How well will Independence's running game be next year?

IndyMan

With a smaller but faster back field how well will Independence do with there run game? I think with Alex Heckman at QB with his legs that will make indy's back field so much better because he can run and throw. The starting RB will probabally be upcoming senior Josh Baily who has only played football for 2 years now. He plays like a marshawn lynch that plays for the Buffalo Bills. At back up will most likely be Brett Meeker or Roland Shields. At 6'0 Ft. up coming Jr. Runningback Brett Meeker brings power and pain to the deffense. And At 5'6 upcoming Jr. Runningback Roland Shields is a small but quick and elusive back that can tire out the defense with his speed. last but not least up coming soph. Bryce Steyer at about 5'8 is a back that will run past you or run over it just depends. anyways i am a big fan of Indy football and i just want to no any other peoples oppinions about this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'll be able to do it it's just going to be a harder task.

The running game will depend on who steps up to replace losing 4 starting offensive linemen. The 4 seniors (Johnson, Bilbo, Gregerson and Stout) along with Berry turned out to be a pretty decent group. With Berry the lone returning starter it is wide open. There will be opportunities for some underclassmen to step up and contribute.

Bailey and Meeker are no Pettigrew and Consiglio so the play up front will be more important. Bailey lacks experience but does have potential to be a good running back. Meeker has the ability but it will depend how hard he works in the off season and how he recovers from his leg injury. If he can stay healthy and he busts his butt getting stronger he will be a pretty good back.

The running game will depend on who steps up to replace losing 4 starting offensive linemen. The 4 seniors (Johnson, Bilbo, Gregerson and Stout) along with Berry turned out to be a pretty decent group. With Berry the lone returning starter it is wide open. There will be opportunities for some underclassmen to step up and contribute.

Bailey and Meeker are no Pettigrew and Consiglio so the play up front will be more important. Bailey lacks experience but does have potential to be a good running back. Meeker has the ability but it will depend how hard he works in the off season and how he recovers from his leg injury. If he can stay healthy and he busts his butt getting stronger he will be a pretty good back.

That's the back I was forgetting, Consiglio, replacing him and Pettigrew as well as 4 offensive linemen would be hard for any team. Good luck though.

Some of us are forgetting that many of the people on the o-line this past season were first year starters. The graduation bug hit them hard there the season before and again this year. I don't think that there will be much of a drop off. The line this past season lacked a lot of size but played well anyway. Scott Pettigrew will not be replaced, but someone will step up (possibly Heckman at running back).

Some of us are forgetting that many of the people on the o-line this past season were first year starters. The graduation bug hit them hard there the season before and again this year. I don't think that there will be much of a drop off. The line this past season lacked a lot of size but played well anyway. Scott Pettigrew will not be replaced, but someone will step up (possibly Heckman at running back).

Some of us are not forgetting. Berry and Stout played OL quite a lot the previous 2 years. The OL that finished the season did play well together for sure. Besides Berry, only Burge saw any OL time last year. They have a couple SO. coming up that may help, but there is a huge difference between SO and Sr. If the OL can come together like last year, they should do well.

Heckman at RB? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

He is talented enough to play there, but what a "waste" that would be to not use his arm as well as his legs.

I was impressed with the line play this past season. Many of the guys on that line over-achieved in my opinion, which is always better than under-achieved, which happens way too often at times with high school athletes. If Eubanks and staff can continue to see that they over-achieve, the line play will be fine.

Heckman at RB? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

He is talented enough to play there, but what a "waste" that would be to not use his arm as well as his legs.

I was impressed with the line play this past season. Many of the guys on that line over-achieved in my opinion, which is always better than under-achieved, which happens way too often at times with high school athletes. If Eubanks and staff can continue to see that they over-achieve, the line play will be fine.

I wouldn't really call it a waste. Anyone can throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage. I hope the coaching staff over there at Indy gives him a few reps at running back this spring, they might be surprised by a few things that unravel by doing that.

I wouldn't really call it a waste. Anyone can throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage. I hope the coaching staff over there at Indy gives him a few reps at running back this spring, they might be surprised by a few things that unravel by doing that.

He gets lots of reps at running back from the QB position. If you run the spread offense like Indy does it makes it much more effective to have a running threat at QB. And to your other point, not just anyone can throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage. But, some throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage for a pick 6.

He gets lots of reps at running back from the QB position. If you run the spread offense like Indy does it makes it much more effective to have a running threat at QB. And to your other point, not just anyone can throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage. But, some throw a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage for a pick 6.

The pick 6's I've seen occured when the receiver either was not looking to get the ball, or turned in the wrong direction in anticipation and telegraphed the play. Again, the QB does not call the play, nor does he catch the ball. He runs what is called and hopes it's the right call and all involved execute correctly.