MMA to support DIV 1 wrestling in TN?

deadlift

MMA could be legal in TN soon as it's already been passed in the TN House by a 95-2 margin. It still has to be approved in the Senate. The Senate version has an amendment that would direct funds to DIV 1 wrestling in TN. I thought this was a great idea, but apparantly some of the MMA promoters do not. Here's a couple of links with some info including one which I responded to.

http://www.groundnpound.org/plugins/forum/...topic.php?20094

http://www.groundnpound.org/plugins/forum/...topic.php?20138

MMA is one step closer to being legalized in TN. The amendment to direct some of the proceeds to Division 1 college wrestling in TN is still intact. The bill goes to the full Senate next. I pasted the below info from another site.

NASHVILLE (AP) -- A bill to legalize and regulate "mixed martial arts" competitions in Tennessee is headed for a full Senate vote.

The measure passed the Senate Finance Committee 10-1 on Monday.

The companion bill was approved 95-2 in the House last week.

The measure would create a new commission to regulate amateur and professional contests beyond the boxing and kickboxing currently permitted in Tennessee.

The committee approved an amendment by Sen. Bo Watson that would direct some of the proceeds to Division I wrestling programs in Tennessee.

The Hixson Republican has argued that the wrestling program at the school near his district should benefit because many professional fighters have a background in collegiate wrestling.