CONFIDENCE

ERA

The softball forum is loaded with "confidence". Well, maybe in ways not conducive to self worth. Looking back through the threads, particularly, one or two of them, the word "confidence" is used close to thirty times while mostly in a negative way. Negative way pertains to "an excuse" rather than complimentary. The word is as powerful and dangerous as a two edge sword. Just bringing the word to attention can cause an immediate negative effect. A player may not even realize they have a lack of it until someone tells them. At that point, they can teeter either way. It should be used behind the scenes when talking about a player or players unless there is a positive point to make about it. Hearing about it from your coach, reading about it in the paper or website and hearing it on the radio can create a long spiral into oblivion. You either have control of the players or you don't. Slinging it around about a problem in front of them can create a quicksand that no player can recover from.

In my many years coaching batting and pitching, I have never once used that word in front of a player. Using it in the form "All you need is confidence" brings attention to the negative. Typically, it's a word meant for the parents or coach. These are young kids. Their experiences are few and their emotions are many. Don't give them a reason to fail. It is better to have them focus on their successes and to believe that there is a little tweak here, or a little tweak there that will lift them up over the top. Confidence, is in the mind of the beholder. It can't be preached, it has to be instilled. Give your players confidence by your actions and leadership, not by reminding them daily that they have none. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I don't know if your post is due to the fact that maybe you never had confidence or don't know how to teach it, but confidence is at the front of any good ballplayer in any sport. If a player has no confidence they cannot play at a level that is perceived as acceptable anymore. No offense, but a tweak here or there is bunch of nonsense. The tweak can be with there confidence. Which is easier to fix? Hey you're dropping your back elbow or hey you just need a little confidence and belief in yourself and everything else will work out. You will be amazed by how much kids succeed when they have confidence, elbow dropped or not. Now maybe from your experience no one is able to carry that concept to a successfuly manner but attacking the word itself obviously shows a lack of coaching ability or a lack of knowledge of the word. When a child is confident all things are possible. Would rather have a kid saying at the plate " I'm fixing to crush this ball" confidently then " I think I can hit this if don't step out or if I keep my shoulder up or if I keep my weight back.

Confidence can and should be preached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The softball forum is loaded with "confidence". Well, maybe in ways not conducive to self worth. Looking back through the threads, particularly, one or two of them, the word "confidence" is used close to thirty times while mostly in a negative way. Negative way pertains to "an excuse" rather than complimentary. The word is as powerful and dangerous as a two edge sword. Just bringing the word to attention can cause an immediate negative effect. A player may not even realize they have a lack of it until someone tells them. At that point, they can teeter either way. It should be used behind the scenes when talking about a player or players unless there is a positive point to make about it. Hearing about it from your coach, reading about it in the paper or website and hearing it on the radio can create a long spiral into oblivion. You either have control of the players or you don't. Slinging it around about a problem in front of them can create a quicksand that no player can recover from.

In my many years coaching batting and pitching, I have never once used that word in front of a player. Using it in the form "All you need is confidence" brings attention to the negative. Typically, it's a word meant for the parents or coach. These are young kids. Their experiences are few and their emotions are many. Don't give them a reason to fail. It is better to have them focus on their successes and to believe that there is a little tweak here, or a little tweak there that will lift them up over the top. Confidence, is in the mind of the beholder. It can't be preached, it has to be instilled. Give your players confidence by your actions and leadership, not by reminding them daily that they have none. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I don't know if your post is due to the fact that maybe you never had confidence or don't know how to teach it, but confidence is at the front of any good ballplayer in any sport. If a player has no confidence they cannot play at a level that is perceived as acceptable anymore. No offense, but a tweak here or there is bunch of nonsense. The tweak can be with there confidence. Which is easier to fix? Hey you're dropping your back elbow or hey you just need a little confidence and belief in yourself and everything else will work out. You will be amazed by how much kids succeed when they have confidence, elbow dropped or not. Now maybe from your experience no one is able to carry that concept to a successfuly manner but attacking the word itself obviously shows a lack of coaching ability or a lack of knowledge of the word. When a child is confident all things are possible. Would rather have a kid saying at the plate " I'm fixing to crush this ball" confidently then " I think I can hit this if don't step out or if I keep my shoulder up or if I keep my weight back.

Confidence can and should be preached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You no doubt did not read my post at all. Your lambasting rant is senseless. All kids need confidence. You can't preach to them that they have to have it all the time, you have to show them how to get it. You are agreeing with me but instead read something that is not there. Kids need to be shown their successes. The CONFIDENCE is learned through actions. It can be mentioned as long as it is positive. But if you have a team spiraling and you continually say that they lack it, or need it, your not helping the situation other than digging the hole deeper. Good grief! Get a grip.

You no doubt did not read my post at all. Your lambasting rant is senseless. All kids need confidence. You can't preach to them that they have to have it all the time, you have to show them how to get it. You are agreeing with me but instead read something that is not there. Kids need to be shown their successes. The CONFIDENCE is learned through actions. It can be mentioned as long as it is positive. But if you have a team spiraling and you continually say that they lack it, or need it, your not helping the situation other than digging the hole deeper. Good grief! Get a grip.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good points ERA,

I believe that the key is to get the player to think of the positives, picture that perfect hit or great defensive play. It is not hard to avoid negatives when teaching. As you posted, concentrate on the successes and your players will be sucessful.