Class 3A: Region 5 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2008?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2008?

For Page to hang in there with a 5A power is quite a feet. I think the Patriots will be the most improved team in 2008. Because they were also the most improved team in 2007, I will be surprised if they don't make the playoffs.

I wouldn't call Ravenwood a 5a power anymore. All those boys are long gone and aren't going to be back in the near future. However that's good to hear that the Patriots held in there with the Raptors. Seems like they are on the uprise.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Page to hang in there with a 5A power is quite a feet. I think the Patriots will be the most improved team in 2008. Because they were also the most improved team in 2007, I will be surprised if they don't make the playoffs.

Page scrimmaged with Brentwood Friday August 8th and we competed with them to so I think its gonna be a playoff berth for Page this year and we have worked really this summer during workouts and practice and we have gotten much better.

Are you saying that Page and Spring Hill ain't got no tallent?

Okay in the final year of this region the Mustangs will once again be the heavy favorites to stampede their way through another season. As a matter of fact it is this poster's prediction that DL is the favorite to repeat as state champs in Class 3A. They return Evan Webb, Michael Saggio, and Ben Brewer to the linebacking core alone. Look for last year's starting nose guard, Harrison Daniel, to possibly play the fourth linebacer spot this year. If there's one thing DL has got it is great linebackers and great safeties. Speaking of that I really do not believe there is a better safety in the state right now than Zach Rogers. David Lipscomb can't be as potent offensively as they were last year. They lost Russ Moneypenny, Jeremy Holt, and Kevin Davis. I look for Rogers to become a bigger part of the running game this season. With that in mind a lot of corners in the region are certainly breathing sighs of relief. Caleb Simpson is a very good throwing QB but he will have to become used to throwing the ball to other receivers, such as Kyle Lehning, with Rogers in the backfield now. With Rogers at RB and pretty much all of the key pieces from a championship defense returning look for this DL team to be much more similar to the 2005 team. They are going to shut people down and likely have a back rush for 2,000 yards (like Elrod did in '05).

Now with David Lipscomb as the champs of the region the biggest question is who will be #2???????????? Giles Co. has been that team for the last two years. They return Bo Wallace, Tobias Houston, Cory Houston, and Rico Brown on the offensive side of the football. Marshall Co. was the lone other team outside of DL to win an opening round playoff game last November. They return a dynamic duo in their offensive backfield in Jake Morris & Justin Braden. Page was really hot at the end of last year and in year two under their new staff you have to like their chances. That is especially the case when you see that they return Blake Neel, Taylor Lankford, Houston Bagsby, and Cole Meenach to an offense that could score in bunches at the end of last season. Cheatham Co. returns everyone from the team that really caught fire at the end of last year and overcame an 0-6 start to make the playoffs. Garrett Potts, Joe Rhinehart, Justin Batts, Zack Wilson, Tyler Adkisson, Tyler Anderson, Shawn Montgomery, Levi Wilson, etc. They return all of their linemen, outside of Jerry Henry, who have played each of the past two seasons. Finally you have Creek Wood. The Red Hawks bruising rushing attack will again be difficult to stop this season. Creek Wood returns Caleb Bell and T.E. Stokes. If they find a QB to replace T.J. Dollard then they'll certainly be in the mix.

#2 through #6 in this region is going to be very difficult to call

Spring Hill is going to be better but it will take them time to rebuild under their new coaching staff. The Raiders will be much more like Page was last year in their rebuilding process as opposed to both Giles & Marshall County (who both had the talent all along and won right away with new coaches).

Montgomery Central is a team that is going to really benefit from the "Z-Plan" starting in the fall of 2009. They are a young football team that is building depth and experience. It is very hard for them to compete with the athletes of teams like DL, Marshall, & Giles. When they are placed in a region and get to square off against teams such as Harpeth, Stewart Co., and Waverly Central then I really look for them to challenge to return to the playoffs. They are still another year away.

Are you saying that Page and Spring Hill ain't got no tallent?

No both teams have a wealth of talent but I just don't think either team has the talent of Marshall Co. or Giles Co. THERE ARE SOME ATHLETES AT THOSE 2 SCHOOLS!!!!

Page & Spring Hill are superior in athletes to the schools like Cheatham Co., Creek Wood, & Montgomery Central. That I do believe to be true!!!

No both teams have a wealth of talent but I just don't think either team has the talent of Marshall Co. or Giles Co. THERE ARE SOME ATHLETES AT THOSE 2 SCHOOLS!!!!

Page & Spring Hill are superior in athletes to the schools like Cheatham Co., Creek Wood, & Montgomery Central. That I do believe to be true!!!

Now Catfish...if Page had all those "athletes" then why haven't we beat Cheatham and Creekwood lately. We have "experienced athletes" this year. There has been a big difference between a soph athlete and a sr athlete. Maybe we were outcoached.....we were just young and overmatched some games. But mostly the talent level in my opinion has been about the same at all the schools except for DL, Marshall and Giles. Page finally has a sizable sr class again. Depth is a key.

This year....so far...there is a huge difference....but only time and the grind of the schedule will tell. Like I said...look at this region in Week 5.

You can't say the Patriots took the easy way in scrimmages with 3 5a schools.

Now Catfish...if Page had all those "athletes" then why haven't we beat Cheatham and Creekwood lately. We have "experienced athletes" this year. There has been a big difference between a soph athlete and a sr athlete. Maybe we were outcoached.....we were just young and overmatched some games. But mostly the talent level in my opinion has been about the same at all the schools except for DL, Marshall and Giles. Page finally has a sizable sr class again. Depth is a key.

This year....so far...there is a huge difference....but only time and the grind of the schedule will tell. Like I said...look at this region in Week 5.

You cant take the easy way playing 5a schools.

To answer the next question----physical,smashmouth football.

Creekwood and especially Cheatham county will smack you in the mouth if you let them.

Page will be better this year,just dont let em smack you in da mouth.

I saw the Page game vs Centennial is the Week 1 game on CSS. I will watch, or record, them that night since CCCHS has a BYE that week. I enjoy watching Blake Neel. He is a very good football player.

I can't speak on Creek Wood's behalf but I will say that they are very good. Coach Daniel is an excellent football coach and his players are tough.

As for Cheatham Co. the only thing I can say is that Page has been a game where the Cubs have gotten a few breaks. All of the games have been very good. Outside of the 2005 matchup the game has always been for a playoff spot (for both teams). 2002, 2006, & 2007 were all late season games with a ton of playoff implications at stake.

Hopefully this year we can both already be locked in the playoffs and the game will be less hectic on both sides (I am starting to age from these games too fast) /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is really hard to believe. They return Blake Neel at QB. A very versitile player at RB in Taylor Lankford. They also return a good group of receivers led by Houston Bagsby.

On offense I expect the Page Patriots to be one of the more dynamic teams in Region 5-3A this season /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Houston Bagsby is no longer on the team. Zack Hood is a sophmore and Zack Freeman is a junior battling for the back up spot. The Patriots play against Independece in a scrimmage on Thursday.