DII State Tournament

stone17

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you see going all the way in the Division II State Tournament?

I am not aware of how the brackets have shaped up for D2 this year in substate but I believe that the top four teams in D2 are (in no particular order): McCallie, Baylor, CBHS, PJP2. And I hope that these are the four teams we see in state.

With that said, here are my thoughts:

PJPII has been looking strong all year but just lost to a strong McCallie squad in a seeding game.

Look for Baylor to be tough to defeat - they are just not giving up goals and beat McCallie in their region.

CBHS looks strong (as they did last year) and should be hungry for some payback.

Should be a great tournament to watch, several good teams involved.

I am not aware of how the brackets have shaped up for D2 this year in substate but I believe that the top four teams in D2 are (in no particular order): McCallie, Baylor, CBHS, PJP2. And I hope that these are the four teams we see in state.

With that said, here are my thoughts:

PJPII has been looking strong all year but just lost to a strong McCallie squad in a seeding game.

Look for Baylor to be tough to defeat - they are just not giving up goals and beat McCallie in their region.

CBHS looks strong (as they did last year) and should be hungry for some payback.

Should be a great tournament to watch, several good teams involved.

I think Baylor and McCallie are locks for the semis. CBHS will be looking to avenge their previous 3-0 loss to JP2, and the winner of that game will likely play Baylor in the semis. Then Father Ryan will play MBA for a third time in 3 weeks, and MBA are going to want to knock off probably the best playing team in D2 at this moment. Tell me if you agree or disagree. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I think that Father Ryan and Christian Brothers are the teams to beat. Father Ryan is coming off a 2-1 overtime win against JP2 in the Middle District Finals and a 3-0 win over Baylor in the Middle/East Region Championship.

And Christian Brothers is a strong team that has dominated the West all year.

I think that the winner of the JP2/Christian Brothers game will meet Father Ryan in the State Championship. JP2 beat CBHS in the regular season 3-0 so they will be looking to avenge that loss.

I think that Father Ryan and Christian Brothers are the teams to beat. Father Ryan is coming off a 2-1 overtime win against JP2 in the Middle District Finals and a 3-0 win over Baylor in the Middle/East Region Championship.

And Christian Brothers is a strong team that has dominated the West all year.

I think that the winner of the JP2/Christian Brothers game will meet Father Ryan in the State Championship. JP2 beat CBHS in the regular season 3-0 so they will be looking to avenge that loss.

IMO: Four teams in state will be CBHS, Baylor, McCallie and Father Ryan.

I am not sure that anyone is a lock as this time of year anything can happen. But like you I believe that Baylor, McCallie, Christian Brothers and Father Ryan will make it to state. A week ago I would have put JPII in there but having to travel to Christian Brothers to play will be a hugh task. Does anyone know if these 4 advance what the brackets for state would be?

I think Baylor and McCallie are locks for the semis. CBHS will be looking to avenge their previous 3-0 loss to JP2, and the winner of that game will likely play Baylor in the semis. Then Father Ryan will play MBA for a third time in 3 weeks, and MBA are going to want to knock off probably the best playing team in D2 at this moment. Tell me if you agree or disagree. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I am not sure that anyone is a lock as this time of year anything can happen. But like you I believe that Baylor, McCallie, Christian Brothers and Father Ryan will make it to state. A week ago I would have put JPII in there but having to travel to Christian Brothers to play will be a hugh task. Does anyone know if these 4 advance what the brackets for state would be?

If those 4 that you mentioned advance then the first semi would be Baylor vs. CBHS (rematch of the 2007 final) and McCallie vs. Father Ryan in the other semi.

I would agree as well on the four teams, however the only game I would question is the JP v CB game. JP should have their full roster back after one of their players had to sit due to a red card. My understanding is that he's a good player and so this should have an impact on the game. I think the recent defeats to FR and McCallie were without him. Anyone know anything about this?

I did not know that a JPII player sat out either game they lost to Father Ryan or McCallie due to a red card. Was he an impact player? They had been on a tremendous roll beating Farragut, Knox Catholic, Christian Brothers until the 2 losses. 15-0 I think. With that player back you are right....the JPII and Christian Brothers game is hugh.

I would agree as well on the four teams, however the only game I would question is the JP v CB game. JP should have their full roster back after one of their players had to sit due to a red card. My understanding is that he's a good player and so this should have an impact on the game. I think the recent defeats to FR and McCallie were without him. Anyone know anything about this?

I did not know that a JPII player sat out either game they lost to Father Ryan or McCallie due to a red card. Was he an impact player? They had been on a tremendous roll beating Farragut, Knox Catholic, Christian Brothers until the 2 losses. 15-0 I think. With that player back you are right....the JPII and Christian Brothers game is hugh.

I dug up the following from another post - I thought I remembered seeing something about it. The poster is addressing a question "how did JPII lose to Father Ryan?"

They were lacking a large chunk of their scoring punch. In the previous game while the were up by 3 goals, near the end of the game Will Maddox dissented over a throw-in near half line in front of all spectators. He addressed his dissent LOUDLY, focused not on the call, but directed at the referee. He had been cautioned earlier in the game, so it was his second caution. He will also have to set out this next game per TSSAA's rules regarding an ejected player.

The "set out this game" was the McCallie game is my understanding so he'll be back for CB. Yes, should be a great game to see.

You know most players would not do this but I am sure that coaches will be reminding their players of this type of situation and what it can do to a team. This player's poor decision after being warned by a ref could have cost his team 2 games.....and having to travel to Memphis to play CBHS. I am sure he wishes he could have taken that moment back.

I dug up the following from another post - I thought I remembered seeing something about it. The poster is addressing a question "how did JPII lose to Father Ryan?"

They were lacking a large chunk of their scoring punch. In the previous game while the were up by 3 goals, near the end of the game Will Maddox dissented over a throw-in near half line in front of all spectators. He addressed his dissent LOUDLY, focused not on the call, but directed at the referee. He had been cautioned earlier in the game, so it was his second caution. He will also have to set out this next game per TSSAA's rules regarding an ejected player.

The "set out this game" was the McCallie game is my understanding so he'll be back for CB. Yes, should be a great game to see.

are you sure JP2 had a player with a red card that had to sit out against McCallie? It was my understanding that no one set out against McCallie. Unless I am wrong Will Maddox played.