Dobyns Bennett Football08

Sr. Throp DB

Sr. Brown Dog LB

Sr. Bowyer DE

Sr. Harvey DE

and lots of lowerclassmen that dont matter as much. but 4 seniors quitting. 2 probably would have started and the other two would have seen lots of playing time.

Two senior starters and two other seniors projected to play a lot quitting the team in July is pretty unusual. Is there something else at play here?

One thing I have often heard from Indian Nation is frustration related to the relative few number of people who see meaningful playing time. It seems GC plays a lot of people both ways when some would think it might be better to do a little more two platooning. Of course, that is a bit of a coaching philosophy question and it is hard to argue with GC's results.

All that said, I doubt these losses will really affect the Indians' overall results this year - 1st or 2nd in RI-5A, 2nd or 3rd round playoff exit.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sr. Throp DB

I would have told you that if I didn't have to pay for an account. He told me personally in Math class he was gonna quit football, and focus on basketball this coming school year.

From what I've been told,it was because he was put behind another player during a spring game and it didn't sit well with him or his family. The reason I heard Brown folded was because of player movements and he felt that he was going to be the odd man out to a player that had never played dogback . The bottom line is,it's our coaches who make these moves and if the kids respond well it's ok.If the players don't respond well,then instead of busting their backsides for Dobyns Bennett,they go somewhere different or put more time into something like school and girls.It doesn't mean the coaches are wrong or that the players are loosers,it's just life.

From what I've been told,it was because he was put behind another player during a spring game and it didn't sit well with him or his family. The reason I heard Brown folded was because of player movements and he felt that he was going to be the odd man out to a player that had never played dogback . The bottom line is,it's our coaches who make these moves and if the kids respond well it's ok.If the players don't respond well,then instead of busting their backsides for Dobyns Bennett,they go somewhere different or put more time into something like school and girls.It doesn't mean the coaches are wrong or that the players are loosers,it's just life.

Heck, we may end up with ANOTHER radio announcer now! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Two senior starters and two other seniors projected to play a lot quitting the team in July is pretty unusual. Is there something else at play here?

One thing I have often heard from Indian Nation is frustration related to the relative few number of people who see meaningful playing time. It seems GC plays a lot of people both ways when some would think it might be better to do a little more two platooning. Of course, that is a bit of a coaching philosophy question and it is hard to argue with GC's results.

All that said, I doubt these losses will really affect the Indians' overall results this year - 1st or 2nd in RI-5A, 2nd or 3rd round playoff exit.

Your right about one thing, its hard to argue with GC's results. But I don't know what Indian Nation you've been listening to. All I've heard is one or two people on CoachT whine about playing time for their son or cousin. The "Indian Nation" want's to see the best players on the field. From what I can see every suscessful team plays it that way. The Liberals haven't turned high school football into "Upward Football" yet, although that is comming in the future.

No matter how you slice it the four players that quit the team are "quitters". Best they are gone now and not in the middle of the season or middle of a play. The "team" is better off without them.

Your right about one thing, its hard to argue with GC's results. But I don't know what Indian Nation you've been listening to. All I've heard is one or two people on CoachT whine about playing time for their son or cousin. The "Indian Nation" want's to see the best players on the field. From what I can see every suscessful team plays it that way. The Liberals haven't turned high school football into "Upward Football" yet, although that is comming in the future.

No matter how you slice it the four players that quit the team are "quitters". Best they are gone now and not in the middle of the season or middle of a play. The "team" is better off without them.

I'm beginning to like you, alittle, again. I could not agree more.

I can assure you that my knowledge of Indian Nation is significantly broader than the folks that post on this board. You may even work for one of them. It's like the old joke - What does a UT grad call a Vandy grad on Monday morning after the UT - Vandy game? - "Boss".

That said, kids are quick to quit anything hard that does not go well for them. Our culture of instant gratification (of which we all are a part) has not served high school sports well. In fact, we have somewhat defaced the culture of "honorable competition" which made this country great - but that is a topic for another board. Potential HS athletes have many more options for their discretionary time, need (and want) to make money at a job, realize they have less chance than they did 20 years ago to get a meaningful football scholarship, are pretty much forced to pick a single sport when they are a sophomore, and must endure "helicopter" parents who are overly involved in their reps, carries, playing time, etc. With all their eggs in one sports basket they have a low tolerance for any setback. When faced with a setback in their "playing career" they simply make a rational (for them) choice to move on. Please be certain, I am not saying these kids are "softer" than previous generations (many of who post on this board). The previous generation would likely have responded the same way these kids do - the range of consequences and options for them is far different than it was for their dads.

Whoa, too much philosophy. Time to line up and hit somebody. Not long until Week 0, thank goodness for all of us.

I certainly agree with your first sentence. GC is a local treasure. For those of you who have not seen it, please take a look at the column by Vince Staton in Wednesday's Kingsport Times News. GC is the Lou Holtz of HS Football - one of the best in the country in that regard.