Wing-T in 5A football

I've lived here less than a year and have already heard more "woulda, coulda, shouldas" regarding teams that were close to beating Maryville than I have every other sports team in my life combined. Right now my guess is that opponents take is Maryville should be about 40-20 over the last 4 years, and if they had been in 5A they would not have even gotten a snap off. That said, even before I moved here I had learned to never count GQ and Company out of a game based on talent alone no matter who is on the other side.

Solly, without furrver adue, let me offishully welcum you two Mairvul.... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solomon, I think there are plenty of success stories in CA, TX, OK, CO and most all of the state champions in the west run some version of the spread offense. It is true that some are just wing-double slot teams in the gun without a TE but many teams in TX are now putting their top RB at QB and just letting him run the dang ball all day long. I hate it, it ain't my style but thats whats happening around the nation. I still love the I and the midline option game myself but just because it hasn't happened here yet doesn't mean it isn't coming.

Solly, without furrver adue, let me offishully welcum you two Mairvul.... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Only 9 months after I moved here. Now we just got to get GQ to go back to the wing T. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Solomon, I think there are plenty of success stories in CA, TX, OK, CO and most all of the state champions in the west run some version of the spread offense. It is true that some are just wing-double slot teams in the gun without a TE but many teams in TX are now putting their top RB at QB and just letting him run the dang ball all day long. I hate it, it ain't my style but thats whats happening around the nation. I still love the I and the midline option game myself but just because it hasn't happened here yet doesn't mean it isn't coming.

I'm sure it will. But I still don't really like it.

Solomon is a name that indicates wisdom sooooooo..................if it occurs on a regular basis in Georgia in the largest classification why is it not doable in Tennessee?

Lowndes Co. not only won it in GA in the largest classification ( I think 6A), but every game in the play-offs was a rat-killing.

So with your infinite wisdom, explain to me why Tennessee would be different and for the record ( I assume that you are a Maryville fan and they have had a great run)..............Maryville would not be very good match for either Lowndes or next door in AL with Prattville; those folks are different kind of beasts.

And as far as spreading it out.................that Wilson Central bunch runs every set known to man; they can be shoe to shoe in one set and on the next set, they are sideline to sideline. they are very tough to defend!

Riverdale was more wingish than WC, but they were primarily an option team.................the Riverdale offensive line was best in state (no contest); they just could not throw very well and I think that was due to lack of receivers. QB was great on options and had a good enough arm to throw, but he just did not have "targets".

The 4-5A league was very balanced this season...............probably the best team in the state not to make the play-offs was Lavergne ( a spread team on every snap)...............they had a couple of very tough close losses and some very untimely injuries.

Offense is kind of like "flavor of the month" and right now; the wing is not in high regard in TN, but I still have to say "balony" to the conjecture to NO in 4A or 5A...............if you will be real honest with yourself and go back and look at the Hillsboro-Maryville championship game; I really believe that if Hillsboro had not tried that silly Boot Pass...............they would have won the game. Yes, Riverdale fans----Aydellott will throw it!! (LOL).

You have your opinion and I appreciate it; I just do not agree with it.................lets agree to disagree!

ole! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Thing is Coach A does pass so infrequently there is NO timing between his QB and his receivers. Also we concentrate SO much on the run, the passing plays he does have do NOT get practiced enough for anybody to really know them. Unless he finds a way to strike a happy medium R'dale WILL NOT see the Gold Ball again. He had ONE pass play that worked EVERY time it was thrown to the TE Verge. Unfortunately it only got used TWICE all season. While BOTH were for TD's some felt some more should have been used as Trey could throw. No he is NOT Sonny Grey, but he can throw if needed.

R'dale NOW has a QB with NFL physical size and arm. Hopefully we will get to see both used this year. While WC did get beat in the regular season, they did show that a blend of WingT and the pass could be successful when they came back and BEAT R'dale in the playoffs.

You definitely have to balance passing and running to be effective. I am interested to see what Smyrna does this yr without the Gray/Wilks show. We all know they still have the running attack with Bryson just a freshman.

While Bryson IS a very good back he CAN be stopped. R'dale held him to NEGATIVE yards in their game this year. Plus if Smyrna is foolish (which they are not) enough to be a one trick show this year it will not be good for them.

Like I said it IS going to be an interesting year in Region 4 this year.

While Bryson IS a very good back he CAN be stopped. R'dale held him to NEGATIVE yards in their game this year. Plus if Smyrna is foolish (which they are not) enough to be a one trick show this year it will not be good for them.

Like I said it IS going to be an interesting year in Region 4 this year.

Word is that they have another hot-shot freshman QB with a great arm moving up......just what we didn't need to hear.

Only 9 months after I moved here. Now we just got to get GQ to go back to the wing T. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well bettur lait than never.

On tha wing-T, Mairvul has beet sum good teems that run hit. Eye wood say Coach A's teems at Hillsboro with Fridge Bryant, Tibbs, Gray, Fisher Jr., Sanders, etc. wood all qwalify. Eye wood say tha 2002 Hillsboro teem was one of tha best teems Mairvul has ever plaid frum a raw tallent standpoint.

