West @ Catholic Thursday

knoxvegas19

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who were spectators, players or coaches in this game:

I was supposed to cover the game tonight, but I had a miscommunication with my editor and thought the game was at West. When I got to West and no one was there I headed home. If anyone can post player names on goals, assists and saves as well as save numbers for keepers that would be outstanding. Any help anyone can provide for any of those would be greatly appreciated.

Somewhat disappointing to hear that the only writer for HS soccer in Knox area didn't think it worth the effort to drive to Catholic after seeing the game wasn't at west. 15-20 min drive, and could still see some of the first half. Given that nearly everyone in the area knew this could be a really good match I am stunned that more effort wasn't made. I admire you owning up to not going but grabbing a few notes secondhand to write a quick wrap up doesn't really "cover" the game.

HS soccer in this community really deserves coverage. I think it is sad that the only reporter who is covering HS soccer in this community was a no show to a very sweet game. We should ask better from all media. Soccer is important in this community.

yes, there *should* be other media covering the games too IMHO-- and anyone assigned to cover soccer should love the game and be committed to actually covering it. IMHO. Very disappointing to hear that this wasn't the case.

Somewhat disappointing to hear that the only writer for HS soccer in Knox area didn't think it worth the effort to drive to Catholic after seeing the game wasn't at west. 15-20 min drive, and could still see some of the first half. Given that nearly everyone in the area knew this could be a really good match I am stunned that more effort wasn't made. I admire you owning up to not going but grabbing a few notes secondhand to write a quick wrap up doesn't really "cover" the game.

HS soccer in this community really deserves coverage. I think it is sad that the only reporter who is covering HS soccer in this community was a no show to a very sweet game. We should ask better from all media. Soccer is important in this community.

yes, there *should* be other media covering the games too IMHO-- and anyone assigned to cover soccer should love the game and be committed to actually covering it. IMHO. Very disappointing to hear that this wasn't the case.

i agree that soccer in knoxville is growing and that it deserves more recognition than it gets, but it was an honest mistake and is not that big of a deal.

I have only been in Knoxville for a few years and have never been to Catholic. I did not know how to get to the other school and there wasn't a way for me to find the game at that point. It had nothing to do with effort, whether that's what you would like to believe or not.

I have had no problems with an incorrect location of a game this season so when I got to West and no one was there I assumed one of the teams was being forced to make up a rescheduled district game with it being the final week of the season. I had a situation with another game earlier in the week where that was the case.

Don't question my love of the game or my commitment to my job. I'm well aware of the quality of play that was on the field in that game and I've been to plenty of games this year that were nowhere close to as entertaining as that game would have been. I was looking forward to getting to see it.

At least he wrote an article. That's a lot more commitment than the worthless News-Sentinel has ever had.

This to me brings up a bigger issue about local papers in general.

I will now climb on my soapbox...

In a world of instant news found on TV, the internet, CoachT...and with declining sales for newspapers. It has always made me wonder why local papers do not do more local sports coverage in their papers. If I want to find a pro sports score with details, I use the internet. If I want to see how my local HS is doing I BUY the local paper ( If they cover it).

Moral to the story.....Please do more local sports (news) in your papers. You'll sell more. When little Suzy/Jr in the paper the whole family buys a paper, otherwise its CoachT for scores.

I guess this should be another topic but I agree with you about especially tv stations. In Chattanooga the coverage is just spectacular for football of course. But when it comes to soccer....only mentioned if you go to spring fling. The Chattanooga Times News Free Press does a pretty good job...feature usually one game a night. But at least box scores are there. But the Chattanoogan.com does a tremendous job of covering high school sports. If the team gets in the information....the article will be there. They are the best that I have seen. I do from time to time look at the Knox Sentinel and I see what their teams are saying....very little coverage it seems.

This to me brings up a bigger issue about local papers in general.

I will now climb on my soapbox...

In a world of instant news found on TV, the internet, CoachT...and with declining sales for newspapers. It has always made me wonder why local papers do not do more local sports coverage in their papers. If I want to find a pro sports score with details, I use the internet. If I want to see how my local HS is doing I BUY the local paper ( If they cover it).

Moral to the story.....Please do more local sports (news) in your papers. You'll sell more. When little Suzy/Jr in the paper the whole family buys a paper, otherwise its CoachT for scores.

The fact that the reporter made the effort to cover the game should be commended, yet he was blasted. Do you think that encourages him to cover more stories, or just throw in the towel?

I am with MVM... I personally get a little tired of reading about the latest Vol to get arrested, or what Fulmer has to predict about his offense for the fall.

We (CAK) have been very fortunate with coverage this season, but I would love to see even more games get some recognition. I was surprised that the Carter Seymour or Alcoa game didn't get an article.