Week 0- Rebels @ Toppers

FTBMAN

I heard a rumor Ashlon Adams is in trouble at Science Hill and may be moving to DB. Any truth to this rumor? That would be a huge loss for SH in bball and football and a huge gain for DB. I know this may not relate to the thread, but if SH loses him, they lose their best receiver and will have a ton of trouble with South.

Every summer there is a rumor that Ash will be transferring to another school or quitting football and focusing on basketball. And every summer Ash comes back to the team and suits up and plays. It wouldnt be a good idea for him to transfer going into his senior year because wouldnt transfer rules force him to sit out? If so then he would run out of eligibility. Anyway, Ash is the Toppers best receiver on PAPER. Isaac Kinley is they're best receiver on the FIELD, and he will actually be taking the snaps this season. Losing their best receiver would be a moot point this season because Isaac will be running the ball much more than throwing it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mistake. I was unaware. And ya I heard Kinley is going to be quarterback, I guess this will prove if the theory put your best athlete at QB works or not. I think that may be pretty tough to deal with for opposing defenses.

It is definitely a gamble for sure. Isaac has spent his last two years playing tailback, corner, and kick and punt return. There was a rumor that Coach Overbay will have him playing safety this season in addition to Coach Smith having him at quarterback. In high school, my personal opinion is that having your best athlete at QB is a good move because normally that player will turn roll outs and play actions into gains down field on crucial plays such as 3rd down conversions if he can't find an open receiver. The only thing I would worry about is depth. Who will the Toppers turn to if Isaac got hurt? They can replace him on defense, but his back up quarterbacks will be Daniel Norris, a sophomore who has been hyped and shows some ability but won't have the speed to do the things Isaac does, and Tyler Pritchard, a small but classic drop back guy who has alot of arm strength but not much experience. These two guys will fight to run the show once Isaac leaves after this season, but neither one is ready right now.

South struggled last year when getting hit in the mouth early .

True, on many occasions, the defense spotted alot of pts early on long runs and CP kept us even until 2nd half when defense made adjustments. LAst half of the season, the coaches commented in several games that the defense kept us in the game and won a few with some big hits and turnovers. Alot of new and young players last year on defense and they are "grown up" now, much stronger, much experienced. If we can find 3 solid d-linemen, I expect our defense to be very good---very quick, smart and play with heart. The thing I have seen watching these Seniors and Juniors grow up is----they just simply do not like to lose and they don't like to let each other down.

Pads---less than 2 weeks.

SS 28-SHHS 14, but it could be worse.

I'm new to board, have tried 5 times and always get a error message, /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Core, Comp, and Volman--appears that you are the elders for SS posts-----

Let's talk about Defense. I"ve been watching SS home games for 2 yrs and plan to try to see them all this yr. My son played Col.Hts Optimist for Coach Wade and we attended games with special interest in watching Ty. He and the other soph linebacker, Clint Phillips, were amazing for sophomores--I made the statement, "Was there ever a doubt that Ty, being Coach Wade's son, could tackle?". I believe both were all conference and maybe all-north east TN, is that correct? they were sure fun to watch. What about Collins? Was he LB or DE? I believe he graduated--who will replace him? What about that small, quick LB--Hawaiin or something? IS he back? What about Fletcher? Saw him play some last year but oftern times looked out-of-place----Will he play more this year??

Another topic----Beetle played some DT in '07--he was huge. Has he grown? Will he play def??

Any information on the Linebacking corp will be helpful.

I meant to reply to Mutt but after the fact his post was missing and I thought maybe he deleted it. Now I see it again. It did seem a bit goofy without the context.

I thought you were trying to help me, I've not been on much since last season and I think I forgot how. Wow, it's been a long off season-------------"are you ready for some football, are you ready to party?"

