New math lesson, part II

swamp

Well, we have batted back and forth ideas about how we solve our differences about classification. I just want to show you some math before you make your individual plan recommendations. I have advocated a 4-classification, 16-district plan, but that is a plan that requires some "fuzzy math" to make work. Here's some things I looked at today:

In the current system we have 305 schools which competed last year in football, and we are adding 3 more. Of those, 23 were in division II.

If we keep DII split as is:

DI=308-23=285

3 classes: 285/3=95.00 teams per class

4 classes: 285/4=71.25 teams per class

5 classes: 285/5=57.00 teams per class

6 classes: 285/6=47.50 teams per class

If we have a total split:

DI=308-(23+19)=266

3 classes: 266/3=88.67 teams per class

4 classes: 266/4=66.50 teams per class

5 classes: 266/5=53.20 teams per class

6 classes: 266/6=44.33 teams per class

If we have no split (my personal favorite):

3 classes: 308/3=102.67 teams per class

4 classes: 308/4=77.00 teams per class

5 classes: 308/5=61.60 teams per class

6 classes: 308/6=51.33 teams per class

My recommendations based on the math:

DII as is:

5 DI classes, 8 regs: (7x7)+(1x8)=57

Total split:

5 DI classes, 8 regs: (6x7)+(2x6)=54

No split:

5 classes, 8 regs: (6x8)+(2x7)=62

I would personally rather see 4 classifications, and 16 districts, but I just can't make the math work...

nonews,

What have you contributed to this board? You don't stand for anything...all you do is attack people because of their beliefs, you make fun of private schools (Utopia school of Jackson, I think it would be Utopian school of Jackson) you make fun of urban public schools like melrose and make comments about they only have 8 people in the stands...Instead of telling VolGen to settle down, you tell him not to blow a gasket, I don't know who you root for, or how and if you want to solve this public/private debate...personally attacking people does not do it, and then you say things like "you guys actually think you might make a difference" which is fine to say, but you attacking people who are trying to bring about a greater good does not help anyone...I really do enjoy your biting wit, but could you talk more about solving the situation, then just getting people off the subject? I don't think I am the only person that thinks this either, your language is too hard for me to pick up on (even with a private school education, I understand your words but not necessarily the meaning behind them). Before you respond, please look back at my first question, What have you contributed to this board.

P.S. Please do not decipher and analyze my use of writing, I know I am not the best, and their might be sentence fragments or run on sentences, but that has nothing to do with the public private debate.

... I will take your inquiries one at a time...

1. "What have you contributed to this board?" ... essentially nothing, as was my intention, except perhaps a bit of jest now and then, it's my belief we are all entirely too serious about this whole business...

2. "all you do is attack people because of their beliefs, you make fun of private schools (Utopia school of Jackson, I think it would be Utopian school of Jackson) you make fun of urban public schools like melrose and make comments about they only have 8 people in the stands..." ... I'm not really sure if Utopia or Utopian is correct, I'll try to find out if you're truly interested... as for attacks, guilty as charged, mainly because the tone of some of the posts strikes a responsive chord... as for Melrose, I believe I admitted that their support was much better than most inner-city schools, although I freely admit that I made the argument that lack of support or interest was a major reason why good coaches are not interested in many of the same jobs, I haven't seen anything that convinces me that my point was invalid...

3. "I don't know who you root for, or how and if you want to solve this public/private debate" ... I root for no team in particular, I do follow the rural West Tn. teams, usually opting to attend whatever game I deem will be most interesting that week. I have no intentions of "solving" anything, wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it if I did...

4. "I really do enjoy your biting wit" ... thanks, that made my day (and for once I'm not being facetious)...

5. "your language is too hard for me to pick up on (even with a private school education, I understand your words but not necessarily the meaning behind them)" ... let's just say I enjoy exercising poetic license, and yes I too occasionally consult the dictionary, mainly for spelling. Given the sad state of grammar and creativity among many of the posts here (present company excluded of course), I would hope that maybe some of my posts at least break the monotony or stimulate an occasional smile. If so, I have been successful in my quest, if not, simply relegate me to the category of insolent ######...

5. "P.S. Please do not decipher and analyze my use of writing, I know I am not the best, and their might be sentence fragments or run on sentences, but that has nothing to do with the public private debate" ... there's nothing wrong with your writing, the idea is to communicate and you do that well. If I have a propensity for the flowery phrase or a tendency towards overwrought verbiage, it's all in good fun and shouldn't be taken seriously. God help me if I ever take myself seriously...

... I hope this response has cleared the air between us, I'm having a ball here and hope you are too...