Question about Dekalb County Baseball

secretagentman

I have been a major supporter of Tiger baseball over the years, but I was told something the other day that really suprised me and made me question the guidance of our baseball program. The other night our Tigers payed Middle Tennessee Christian and lost 10-0 to a team that just outplayed us with our Number 2 pitcher taking the mound. After the game I was in town and saw some players and ask them how they did I was told we lost but we were counting it as a JV game, and it would not count as a loss. After discussing this with a few people in town I was told over the last couple of years that this has happened before, and most of the players are aware of this.

With this being said I have been a supporter of Tiger Baseball for years now my son played for the Tigers and I was a proud supporter of the team and trhe accomplishments that they gined and earned. The coaching staff workes very hard and the boys work very hard, but if this is true and has happened and Coach Odom has not counted losses over his 11 year tenure, then everything that I thought about this coach was not true. It is not fair to not count losses on your teams record and should be dealt with by the adminstration at DCHS.

If anyone has any other information on this please enlighten us or tell us that this is hearsay and not true.

Thanks and keep up the good work Tiger Baseball and Lady Tiger Softball

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a major supporter of Tiger baseball over the years, but I was told something the other day that really suprised me and made me question the guidance of our baseball program. The other night our Tigers payed Middle Tennessee Christian and lost 10-0 to a team that just outplayed us with our Number 2 pitcher taking the mound. After the game I was in town and saw some players and ask them how they did I was told we lost but we were counting it as a JV game, and it would not count as a loss. After discussing this with a few people in town I was told over the last couple of years that this has happened before, and most of the players are aware of this.

With this being said I have been a supporter of Tiger Baseball for years now my son played for the Tigers and I was a proud supporter of the team and trhe accomplishments that they gined and earned. The coaching staff workes very hard and the boys work very hard, but if this is true and has happened and Coach Odom has not counted losses over his 11 year tenure, then everything that I thought about this coach was not true. It is not fair to not count losses on your teams record and should be dealt with by the adminstration at DCHS.

If anyone has any other information on this please enlighten us or tell us that this is hearsay and not true.

if it was a JV game it doesnt count on an oveall record only varsity games count

Well this topic did not get alot of reaction. But I found this article on WJLE in Smithville very interesting, considering that Middle Tennessee Christian counted the game as a varsity win for there program. Like I said I hope the Tiger coaches are not doing this but something does not jive here.

According to WJLE radio Station:

Tiger baseball game rained out Monday

March 31, 2008

The DeKalb County High School Tiger baseball game at York Institute, scheduled for Monday evening, has been postponed due to rainy weather and wet field conditions. The game will be made up on a date yet to be announced. The Tigers, meanwhile, are scheduled to host the Dragons, Tuesday afternoon at 5:00 p.m.

The Tigers' game with Grundy County, scheduled for last Friday, was canceled when Grundy County did not show up. The game will either be made up at a later date, or Grundy County will be forced to forfeit. The Tigers lost to Middle Tennessee Christian in a junior varsity contest, last Thursday.

The DCHS baseball team is 6-2 overall on the season and 2-2 in district play.

Then According to The Daily News Journal:

MTCS 10, DEKALB COUNTY 0

Andrew Kuhn struck out six batters to earn the shutout and helped his own cause with two hits at the plate as MTCS whitewashed DeKalb County.

Taylor Beckham and Kyle Pitts had two hits each for the Cougars

It is okay to lose games coach, just don't cheat the system

This is very interesting because I remember something similar to this occuring several years ago when a J.V. game was scheduled between DeKalb and Friendship. The game was played at Friendship and it was obvious that DeKalb was not playing their J.V. team. Coach McNeal was not in attendance as I recall, but the assistant told me that he asked one of DeKalb's players during the game if they were in fact their varsity, which he replyed by saying yes. DeKalb brought a great crowd as well, which was another indicator that these squads were not the same. The next day in the Tennessean it was revealed that DeKalb's coach called the game into the box score as a varsity game. I know for a fact that Coach McNeal called their coach several times to discuss this situation, but couldn't reached him and never received a returned call. Honestly, the coach was given the benefit of the doubt by Coach McNeal and the subject was dropped because it really didn't matter. I don't even know who the coach was then or now at DeKalb, but it might be the same man. I hope that this is not common practice by their coach.

Supposedly, the official schedules are suppose to be sent to the TSSAA before the season. If a game is not denoted as a JV game there, then technically, it should be an official game. However, many schools don't always denote the JV vs. Varsity on this schedule like they are suppose to, so it may have been meant to be a JV game the whole time. Sometimes, with the other coach's permission, a certain number of starters do play in JV, often at 2nd positions, to get newer starters more game time experience, or to allow pitchers more work after injury or when they are struggling. This normally happens though by mutual agreement.

If you truly believe that there is some dishonestly going on and integrity issues, then you should contact the coach directly, Coach Lay (if he is still at MTC) and ask him about it, or call the TSSAA.

DeKalb has been doing this for at least the last 5 years. They will throw a freshman pitcher in one inning and count it as jv if they are to lose badly. So is tonight game against Macon going to be counted as a jv since they got beat like a drum 11-2.

Are you kidding me Macon beat Dekalb 12-2?

Whoever is putting out some of this information is not telling the truth.

The game with Grundy was called off by DeKalb. Grundy did not pull a no show. DeKalb's coach faxed an apology to Grundy's Coach Ladd. I saw this yesterday morning.

Seems like some radio folks need to get their facts straight.

DL (David Lowrie, Grundy's newspaper guy)

Whoever is putting out some of this information is not telling the truth.

The game with Grundy was called off by DeKalb. Grundy did not pull a no show. DeKalb's coach faxed an apology to Grundy's Coach Ladd. I saw this yesterday morning.

Seems like some radio folks need to get their facts straight.

DL (David Lowrie, Grundy's newspaper guy)

Not just the Grundy game, years past i have looked at schedules. They should have 5-8 more loses per season. I heard DeKalb counted the Grundy game as a forfeit for grundy