BEST GRASS IN STATE!

gpl2xc

just tryin to get an idea of what everybody is playing on this year, do you prefer the soft feel of fescue or the durability of bermuda. some say a hybrid of kentucky featherbed and ziosa works best in the southeast. as for the disrtict tournament the quality of the grass plays a big part and allows teams to showcase all of their talent at the highest level. i mean who wants to worry about playing in a dustbowl just because people are not sensible enough to water the fields, especially come regionals, i would have to say that brentwood has on eof the best quailty fields in the midstate, hows it lookin in east tennesee.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At CBHS, we play on the turf field put down by the football boosters . . . green year round and never needs cutting!

Don't know if this is that new turf with the granular black stuff in it, but Morristown West has that, and I have heard mixed reviews on how teams like it.

Personally, I like a nice thin leaf bermuda field.

Don't know if this is that new turf with the granular black stuff in it, but Morristown West has that, and I have heard mixed reviews on how teams like it.

We played Morristown E in a scrimmage before the season started on their new turf. It was nice! Problem was that the lines are permanent...football and soccer...a wider field for soccer but the same length as the football field. The ball rolled sooooo smoothly on it.

does the turf not get too hot? I have heard about the artificial turf causing burns when the sun is on it too long but that might be something different...

I saw a recent report on the art fields and it didn't look to good. Problems with some kids getting sick form the chemicals used in the making of the fake grass and rubber in the material.

Synthetic fields are made of polyethylene fibers simulating grass stabilized with rubber pellets.

Guive Mirfendereski , a Newton lawyer, says artificial turf gives off much more heat than grass, and, if used widely, could contribute to global warming.

He also expressed concern that materials used to make and clean the turf could leach into local water supplies, and questioned how the turf would be disposed of once it wears out .

"Any one of these on its own poses a danger to the environment and public health," Mirfendereski wrote in a letter last month to the state environmental secretary.

But Stuart Gaffin , an atmospheric scientist whose focus is excess heat in urban areas and storm-water runoff, said synthetic turf poses problems on both scores.

Guive Mirfendereski , a Newton lawyer, says artificial turf gives off much more heat than grass, and, if used widely, could contribute to global warming.

I have also heard that if all soccer players wore black cleats that it would heat up the world 10 degrees! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Come on! Are you serious about this guy, Rigger? Artificial turf leading to global warming?!? Guive Mirfenereski a pseudonym for Al Gore?

I'm with you on that. Believe it or not, though, soccer is not the big sport at CBHS - so we play on what's there for us! I've never played on it, but the ball does roll true - no bad bounces. Also, no rain outs or practices forced indoors because the field is too muddy. We do practice on grass, and my guess is most of the players would prefer a nice smooth grass field.