pitchers crow hop/replanting

hits123

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the umpires want the girls to do is play by the rules.

Maybe the coaches should teach their kids to pitch by the rules.

I agree catsbacker, but one of the problems is that this is not a habit that can be fixed overnight. Competitve pitchers at the high school level have been throwing since they were probably 8 or 9 years old and this is a serious habit that they have been allowed to learn. I would say that 90% of pitchers do not do this intentually. This is the reason as stated earlier that it affects them when it finally gets called in high school or college. The worse case senerio that I have seen in the past few years, and I have seen it in more than one game, is allowing the pitcher to throw like this all game until a runner is on third then call the illegal pitch with no warning and send the runner at third home scoring the potential winning run. I have seen this happen several times over the past few years, you talk about devistating a young pitcher. TSSAA needs to get a handle on this and make umpires call this consistantly one way or the other.

I agree catsbacker, but one of the problems is that this is not a habit that can be fixed overnight. Competitve pitchers at the high school level have been throwing since they were probably 8 or 9 years old and this is a serious habit that they have been allowed to learn. I would say that 90% of pitchers do not do this intentually. This is the reason as stated earlier that it affects them when it finally gets called in high school or college. The worse case senerio that I have seen in the past few years, and I have seen it in more than one game, is allowing the pitcher to throw like this all game until a runner is on third then call the illegal pitch with no warning and send the runner at third home scoring the potential winning run. I have seen this happen several times over the past few years, you talk about devistating a young pitcher. TSSAA needs to get a handle on this and make umpires call this consistantly one way or the other.

Agreed.

the worst rule high school has is where you can step back first then pitch the ball. it is a clear advantage to the pitcher. it is also the hardest to break when travelball starts. wish high school would just adopt ASA and be done with it.

You hit the nail on the head. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Rocking also causes most pitchers to crow hop, but neither is ever called.

You hit the nail on the head. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Rocking also causes most pitchers to crow hop, but neither is ever called.

Well, if the coaches pool together and demand that these infractions be called they will be. My guess is that the coaches dont really want it called. Just a guess.

It is really bad when the umpire waits til the fifth or sixth inning to start calling it. Most pitchers can

brush it off but some will let it get in their head. All we as coaches want is consistency.

FIRST, I beleive if the umpire starts the game by calling pitches illegal, it gives the pitcher an

opportunity to adjust for the rest of the game, and it could/should become a non issue.

But most do not.

SECOND, depending on the game time limits in place for the particular tournament, AND if a

opposing pitcher was pitching illegal in some manner, AND my team was not hitting well against her,

sometimes I would wait until the 3rd or 4th inning, or with runners in scoring position, to complain.

To hopefully disrupt the pitcher in some way.

Maybe someone would think this is wrong for a coach to do, but I beleive it is my responsibility as

the coach, to know the rules, and insure they are applied, so my team is NOT at a competitive

dis-advantage, due to the umpire not applying the rules correctly.

FIRST, I beleive if the umpire starts the game by calling pitches illegal, it gives the pitcher an

opportunity to adjust for the rest of the game, and it could/should become a non issue.

But most do not.

SECOND, depending on the game time limits in place for the particular tournament, AND if a

opposing pitcher was pitching illegal in some manner, AND my team was not hitting well against her,

sometimes I would wait until the 3rd or 4th inning, or with runners in scoring position, to complain.

Maybe someone would think this is wrong for a coach to do, but I beleive it is my responsibility as

the coach, to know the rules, and insure they are applied, so my team is NOT at a competitive

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Thats right let the umps win it for you!

But most do not.

As a coach what you are saying is a strategy to win a ball game and all good coaches are there to win, but this is not like asking if a batter broke their wrist in a swing or if a player had control of a ball on a tag or if a runner missed a bag while going around the bases, these are appealable calls and have to be asked before ruled on. In other words its not something that has to complained about before it is called, it is a rule that is supposed to monitored by the umpires. An illegal pitch is supposed to be called every time it is thrown. I see an umpire giving a warning and calling the coach over to discuss it, but after that it is supposed to be an illegal pitch and any runner on base given an extra base. PERIOD.

Its not fair to the girls who pitch legally that other girls get away with illegal pitching. Crow hopping adds quite a bit of speed to your pitch giving them an advantage over most girls who pitch legally. This is not fair at all and as stated before only hurts the girls in the long run. Girls should be taught from an early age how to pitch legally. This is just as much the parents and pitching coaches fault as it is the umpires.