June 10-12 TSSAA Meeting

DonCChatt

Okay, that's one field, what about others? I would guestimate there are 20-30, maybe 40 or more fields within a 20 miles radius of our home, most within 10 miles. One of the local schools uses one of the community fields for all of their games. Great working relationship between the Town and the school. All it took was a little initiative on someone' part and the passion not to stop when they heard the first "no".

Hopefully you realize I am trying to help here. Schedule a meeting with an elected town official. You may be surprised to find out what you can do with a volume of voters.

I feel for Bean in this no-win conversation thread. Obviously those with all the ideas have not had to deal with the Knoxville Politics when it comes to Soccer in this Community. Baseball and Football Rule, we do have several fields, however the ones in charge like everyone to know it is their way and soccer community should be thankful for what they have. Shoot we have several fields, like Victor Ash Park (probably capable of 6 full size fields, and Cellular Field where we can't even get Lights. But all baseball Fields and football Fields have lights. Bottom line is what Bean is trying to get across is Soccer is a long ways from being in the Perfect Scenario in Knoxville. It has come a long ways, but no where near the investment that Nashville and Chattanooga has.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The goal here is to make YOU the winner.

Is there a KYAA (Knoxville Youth Athletic Association)?

How many young adults play football, how many play baseball and how many play soccer?

Respectively the ratio here is something like 2:3:5 or 2:2:6. When you consider REC, D2 and D1, the numbers become more staggering. Add high school players. All of a sudden you will see how simple it is to see how under served you may be.

Here are some other things to consider. I you host a tournament, how much revenue will this bring into a city....PER WEEKEND. ,,,,,,check this out......

US Youth Soccer Regional Championships Bring Over $34 Million to Local Economies

May 21, 2008

The US Youth Soccer Regional Championships, the second leg of the prestigious US Youth Soccer National Championship Series, is estimated to provide more than $34 million in economic impact to the Honolulu, Rockford, Raleigh/Wilson and Portland areas.

Local restaurants, hotels, retail stores and others will benefit from the more than 24,000 players, coaches, teams and tournament officials, who also bring along their families to the US Youth Soccer Regional Championships. Visitors are estimated to book more than 79,000 hotel room nights in the Honolulu, Rockford, Raleigh/Wilson and Portland areas.

"The US Youth Soccer Regional Championships provide many great opportunities for everyone involved in these prestigious events," said US Youth Soccer President, Larry Monaco. "Our host US Youth Soccer State Associations, their Local Organizing Committees, and our National Office Staff all put in a great deal of effort to ensure that the players have the best possible experiences and the Regional Championships run smoothly. Their efforts provide enormous benefits to the host city and state when the thousands of players, coaches, referees, and families come to town."

An estimated $43 million in economic impact benefited host cities for the 2007 US Youth Soccer Regional Championships (Des Moines, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City and Portland).

Regional winners of the Under-14 through Under-19 brackets earn a berth to the 2008 US Youth Soccer National Championships to be played July 22-27, in North Little Rock, Arkansas, at Burns Park Soccer Complex.

One of the 12 national crowns awarded is the James P. McGuire Cup, the oldest trophy in youth sport dating back to 1935 with the inaugural youth championships. The Under-19 Boys National Champion will hoist the McGuire Cup on the 73rd anniversary of the storied cup.

Yes there is something very similar here in Knoxville, it is called the University of TN football, and now also a little basketball. Everything else revolves around that. I'm not saying it is good or bad, just the way it is. No where else in the state has that. There is no way that Knoxville can come close to hosting a Regional. Also, no one has stepped forward to donate/create a suitable park for soccer. As mentioned, Victor Ashe could, but it would have to sacrifice a few youth league football/baseball fields and add lights. It may happen, but don't hold your breath.

For that matter, the TSSA held games on 'sub-sized' fields for the girls state tournament this year.

The facility was Moss-Wright Park. The "fields" were not undersized as the entire soccer area is one large field. Small fields were "painted" onto the turf (fertilized dirt), east to west to take full advantage of the sun (ask any keeper). As only about 50% of the surface was being used, it left everyone wondering why wouldn't you paint normal sized fields as long as you had the room.

Back to our topic.....Yes, Knoxville has football and basjketball. Come to think of it, I think Nashville has a team called the Titans. Oh yeah, I think the University of Memphis has a basketball team too, that hasn't stopped us from making sure our children get the facilities they need. If you really wish to draw that example to the extreme, Dallas doesn't do to bad with that soccer team too, despite a couple of pro teams.

