A/AA Pre-Season Predictions

DonCChatt

No, it just gets old after a while. Anyway, I appreciate the apology. Let's move on.

Akula, are your girls going to camp anywhere?

"gets old after a while"

it gets old watching the private schools dominate over the public schools in a small schools whenever they should be competing against the other big schools

I mean what was the margin of victory for CAK (past 4 years when they one state) and Catholic (this past season) after the district championship

Catholic one the state semi's 5-0 and beat CAK 3-0 in the finals

CAK I know was in a barn burner with Alcoa and Pigeon Forge but with injuries and loss of major talent the past two seasons I mean you all were do for a down year

Seymour got drilled by Catholic 6-0 and i think Other than the 2 CAK games really had no challenge running to win the state championship

i mean lets think here this year seymours boys took oakridge to a shoot out at Dobnys Bennett and Alcoa beat them I am pretty sure and yet they make it to the state tournament in AAA and yet every year Seymour and Alcoa get put out respectively by CAK an Catholic and both of these schools would compete for state tournament births in AAA not every year but yet they would compete

Where as the public schools in AAA stand little chance of making it to the state tournament becuase of the privates

So I will say this I am glad G that Seymour is moving up next year not because they will be competing for state championships but because at least it will be an even playing field with the other teams they face and i know for my sons sake at least his senior yea

Everyone makes the argument for club those who can afford it well they play what about the others whose parents can barely afford the gas in there cars to go to work much less tuition for a private school these kids are just forced every year to play a good season against both big and small schools to lose to the same privates year after year now in my opinion G that is what gets old

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"gets old after a while"

it gets old watching the private schools dominate over the public schools in a small schools whenever they should be competing against the other big schools

I mean what was the margin of victory for CAK (past 4 years when they one state) and Catholic (this past season) after the district championship

CAK I know was in a barn burner with Alcoa and Pigeon Forge but with injuries and loss of major talent the past two seasons I mean you all were do for a down year

Seymour got drilled by Catholic 6-0 and i think Other than the 2 CAK games really had no challenge running to win the state championship

i mean lets think here this year seymours boys took oakridge to a shoot out at Dobnys Bennett and Alcoa beat them I am pretty sure and yet they make it to the state tournament in AAA and yet every year Seymour and Alcoa get put out respectively by CAK an Catholic and both of these schools would compete for state tournament births in AAA not every year but yet they would compete

Where as the public schools in AAA stand little chance of making it to the state tournament becuase of the privates

So I will say this I am glad G that Seymour is moving up next year not because they will be competing for state championships but because at least it will be an even playing field with the other teams they face and i know for my sons sake at least his senior yea

Everyone makes the argument for club those who can afford it well they play what about the others whose parents can barely afford the gas in there cars to go to work much less tuition for a private school these kids are just forced every year to play a good season against both big and small schools to lose to the same privates year after year now in my opinion G that is what gets old

Fair enough. I can respect your opinion in that. I actually think it is pretty well stated. I will be interested in seeing what is officially going to happen when the new soccer districts come out in August. It could get pretty interesting.

I'd just like to state for the record, I am glad alcoa is not in AAA, I have no desire to see farragut, west, maryville, bearden, oak ridge, etc.. in the playoffs, we play them to prepare for our playoffs in A/AA. Plus, we only have 450-500 students so I'm just happy we can field a fully roster in soccer each year. =)

Ref, I know you feel that any private school should be up or gone to D2, I like the merit system described on here, but sounds like that will never happen. As far as I am concerned though, I would only cause myself a few more grey hairs worrying about it, my view is to coach up my teams as well as I can each year and hope we play our best game when we face CAK or Catholic if we make it that far. Yeah, I want to go to state, but I enjoy the challenge of knowing I have to work hard and coach hard to even compete. Keeps me honest and makes my players better. I am not a parent, so I don't know your frustration from that point of view, but I spend almost as much time with my kids as some of their parents and it pains me each year when it ends, but it would hurt even if we lost at state to a public school.

I actually am looking forward to the day we win that big game against CAK or Cahtolic and advance. I don't mean any arrogance to G or anyone else, but I have full confidence in my players that we are catching up and it is only a matter of time.

