Ridiculous Parents and Coaches Policy on them

Baseball.4.real

Perhaps some kids and their parents need to know what real teamwork is:

Memorable minute not the whole story for NC State's Myers

As a true freshman in the ACC, Myers was called upon by late coach Jim Valvano to fill in for Whittenburg, a senior captain and outstanding perimeter shooter who missed 14 games because of a small fracture in his foot. During that span, Myers averaged 17.9 points, even leading the team in scoring.

When Whittenburg returned with three regular-season games remaining, Myers was relegated back to the bench, a role he never challenged. Instead, Myers graciously stepped back at a time when most players -- especially now, 25 years later -- would have wanted to burst forward into March Madness. It was an unselfish characteristic the former players say defined that team.

"The difference in guys now versus then, it's like night and day," McQueen said. "Guys now are either -- for lack of a better word -- greedy or selfish, or it's about them. Whereas back then, in my mind we had more respect for each other and more respect for the game itself. We always had an attitude where 'OK, there are seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Everybody will have their turn sooner or later.' Nowadays, guys don't care. ??¦ No respect for the upperclassmen

That was then..... Notice who is perched on top of the backboard celebrating!

Now....

One of the problems in high schools sports is the need for booster clubs. The 'if Jimmy isn't playing, why should I have to work the concession stand?' mentality.

Another problem is a parent sees their son or daughter through a different prism than others do. And because Johnny was great in little league, he should still be great. Well, there a lot of kids that can hit the #5, non-district pitcher with a 75 mph fastball and no control on the breaking stuff. So he will have a great day every now and then, maybe go 2 for 3 with a double off the wall. But he will be overmatched by a #1 in a district game and the coach knows it. But his parents won't.

A lot of parents think their son will get a scholarship and play college ball and pro ball. And until those parents are exposed to real baseball talent, they don't have a true gauge of the talent needed to accomplish that. The Limbaugh family has had that exposure. My dad grew up and played ball with and against Don Mincher. I played with Jimmy Key in Little League (his father was our coach) and my son played against David Price and gave up two bombs to Mike Felix in a summer ball game in Florida. My son was on a pitching staff with a MLB draftee and a D-1 scholarship signee and another pitcher who set the school career wins record. A couple of younger pitchers on that team went on to have great varsity careers so we both knew why he was the 6th man in a 3 man rotation. But he was there just in case 4 of them got hit with comebackers the same day and tied a record as best courtesy runner in school history. never being picked off or caught stealing. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I go to a lot of games, spring, summer and fall. And I hear things sometimes that just make me shake my head. Last summer, at a tournament, I heard a mom tell another mom how her son should be the starting 3rd baseman but politics kept the other player playing. I had just seen the starting 3rd baseman, a D-1 signee and one of the top 40 prospects in the state, the week before at a showcase. The difference between the two players couldn't be more night and day. But that mom was convinced her son was better.

Awesome David!

Coaches anymore are stepping right into a trap most of the time. When a parent complains to the coach about playing time. It is a no win situation for both the player and the coach. If the kid gets to play, it looks like he is playing because his parent complained and if the kid doesn't play, it looks like the kid is being punished because his parent complained!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best 9 baseball players will play that day. tomorrow is a new day. the best 9 will play tomorrow. the best 9 will not always be the same. it doesnt matter if you are a freshman or a senior. there should be no garantees. if you give a kid the garantee that "yes you will play everyday next year" do you know what that does??? that tells him "im better than everybody else and i have no reason to work hard or get better."

a good example: in the Good Day to Play Invitational last weekend. in the championship game at Creek Wood, it was Goodpasture vs. Station Camp. 4 to 2 ball game with goodpasture in the lead. runner on first and in steps the catcher for goodpasture hitting in the 9 hole. he steps up and hits a jack for his team. and for those who havent seen creek wood's field its one of the biggest you will see in high school baseball.i see this and this ball was crushed. my coach tells me later about that kid. he was a sophmore back up catcher and that was his 5th bomb of the year. a back up!!! a prime example that sometimes you just have to wait your turn. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We all know and realize that parents can cause problems. Many are way out of line. Some are not in their concerns or requests or solutions to the problem. Lets not forget them as well.

Let us also not forget that for all the good coaches out there that have the kids best interest at heart, there are also some who don't. It is not a one-sided coin that has to be dealt with.

There is no hard and fast rule in how to deal with these situations but we can all agree that typically cooler heads will always be the best option.

I have been a youth league coach for several years before and a parent of 3 and neither one is an easy job.

We all know and realize that parents can cause problems. Many are way out of line. Some are not in their concerns or requests or solutions to the problem. Lets not forget them as well.

Let us also not forget that for all the good coaches out there that have the kids best interest at heart, there are also some who don't. It is not a one-sided coin that has to be dealt with.

There is no hard and fast rule in how to deal with these situations but we can all agree that typically cooler heads will always be the best option.

I have been a youth league coach for several years before and a parent of 3 and neither one is an easy job.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

What is so funny?

[/quot

I have a novel idea. If your kid has a problem with the coach, why not have the kid deal with it? We are raising a generation of male boys that will never know how to deal with adversity because mommas and daddys want to coddle little junior. I see nothing wrong with approaching the coach at year end and asking for a status of where junior stands in the program because decisions hace to be made about transfers and such. But asking the coach about playing time during the season? Get a life......and have junior take care of it.

When did I say anything about my kid? My child is just fine thanks.

I have an even more novel idea. Know what you are talking about before shooting off at the mouth. I know it's a radical concept but it works.

Well, tell us about the one sided coin that has to be "dealt with"? I stopped coaching my kid when he was was 9 because I wanted him to learn to play and earn his stripes. I also wanted to start learning as a parent how to deal with situations that don't go our way. My son prefers to handle situations himself and wants me to stay out of it. I think our plan worked.....

The one sided coin is how the thread was going. Mostly everyone cracking on the parents with no mention or hardly any mention of parents who do well.

I am glad you and yours worked things out to suit y'all. I am sure he is a fine young man and you are a fine parent. I have no beef with you until you put words in my mouth.

I will say if you have never seen a coach not treat a kid fairly then you are indeed fortunate and lucky. I have seen both coaches and parents do very well and not so well. That is all I am saying.

Well, tell us about the one sided coin that has to be "dealt with"? I stopped coaching my kid when he was was 9 because I wanted him to learn to play and earn his stripes. I also wanted to start learning as a parent how to deal with situations that don't go our way. My son prefers to handle situations himself and wants me to stay out of it. I think our plan worked.....