2008 TWSA All-State Soccer Teams

Hoya

It looks like they missed Jake Holt also.

I agree. In my opinion, Jake Holt was Farragut's best player. I wouldn't get too upset over this though. I believe the real list will come out in a couple of weeks, and a lot of players who were left off will be added. Also, some of the players that were wrongfully on this list will not be on the real list.

Also, Hoya--You are correct. It is ridiculous that some of the players on this list made it over Tyler Gibson. That is why I wouldn't pay too much attention to it; sportswriters really do a poor job sometimes.

They also messed up on the coach of the year. Dins8 deserved to win that one hahaha

How do you know I didn't get Coach of the Year? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Now I got ya thinking, don't I?

How do you know I didn't get Coach of the Year? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Now I got ya thinking, don't I?

You are an evil evil man (or MAYBE NOT a man!!!!) Now THAT would make things interesting!

I agree that both Mark and Tyler were overlooked and I am not sure how that happened. When you look at our area, those two are some of the best we have and I think that was a mistake. The writers at the sentinel do not only cover soccer so I am sure it was an honest mistake for nominations on their part.

Now, I think the sam thompson comment on the other post is silly. The kid is all state in football and a starter in basketball. The fact he can perform at a high level at 3 varsity sports is amazing. He has a career record of 28-1-2 within the district if I counted correctly with 3 district championships. And while he has some talent around him, he makes things happen because he refuses to accept anything other than his best and our team feeds off that and we are all better for it.

Easttnref, just so you know, i think carlos is a really talented player, and passed his name along when anyone asked me if I knew of a sleeper that may be overlooked/missed by colleges.

I think Sam T. caught the sportswriters' eyes because he has the "It" factor. I honestly think he has mediocre soccer skills, but he is extremely athletic, and he brings a great physical presence to the pitch. More importantly, he has an outstanding work ethic, and that makes for a great leader. Shoot, I think #10 on Alcoa is quite a bit more talented than Sam T., but if I were going to pick a player from Alcoa that I would want to play on my team, I would no doubt pick Thompson first. (This is no offense to #10; he is a great soccer player). But Sam is gritty and his energy is contagious.

Is he as talented as Mark S. or Tyler G.? Not even close. But he has a bunch of intangibles that make him a better player than some that are more talented.

Again, I wouldn't put too much stock in this list. Mark S. and Tyler G. will both be on the real All-State list. I am not so sure that Sam T. will be, but it wouldn't surprise me. After all, when I looked at the list and saw his name, I at first raised my eyebrows, but then, after I thought about it, I found myself nodding my head.