The sooner the better.

I actually am looking forward to the day we win that big game against CAK or Cahtolic and advance. I don't mean any arrogance to G or anyone else, but I have full confidence in my players that we are catching up and it is only a matter of time.

The sooner the better.

You know as well as I do, there is nothing arrogant about those goals. It also won't take a miracle for it to occur, either. You have raised the bar at Alcoa to be a true competitor in both girls and guys soccer combined (and if I remember correctly, advanced farther than CAK girls did about 4 years ago!). I have NOTHING but the UTMOST respect for you and your program and all of your players. They are the classiest group of young men I have ever coached against. Just understand, though, that we aren't going to hold ANYTHING back in our "Paintball Palooza 2009"!

"gets old after a while"

Easttnref...I feel your pain.

But it's not the private schools fault that most of their kids play club. Most clubs have scholarships or will work with a parent for their child to play. There have been many times us poor public school parents ( Thats me by the way) that have car pooled to practice or even to tourny's or have started our own teams. Right now I know of a u-16 girls club team that is short on players...there are teams out there.

For other parents out there please, please don't let "money" stop you from talking with your local clubs for your child to play. Really all the club can say is NO.

Easttnref...I feel your pain.

But it's not the private schools fault that most of their kids play club. Most clubs have scholarships or will work with a parent for their child to play. There have been many times us poor public school parents ( Thats me by the way) that have car pooled to practice or even to tourny's or have started our own teams. Right now I know of a u-16 girls club team that is short on players...there are teams out there.

For other parents out there please, please don't let "money" stop you from talking with your local clubs for your child to play. Really all the club can say is NO.

Which they are not scared to do

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Apparently, getting Kroger/Schnuck's/Publix to ease or even totally finance your soccer $ must be the world's greatest secret.

For every dollar you spend in groceries/gas, they will fuel your private account.

Club cost us $0 this year.

Can this be any simpler? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Fair enough. I can respect your opinion in that. I actually think it is pretty well stated. I will be interested in seeing what is officially going to happen when the new soccer districts come out in August. It could get pretty interesting.

Now G I will say this I know I bust your chops on here alot kindly because that is what I do best i mean nothing behind it, it is just the way I am. If it means anything to you i would bust your chops in person too! i don't have many friends as you can tell I am always on here.

I respect what you have done and brought to soccer in the knoxville area. I know when you got CAK they were not at the top and with the help of club and supportive parents and players you were able to achieve. I know I use you and Catholic as a punching bag of sorts but you all are the privates in the Knoxville area that the small schools must deal with. The fact is that there are many more privates all over the state doing the same thing.

Now with that said I know know you don't recruit G you are a honest guy. No matter how many cheap shots I have taken you have stood firm on what you belive and responded eliquently. The fact is privates schools do the recruiting on there own from a academic standpoint and religion mainly.

So less kids to choose from as an overall school population, but privates have the smarter more morally driven athletes. Whose parents have the money to fund the expensive travel teams.

Do you agree with that?

So why should privates play with the small schools?

Now G I will say this I know I bust your chops on here alot kindly because that is what I do best i mean nothing behind it, it is just the way I am. If it means anything to you i would bust your chops in person too! i don't have many friends as you can tell I am always on here.

I respect what you have done and brought to soccer in the knoxville area. I know when you got CAK they were not at the top and with the help of club and supportive parents and players you were able to achieve. I know I use you and Catholic as a punching bag of sorts but you all are the privates in the Knoxville area that the small schools must deal with. The fact is that there are many more privates all over the state doing the same thing.

Now with that said I know know you don't recruit G you are a honest guy. No matter how many cheap shots I have taken you have stood firm on what you belive and responded eliquently. The fact is privates schools do the recruiting on there own from a academic standpoint and religion mainly.

So less kids to choose from as an overall school population, but privates have the smarter more morally driven athletes. Whose parents have the money to fund the expensive travel teams.

Do you agree with that?

So why should privates play with the small schools?