Apples and oranges. Seems as eveyone has given up before they started.

The Cellular fields would be a great place. We have played on each of those fields. Do you know there are grants available for lights? Knock on a few doors, you may be pleasantly surprised to what you may find. Even some very small local businesses have donated several thousand dollars to some of our local programs. It just took someone going out and asking for it.

The facility was Moss-Wright Park. The "fields" were not undersized as the entire soccer area is one large field. Small fields were "painted" onto the turf (fertilized dirt), east to west to take full advantage of the sun (ask any keeper). As only about 50% of the surface was being used, it left everyone wondering why wouldn't you paint normal sized fields as long as you had the room.

While off topic, I agree that Moss-Wright was in poor shape, and many of the fields were small. I thought you were talking TSSAA, but now see you said TSSA. What didn't make sense to me is that the same soccer association also has the field in Hendersonville (< 10 miles away) that my brother said were in much better shape. Also, they might have been able to convince Hendersonville High School to let them use the "Field of Dreams" for the Championship games.

Here is the action taken on the soccer proposals:

27. Denied the following proposal from Hendersonville High School and the Tennessee

High School Soccer Coaches Association: All TSSAA tournament games be played on

a soccer field 60 yards wide and 110 yards long beginning with the 2010-2011 school

year.

Voted to table the proposal regarding a change in red card suspensions until the

August meeting. Also instructed the state office to look at the administration

of the red cards and bring back to the Board in August.

Another one with an impact on Soccer --

Due to issues of travel and gas prices, the Board voted to recommend to all schools

at the district and regional tournaments in volleyball, soccer, girls soccer, basketball,

baseball, softball that all games be played at the higher seed site throughout the

tournament.

full minutes:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_129592.asp

Another one with an impact on Soccer --

Due to issues of travel and gas prices, the Board voted to recommend to all schools

at the district and regional tournaments in volleyball, soccer, girls soccer, basketball,

baseball, softball that all games be played at the higher seed site throughout the

tournament.

full minutes:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_129592.asp

Doesn't every district already play it this way in soccer? I know our region does. How will this save gas?

Canes, the cell fields are nice, but are too small for high school soccer (at least in my opinion). Knoxville just doesn't have a decent complex for highschool soccer. This is one reason that I hope the state tournament doesn't come here.

Doesn't every district already play it this way in soccer? I know our region does. How will this save gas?

In our district, the regular season winner host the district tournament, and all games are played there. Now, the semi-final games will be played at 2 locations. I agree that it doesn't save gas, but it does allow the 2nd-place team the ability to have a home game for their semi-final game (we've only had 4 teams in the playoffs up to now).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, that's one field, what about others? I would guestimate there are 20-30, maybe 40 or more fields within a 20 miles radius of our home, most within 10 miles. One of the local schools uses one of the community fields for all of their games. Great working relationship between the Town and the school. All it took was a little initiative on someone' part and the passion not to stop when they heard the first "no".

Hopefully you realize I am trying to help here. Schedule a meeting with an elected town official. You may be surprised to find out what you can do with a volume of voters.

I have to side with Bean007 here. In Knoxville there is only two public fields with lights. I would venture to say that within 10 miles of West HS there are less than six public fields, within 20 or 30 miles, what does it matter. No school is going to have their games that far away unless they are in a rural area. Knoxville has NO lareg soccerc complex with more than THREE full size fields. Bottom line...leave it they way it is.

Bean007 is right...weather and condition of field effect the play more than size. Both of those conditions have to be dealt with by both teams. The field at West is fine, but the crown is severe and effects play to an extent. Again that has to do with condition and both teams must adjust. Money in schools is better spent on ACADEMICS. As far as finding money for football... Well when womens soccer makes as much money as football, then I am sure they will find a way to come up funds just the same.

I have to side with Bean007 here. In Knoxville there is only two public fields with lights. I would venture to say that within 10 miles of West HS there are less than six public fields, within 20 or 30 miles, what does it matter. No school is going to have their games that far away unless they are in a rural area. Knoxville has NO lareg soccerc complex with more than THREE full size fields. Bottom line...leave it they way it is.

Bean007 is right...weather and condition of field effect the play more than size. Both of those conditions have to be dealt with by both teams. The field at West is fine, but the crown is severe and effects play to an extent. Again that has to do with condition and both teams must adjust. Money in schools is better spent on ACADEMICS. As far as finding money for football... Well when womens soccer makes as much money as football, then I am sure they will find a way to come up funds just the same.

[/quote

did you quit before you gave up?