidding to think that GQ would do that. Look how far they have travelled in the past. Only once in my memory have they ever gone as far as Elizabethton and that was for the semi's.

The Maryville administration doesn't like traveling far. But! Having a home and home series with those teams I mentioned would be great. I will admit seeing Maryville travel 80-90 miles to take on teams that aren't that great isn't very appealing to me. Maryville did put MOWest on the schedule a few years ago. That was a 60 mile drive.

The Maryville administration doesn't like traveling far. But! Having a home and home series with those teams I mentioned would be great. I will admit seeing Maryville travel 80-90 miles to take on teams that aren't that great isn't very appealing to me. Maryville did put MOWest on the schedule a few years ago. That was a 60 mile drive.

RR didn't the rebels play a Home and home with smyrna back in the 90's?