By tha way Solly, ere yore kids workin' on that 40 time? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm not a huge Wing-T fan, but it can be effective. To me, though, its the ultimate "mascara" offense. It covers up for weaknesses up front or a size differential. Wes Elrod at Wilson Central has always been masterful at this, but they run so many sets out of a Wing-T concept, that its more of a hybrid spread offense that made teams defend horizontally. And with personnel lacking in size, it makes perfect sense for him.

This is where my rub with Riverdale comes in.

The personnel Ron has had the past two years was perfectly suited to be a downhill I-formation run team. With those beasts he had up front, they could have coasted until the semifinals using that set. Iso left, Iso right, lead left, lead right, a little speed option, bootleg with a flat/go/backside drag concept, stretch......and that's all you needed. My high school coach would have been in heaven with that personnel. Instead, they decided to run trickeration with no stretch the field component and little dynamic edge speed, and it killed them in the end.

Aydelott is a very good high school coach that I respect greatly, but I think he was in error when he changed what Rankin had done with success for ages. Now, without Spurlock, Lillenthal, and those other big boys, the Wing-T may make more sense, but he needs to retool that thing and go to more of what Wilson Central has done.

Football is still about who blocks, tackles, and takes care of the football, but even down to the high school level, you are seeing that the best teams are able to run it and throw it. Like Ron Jaworski always says "Points come from the passing game". You control the game by running it, but as Sonny Gray, Rod Wilks, Brett Burnette, Zack Rogers, etc have proven.......it all goes better if you can throw it.

I'm not a huge Wing-T fan, but it can be effective. To me, though, its the ultimate "mascara" offense. It covers up for weaknesses up front or a size differential. Wes Elrod at Wilson Central has always been masterful at this, but they run so many sets out of a Wing-T concept, that its more of a hybrid spread offense that made teams defend horizontally. And with personnel lacking in size, it makes perfect sense for him.

This is where my rub with Riverdale comes in.

The personnel Ron has had the past two years was perfectly suited to be a downhill I-formation run team. With those beasts he had up front, they could have coasted until the semifinals using that set. Iso left, Iso right, lead left, lead right, a little speed option, bootleg with a flat/go/backside drag concept, stretch......and that's all you needed. My high school coach would have been in heaven with that personnel. Instead, they decided to run trickeration with no stretch the field component and little dynamic edge speed, and it killed them in the end.

Aydelott is a very good high school coach that I respect greatly, but I think he was in error when he changed what Rankin had done with success for ages. Now, without Spurlock, Lillenthal, and those other big boys, the Wing-T may make more sense, but he needs to retool that thing and go to more of what Wilson Central has done.

Football is still about who blocks, tackles, and takes care of the football, but even down to the high school level, you are seeing that the best teams are able to run it and throw it. Like Ron Jaworski always says "Points come from the passing game". You control the game by running it, but as Sonny Gray, Rod Wilks, Brett Burnette, Zack Rogers, etc have proven.......it all goes better if you can throw it.

Aydelott may not be the BEST FB coach in TN but he is certainly in the TOP 5 or TOP 10.

Solomon is a name that indicates wisdom sooooooo..................if it occurs on a regular basis in Georgia in the largest classification why is it not doable in Tennessee?

Lowndes Co. not only won it in GA in the largest classification ( I think 6A), but every game in the play-offs was a rat-killing.

So with your infinite wisdom, explain to me why Tennessee would be different and for the record ( I assume that you are a Maryville fan and they have had a great run)..............Maryville would not be very good match for either Lowndes or next door in AL with Prattville; those folks are different kind of beasts.

And as far as spreading it out.................that Wilson Central bunch runs every set known to man; they can be shoe to shoe in one set and on the next set, they are sideline to sideline. they are very tough to defend!

Riverdale was more wingish than WC, but they were primarily an option team.................the Riverdale offensive line was best in state (no contest); they just could not throw very well and I think that was due to lack of receivers. QB was great on options and had a good enough arm to throw, but he just did not have "targets".

The 4-5A league was very balanced this season...............probably the best team in the state not to make the play-offs was Lavergne ( a spread team on every snap)...............they had a couple of very tough close losses and some very untimely injuries.

Offense is kind of like "flavor of the month" and right now; the wing is not in high regard in TN, but I still have to say "balony" to the conjecture to NO in 4A or 5A...............if you will be real honest with yourself and go back and look at the Hillsboro-Maryville championship game; I really believe that if Hillsboro had not tried that silly Boot Pass...............they would have won the game. Yes, Riverdale fans----Aydellott will throw it!! (LOL).

You have your opinion and I appreciate it; I just do not agree with it.................lets agree to disagree!

ole! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Yes.... thank you jesus! Finally someone on here with a friggin clue. Ron's wing t is nothing like Wilson Centrals wing t and i dare say the last time I saw it, he was running more option than anything. Can you win running the wing t at the 5Alevel in tn? YES! If you can win with it in Georgia at even the 2A level you can win with it here at the 5A level, thats how much difference there is in athletes. Will we see a return of the wing t? YES! We are already seeing the return of the single wing before our very eyes. The next rung up the evolutionary ladder is the wing t.