Fields

MustangMid

football coaches hate the fact that soccer is on "their fields"

You really can't say that about ALL football coaches. I could not ask for a better working relationship than the one I have with our football coach. Our field is in great shape right now, all because of the work he puts into it. We do pay a "MAINTAINCE" fee but it doesn't cover the cost of all he does.

I too wish our field could be bigger. But am very grateful that we have access to our high school stadium.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't say that about ALL football coaches. I could not ask for a better working relationship than the one I have with our football coach. Our field is in great shape right now, all because of the work he puts into it. We do pay a "MAINTAINCE" fee but it doesn't cover the cost of all he does.

I too wish our field could be bigger. But am very grateful that we have access to our high school stadium.

Well said my friend!

I've said it before and I will say it again, if given the choice, which team WOULDN'T take their own regulation size soccer field that they didn't have to "share" with any other athletic team? But you forget that most of these schools are lucky to have their administration throw a working budget to pay for just the essentials, let alone a 120X80 field. Even some private schools have to play on smaller "football" fields.

It is very frustrating to play on a small field, but what would you do? Refuse to play on them? You could do that for non district games (although you might find yourself with some scheduling problems after a while), but you couldn't for district.

We do have a team in our district that enjoys playing on our big field, and they volunteer to come to us each year. But that is THEIR choice, not one that you would make them make.

In a dream world, we would all have perfect bermuda fields, a 3 REF SYSTEM for each game /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , bathrooms on site (those green little things don't count!) and NO INJURIES! (aaggghhh) But, it isn't that way. We have been very blessed to have a great field maintenance team, a lot of acreage to work with, and some very gracious donors. Just 6 years ago we were playing on a football field that if you laid down on one sideline and had someone else stand on the other, you couldn't see each other because of the crown!

Anyway... enough of my old man memories. GChunn, stop by and see me sometime. I am still mad that Akula didn't stop by after our West game.

Well said my friend!

I've said it before and I will say it again, if given the choice, which team WOULDN'T take their own regulation size soccer field that they didn't have to "share" with any other athletic team? But you forget that most of these schools are lucky to have their administration throw a working budget to pay for just the essentials, let alone a 120X80 field. Even some private schools have to play on smaller "football" fields.

It is very frustrating to play on a small field, but what would you do? Refuse to play on them? You could do that for non district games (although you might find yourself with some scheduling problems after a while), but you couldn't for district.

We do have a team in our district that enjoys playing on our big field, and they volunteer to come to us each year. But that is THEIR choice, not one that you would make them make.

In a dream world, we would all have perfect bermuda fields, a 3 REF SYSTEM for each game /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , bathrooms on site (those green little things don't count!) and NO INJURIES! (aaggghhh) But, it isn't that way. We have been very blessed to have a great field maintenance team, a lot of acreage to work with, and some very gracious donors. Just 6 years ago we were playing on a football field that if you laid down on one sideline and had someone else stand on the other, you couldn't see each other because of the crown!

Anyway... enough of my old man memories. GChunn, stop by and see me sometime. I am still mad that Akula didn't stop by after our West game.

I remember several years ago watching my daughter play on "that" field with the crown. You could not tell what was happening on the other side. An AR's dream.

We must remember that soccer is still in it's infancy in east Tennessee...though we have come a long way, there is still much education that must take place. That education includes fans, administrations, county officials, school officials....OFFIACIALS, and coachs (yes I said coaches). We must be patient with all, focusing on education rather than division.

Just YESTERDAY, no one knew anything about this great game!

I will stop by!

This whole field size has been something that I have complained for a long time. A lot of the comments have been right on track. Especially about football ruling the high-school's in Tennessee. The sad thing is that football in our state is Extremely weak!! Soccer is far better, compared to the other states, than football is. The answer is not simple, but the logical thing to do is like all of the other states have done. Build complexes, 6 fields or so, and only allow GAMES to be played on them. It is far easier to maintain 6 fields in one spot- the equipement involved and the requirements of the grass- water, fertilizer, etc. , than to keep 6 seperate fields up. In other states, they play 3 or 4 games at one time. It invites many more people and raises more money. It would surely be cheaper for the school systems and money raised should be kept for soccer....not every other sport! Also these complexes earn money when local clubs rent them for a tournament- it's good for youth soccer and it helps earn more money to keep up the fields.

Something to consider- the problem is getting all schools involved to agree on a course of action! It has to start somewhere!!

By the way why concerning field sizes why were there two sets of lines on teh Independence field on Tues day when brentwood played there? one was about 5-7 yds wider than the other and we used the lines that made the field narrower. Just wondering.

-GO REBELS-

tcamom great point about parents helping out maintaining the field, The more parents step up, the better things would be.

I'm curious to know what part of the state your in? Maybe those were Highland Rim Refs? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Jackson, TN and our soccer is improving. This year, most high school teams have coaches who either have played soccer or are students of the game. Not so just 2-3 years ago.