I gotta say, who are you and what have you done with East TN Ref?!?!? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I really do appreciate what you said above. This is a sports forum where opinions are pretty much the meat and potatoes of the threads, and "bustin chops" has a place (I just think you get some kicks and giggles out of our/my chops, but in a way, rightfully so). I think you say what you feel, and call it the way you see it, and while it might not be the "p.c." way of doing things, you probably say things that others are thinking, but don't post out of being "nice". I have to be honest, and say that there are many times that I want to post "non eloquently" (wow, can I use more quotation marks in a post?!?!) but I feel very strongly that I have an obligation to represent my Lord and school and self in the words that I use, that I spend a LONG time in thinking what I write. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am human too, and I get frustrated just like you do, but in different things and in different situations. I just don't always post about them.

I must say that there is meat to your arguments (of which I will get to in a moment) but I would plead that you look at things from our perspective, too. We have had the blessing of success recently (except for the drumming we received from Catholic in the finals) and just happen to be a "soccer school" as of right now. But like Alcoa is a "football school" (and becoming more of a soccer school each year) I don't think they should move up, just because they are dominating. Winning doesn't dictate classifications (although if they did the merit system, which I and Akula are all for, it would) but school size does. In soccer, the bigger city schools in A/AA and the private schools, seem to do better because, in my and MVM's opinions, they have more club players. Rural schools CAN do this, but I will agree, it is much harder to do, and probably more costly because of distance of travel.

In Delaware (where I grew up and my niece just finished her senior year playing soccer) they have one state champion. One. In ALL sizes and publics and privates. While the state is small, 16 teams qualify for state, and then one is crowned. This includes the big publics and big privates with small publics and small privates. I really wouldn't like that set up, but I do like the fact that the champion can say that they are THE state champion in Delaware.

So, what should we do here? OK... merit system just wont happen, though I like it, no way. IF they are going to change anything, the most likely scenario that I have seen that would work is a split at playoffs (which is pretty much what happens now anyway in a sense). I think they are going to go this route fairly soon. A/AA privates will play the privates and then A/AA publics will play publics. Regular season would still be the same (though I don't know how they would work out rankings or seeds) but then I don't get how they are doing football this year from 3 divisions to 6 in the tournament either.

To boil it all down, I think in any situation, SOMEONE is going to be at a disadvantage. Either by talent, club players, bench depth and so on, if privates move up or out, there will still be disparity in A/AA just like there is in AAA. I don't think that crowning more state champions is the answer, although I think it will come to that.

Anyway, I need to go get my beauty sleep so I won't be grumpy coaching Akula's niece and nephew tomorrow (and no EastTNref, I'm not recruiting them either /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> , thought wouldn't that REALLY tick Akula off if they played at CAK!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Again, thanks for opening up. I really respect that, and find that after a while, most open minded people on the boards can find some common ground. Shoot, I even started to like MVM after a while!!!

.......... but privates have the smarter more morally driven athletes. Whose parents have the money to fund the expensive travel teams........

Talk about a 'stereotype'!!! Come on Ref, you surely didn't mean to slam every kid and parent that attends public school!!!???? Smarter......More morally driven???? Those same kids attend public schools. Heck, one might even be YOUR child. Some of those parents make significant sacrifices just so their kids can attend a private school for what they believe is a better environment or EDUCATION, not sports. I can also guarantee you that those kids and parents have their on moral issues and problems, us 'poor-folk' don't have the market cornered on that. Also there are other private schools that don't excel at sports every year, and believe it or not, CAK will have its ups and downs too. And not every club team is an 'expensive travel team'. Yes, some are. Anyway, that statement is WAY off base.

Wow.... Lot's of interesting points, however I thought this topic was A/AA Pre-Season Predictions and not the Public/Private Debate. I think it is pretty safe to say, that over 95% of the girls and their families in the state do not choose to go to a private school because of their soccer program.... Do you think we could get back to the subject?

Wow.... Lot's of interesting points, however I thought this topic was A/AA Pre-Season Predictions and not the Public/Private Debate. I think it is pretty safe to say, that over 95% of the girls and their families in the state do not choose to go to a private school because of their soccer program.... Do you think we could get back to the subject?

Sure ..............predict away /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />