Soccer Coverage

OnThePitch

I hear lots of people talk about how Pro Basketball and other pro sports dominate the Knox News, or how the Vols will be wearing new spandex Jockstraps in the fall or even another College player from any college got caught Drunk or raping someone, or arrested for disorderly conduct and it gets more press than local Soccer. [

u]Soccer has now over taken Basketball as the number 1 Participant Sport in the United States[/u], yet let our national Team play and you will see a one line sentence saying the score down by the same section that says some player nobody ever heard of from the 1987 Arizona State Football team was arrested for gun possesion. I can find all that on the internet if I want, I buy papers to look at local games and pictures!!!! The editors are missing the boat thinking you care more about the 3 stitches some pro player got than coverage of the players in their local area.

Ok, Solution everyone write sports@knoxnews.comand tell them how you feel. Enough letters and they may respond and don't expect someone else to do it, we all need to!!!!

So Knox County Soccer do you care???????????????

I guess atleast they have boxscores? I mean they could just do absolutely nothing. I think part of their problem is they don't have enough people to cover the stuff. I mean 1 or 2 people can't cover the 20 something or more games going on every other day of the week. The other sports hardly get love either. Soccer is not alone, but they are towards the back of the love chart. They do maybe 1 or 2 articles about soccer a week. Thats even when on Fridays they have a whole section "dedicated" to high school sports. They spend more time on stats where half the teams don't send info in, and some of the info is probably wrong anyways. From what I have heard though, Knoxville has one of the best coverages of HS sports in the state. So it can always get worse.

Local news coverage certainly could be better, but at least we get box scores regularly-- it could be a lot worse.

I wonder if there is an agreement on coverage between the West Shopper News and Knox News? Don't they have some sort of arrangement with printing and delivery? I know the editor of the News-Sentinel wrote a column several months ago, calling for UT-Knox to add Men's soccer to their college programs, aruguing that with soccer's local, national and international popularity it is odd that UT doesn't have men's soccer. He is a fan of the game. Certainly worth a try to write the media and ask them to cover more. I think you can write him at editor@knoxnews.com.