How Coaches Pick All District Players by MrNoitALL

MrNoitAll

Oh yeah I know all about this situation.I have heard several compliants from players off the softball team about how they do the voting. The voting does allow all the teams to put players on the all district team but the way they determine which players gets put on the ballot sometimes is bias in the coaches part. For example I not going to use names but, there was this one girl who made all district all region and all state as a freshman and then made all district as a sophomore too. However in her junior snd senior years (especially junior year) she got hurt missed a few games came back and lead the team in a lot of stats (Batting, RBI's, OBP, Slugging, PO and so on) from that point on and was not even considered on ballot and I know for a fact a few of the coaches asked why she wasn't on the ballot. Grant there is some really good players on the last few softball teams at Rhea and not everyone can be on the all district team but all district is for the best players.

Rhea County place first this year and got 3 players on the All District team, Walker Valley placed second and put on 4. Same thing happened last year. Rhea got 2 for second place and Walker Valley got 4 for first. I do not know how they decide, vote, etc. But it looks pretty stupid when a team goes 9-1 in ditrict games and only gets 3 players. If I am not mistaken, it takes more than 3 to get that far in that district. Rhea County should have had 5 players make the team. As far as that "Super Star" from Rhea County. Her Freshman year, there were no "REAL" stats taken. And her Daddy was in the coaches back pocket the whole season. Guess that is how she made All State and did not even get out of district tournament play to be seen by anyone who would know she was an "ALL STATE" player. When Rhea finally go a real coach her true colors showed. She was not one of the best players her JR and SR years. Funny how a player can make all district, all region and all state her freshman year under one coach and then nothing after that when she gets a coach that looks at the whole team and not just one player. Rhea County is loaded with talent this year. It will be interesting to see just how far they go. As far as All District players go, they need to change something. The first place team should get more players than second place, and so forth.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhea County place first this year and got 3 players on the All District team, Walker Valley placed second and put on 4. Same thing happened last year. Rhea got 2 for second place and Walker Valley got 4 for first. I do not know how they decide, vote, etc. But it looks pretty stupid when a team goes 9-1 in ditrict games and only gets 3 players. If I am not mistaken, it takes more than 3 to get that far in that district. Rhea County should have had 5 players make the team. As far as that "Super Star" from Rhea County. Her Freshman year, there were no "REAL" stats taken. And her Daddy was in the coaches back pocket the whole season. Guess that is how she made All State and did not even get out of district tournament play to be seen by anyone who would know she was an "ALL STATE" player. When Rhea finally go a real coach her true colors showed. She was not one of the best players her JR and SR years. Funny how a player can make all district, all region and all state her freshman year under one coach and then nothing after that when she gets a coach that looks at the whole team and not just one player. Rhea County is loaded with talent this year. It will be interesting to see just how far they go. As far as All District players go, they need to change something. The first place team should get more players than second place, and so forth.

I have been coaching for a long time and I have NEVER heard of a team that did not win district get less players than a team that finished below them. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Sounds like they have coaching problems over in Walker Valley if they have better players and can't win the district.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Sounds like they have coaching problems over in Walker Valley if they have better players and can't win the district.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

There you go again Cascade11 it must be the coaching! NOW it could be the genes from the parents you think? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

There you go again Cascade11 it must be the coaching! NOW it could be the genes from the parents you think? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I think that the head coach nominates their players for all district. 1st place gets so many nominations, 2nd place gets so many and so on. Then they vote for all district, but you can't vote for someone off your own team. That is why that happened to Rhea County. So really MKIS, you are right to a certain extent, the coach nominates their players, but then it is voted on by the coaches of the district. But you can't vote for someone from your own team. If that makes any sense.

I think that the head coach nominates their players for all district. 1st place gets so many nominations, 2nd place gets so many and so on. Then they vote for all district, but you can't vote for someone off your own team. That is why that happened to Rhea County. So really MKIS, you are right to a certain extent, the coach nominates their players, but then it is voted on by the coaches of the district. But you can't vote for someone from your own team. If that makes any sense.

There are no nominations the coach says who he/she wants to be on all district, then we have a mock vote just to be able to tell the parents that we voted. I have done this for many years and people need to realize that the coach will put who they want on All District, you can cut it anyway you want but this is the way it is done! By having a mock vote you can always say that she was not voted on by the other coaches but she was not put on there because the coach did not want her on there. Think people do you think that Coach A will let other coaches put a player on the All District team when they have only seen her play maybe twice or three times all year?? Coach A has seen her ALL YEAR and knows her ability, attitude, being a team player and etc. I would go nuts if another team would want to put one of my players on All District and I did not think that she should be on the team. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

In all my years I have never heard of anyone picking All District at the first of the year! How could you pick anyone for all district until you see what new players come into the league, who gets hurt and where you team finishes. Please share with me a team that finished last got more players than the teams that finished above them. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

i meant that they decide how the process will be done, not pick the actual players.

Don't you think scout was saying- the way they decide, is determined at the beginning of the year?

thks

Here is how it works...the coaches bring their DISTRICT ONLY stats...usually they have all their players stats with them, but it only makes sense to "nominate" those players whose stats are worth mentioning. Five to six girls are usually all that coaches throw out for the others to vote on. Let me stress that all the stats are there, so if a coach mentions a player whose name they haven't heard, the stats are there to show to all and they can vote for her if they feel the need too. Again...as a former coach who has been in this situation...I give all my girls the chance to make the team, but realistically, if they are hitting .250 or less, they really don't deserve to be on all district. That is unless you are WV who thinks that his players deserve it more than others because he likes them better...or whatever the reason is...

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! cascade11 - you are awesome! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> putting more players on does not mean they have better players, politics my friend, politics!

That is not how it works.... Mrnoitall is right on this one... Coaches come to the meeting and say who they want on there and that is what happens. If you had a true All-District team you would have to go by position, with more than one pitcher or catcher making the team. This SHOULD be based only on stats, but it is not the case. The coaches of weaker teams complain because their little Suzy is THEIR MVP and pitcher, and their team only gets one player on the All-District team, so they want her, even though she may be the FOURTH or FIFTH pitcher in the whole district. They complain because it is unfair. My opinion is that if Suzy is their MVP, then give her the MVP at your own team banquet at the end of the year. An All-district team is just that...the best players at each position out of a group of teams. I think there should be a set way of doing it, otherwise it will continue like it is, with each coach picking who THEY want on it from their team...

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! cascade11 - you are awesome! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> putting more players on does not mean they have better players, politics my friend, politics!

That was obviously meant in jest......Thus the /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> .........