I'm new to board, have tried 5 times and always get a error message, /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Core, Comp, and Volman--appears that you are the elders for SS posts-----

Let's talk about Defense. I"ve been watching SS home games for 2 yrs and plan to try to see them all this yr. My son played Col.Hts Optimist for Coach Wade and we attended games with special interest in watching Ty. He and the other soph linebacker, Clint Phillips, were amazing for sophomores--I made the statement, "Was there ever a doubt that Ty, being Coach Wade's son, could tackle?". I believe both were all conference and maybe all-north east TN, is that correct? they were sure fun to watch. What about Collins? Was he LB or DE? I believe he graduated--who will replace him? What about that small, quick LB--Hawaiin or something? IS he back? What about Fletcher? Saw him play some last year but oftern times looked out-of-place----Will he play more this year??

Another topic----Beetle played some DT in '07--he was huge. Has he grown? Will he play def??

Any information on the Linebacking corp will be helpful.

Answers and comments to your questions---

Ty and Clint--yes All-MLC 1st Team, Ty All NET 1st Team and Clint All-NET 2nd Team.

Collins graduated--looks like T.J. Blanken will step in at OLB/walk-down DE----and will do fine job.

Michael Aserio (sp?) graduated (was amazing for his small size)--Taylor Fletcher will rule at that position.

Taylor Fletcher--out of place?--maybe, but just didn't get the reps necessary to get comfortable.

Will Fletcher play more this yr---no doubt, only question is can he be in shape to carry the RB positon and go both ways at LB---I think so, and there's where Bobby and Shanks come in on Off. ---and then Bobby and Ricky Neeley and maybe Hubbard help on Def----to spell Fletcher.

Beetle (sp?? is that the spelling, or is it Beedle?)---He's massive; I've heard he is very strong. I don't look for him on defense alot, due to the fact that I think the offense will not be as much of a quick score offense compared to last year, meaning he'll be on the field more this year on offense---- stamina will be the challenge--but sure would be nice if he could do it.

If Science Hill can even SLIGHTLY move the ball downfield 3 times, then I give them a very good chance to come out on top. Their kicker, rising senior Brandon McAuley, was 100% on FGs and PATs last season. Granted, Gilligan didn't use him as much as he could've, this is a clutch kid who can consistently hit from 35-40. He won't wow anyone with his strength, but Coach Hazel has taught him well and he does just enough to get the ball between the uprights. Isaac will have to run the offense efficiently, because he is the only Topper who will consistently get up field against the Rebel defense. Armando Canepa and Corey Macpherson will have to provide him with some help offensively though, as Coach Carter will eventually figure out how to limit Isaac's yardage. Science Hill won't outhit anyone, but if the can get on the sidelines and keep the ball outside the hashs, then there is no reason they can't win this game with speed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Sh-24, South-21. McAuley doesn't hit a game winner, but he tacks on 3 before halftime if Coach Smith actually puts him on the field.

If Science Hill can even SLIGHTLY move the ball downfield 3 times, then I give them a very good chance to come out on top. Their kicker, rising senior Brandon McAuley, was 100% on FGs and PATs last season. Granted, Gilligan didn't use him as much as he could've, this is a clutch kid who can consistently hit from 35-40. He won't wow anyone with his strength, but Coach Hazel has taught him well and he does just enough to get the ball between the uprights. Isaac will have to run the offense efficiently, because he is the only Topper who will consistently get up field against the Rebel defense. Armando Canepa and Corey Macpherson will have to provide him with some help offensively though, as Coach Carter will eventually figure out how to limit Isaac's yardage. Science Hill won't outhit anyone, but if the can get on the sidelines and keep the ball outside the hashs, then there is no reason they can't win this game with speed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Sh-24, South-21. McAuley doesn't hit a game winner, but he tacks on 3 before halftime if Coach Smith actually puts him on the field.

Trent and the other backer 54 were the hardest hitting players I saw on the field last year. Now having said that, I thought SHHS was soft as a team. But that is like strength, it can be improved with a committment to do it in practice. I just don't see SHHS beating South, though I hope the Toppers will. If they do beat South, I think that would be a season changing win.