Pitching distance for high school changed to 43 feet?

Best

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your position on it?

High school should pitch from 43'. It is insane to have these girls switch back and forth between 40 and 43 feet. I will take this a step further and say 16U should switch to 43 also. Ihey also should make the cleat issue consistant too. Girls dont need to be switching back and forth between metal and plastic either.

I think the single biggest issue with softball as a whole that its consistantly inconsistant. There are too many different assoiciatons and each one has there own quirky rules. It keeps everybody confussed, parents, players, coaches and officials. As for the pitching distance I agree that 43' for 16U & up is good not only for the girls but the sport as a whole. All this reminds me of when the 12U went from 35' to 40' most everybody thought is was good and adjusted rather quickly. High school is a little different because you can have a pretty good spread in ages especially in the smaller schools. I have talked to several of the teams from out west and for the most part the elite players don't play high school ball for these same reasons. I think the numbers in this area are getting big enough to look at that as an option.

IMO, if they change HS to 43' then they should change 14U to 43' as well. There are too many small schools with FR/SO pitchers that would be swapping back to 40' when they travel/play during the summer.

Freshmen/ Sophomores should be playing at least 16U to be ready for high school ball. I would not be in favor of 14U being at 43.