All-State List

dins8

G, with all due respect, I know you have been on top of this as usual and that you have been swimming upstream in trying to get this job done. I hope, however, that your comments don't mean that you think it is okay to have the list come out in August. I hope that is never going to be viewed as acceptable to the TACA. Good grief, the TSSWA beat you to the finish line by over a month (and still counting). In all of my high school years, going back to the late '90s, I can never remember the list coming out this late. If the coaches don't want to respond promptly, then leave their players out of consideration. Once word gets out why someone was not considered for the list, you can bet the parents and, hopefully the AD's, will see to it that the coaches do their jobs in a responsible manner.

Ideally, I think the All-State lists should be published at or near the time of the state championships. There is no reason, other than negligence by the coaches, that the list has been delayed to this point. This isn't rocket science.

And finally, I hope the TACA isn't basing the All-State selections on a regional quota. There is no way the three Grand Divisions of the state merit equal representation every year. Some years the studs are in the East, some years the West and some years the Middle. Select these teams on overall performance, not as top players for their respective regions. That's what the All-District and All-Region teams are for.

I was looking at old post from last year and it looks as if it came out July 5th last year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G, with all due respect, I know you have been on top of this as usual and that you have been swimming upstream in trying to get this job done. I hope, however, that your comments don't mean that you think it is okay to have the list come out in August. I hope that is never going to be viewed as acceptable to the TACA. Good grief, the TSSWA beat you to the finish line by over a month (and still counting). In all of my high school years, going back to the late '90s, I can never remember the list coming out this late. If the coaches don't want to respond promptly, then leave their players out of consideration. Once word gets out why someone was not considered for the list, you can bet the parents and, hopefully the AD's, will see to it that the coaches do their jobs in a responsible manner.

Ideally, I think the All-State lists should be published at or near the time of the state championships. There is no reason, other than negligence by the coaches, that the list has been delayed to this point. This isn't rocket science.

And finally, I hope the TACA isn't basing the All-State selections on a regional quota. There is no way the three Grand Divisions of the state merit equal representation every year. Some years the studs are in the East, some years the West and some years the Middle. Select these teams on overall performance, not as top players for their respective regions. That's what the All-District and All-Region teams are for.

I'm with you, Hoya. If it makes you feel better, the list was submitted 2 weeks ago. I don't know why it hasn't come out yet (it may be a AAA or Division 2 thing, because I think they have to come out at the same time). I think when you see the list, you will judge it to be fair. I will also say that in the future, it will be done easier and quicker now that we have set up region reps.

ETSU, I wasn't trying to call you out, just wanted to clarify that it is a lot harder than it looks, even when you do have the information back from the coaches. Sorry if I came across as harsh. It wasn't my intent.

And Hoya, there isn't a regional "quota" per se, but also I wanted to get imput from every region and not just the large cities with the schools that just made it to state. I also think that you can't get the list out before state, because I know (for me) this is when I see the most players from across the state in a high intensity atmosphere.

Anyway, as I have said, I will let you all know anything as soon as I know something. It's as frustrating to me as it is for you, because it makes me look like I haven't completed what I was supposed to do. At this point, it is out of my hands.

I'm with you, Hoya. If it makes you feel better, the list was submitted 2 weeks ago. I don't know why it hasn't come out yet (it may be a AAA or Division 2 thing, because I think they have to come out at the same time). I think when you see the list, you will judge it to be fair. I will also say that in the future, it will be done easier and quicker now that we have set up region reps.

ETSU, I wasn't trying to call you out, just wanted to clarify that it is a lot harder than it looks, even when you do have the information back from the coaches. Sorry if I came across as harsh. It wasn't my intent.

And Hoya, there isn't a regional "quota" per se, but also I wanted to get imput from every region and not just the large cities with the schools that just made it to state. I also think that you can't get the list out before state, because I know (for me) this is when I see the most players from across the state in a high intensity atmosphere.

Anyway, as I have said, I will let you all know anything as soon as I know something. It's as frustrating to me as it is for you, because it makes me look like I haven't completed what I was supposed to do. At this point, it is out of my hands.

Haha...Big G, you are too hard on yourself. I don't think ETSU thinks you are calling him out, and I am pretty sure that everyone knows that you are doing your darndest to get the list up. Do you want me to just go ahead and post what the AAA is? I know it, so it must be the AA/A that is holding everything up...those darn AA/A schools.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I always laugh when I picture you at your computer, using the delete button so many times to make sure that you don't offend anyone. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I am quite the opposite...I think I tick too many people off by carelessly typing my mind!

Keep a spot open for me on your schedule...seriously, if you have an opening, work us in. I will be in touch.

Do you want me to just go ahead and post what the AAA is? I know it, so it must be the AA/A that is holding everything up...those darn AA/A schools.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And then there was one...DII must be the culprit. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Haha...Big G, you are too hard on yourself. I don't think ETSU thinks you are calling him out, and I am pretty sure that everyone knows that you are doing your darndest to get the list up. Do you want me to just go ahead and post what the AAA is? I know it, so it must be the AA/A that is holding everything up...those darn AA/A schools.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I always laugh when I picture you at your computer, using the delete button so many times to make sure that you don't offend anyone. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I am quite the opposite...I think I tick too many people off by carelessly typing my mind!

Keep a spot open for me on your schedule...seriously, if you have an opening, work us in. I will be in touch.

Man dins, how did you know my delete button is worn out?!? Yeah, I spend a lot of time on my posts, typing and retyping, but I think you know why!

Give me a P.M. and we'll see if we can work something out with the season. Also, I need to ask you a question.

end of July now it is August the 10th and still nothing I think this is a bit ridiculous (no offense to you G), I mean does any other sport across the state have to wait this long to know who their all state players are? What about the seniors that graduated just does not seem fair that they do not get to accept their awards anywhere near their last highschool soccer season

end of July now it is August the 10th and still nothing I think this is a bit ridiculous (no offense to you G), I mean does any other sport across the state have to wait this long to know who their all state players are? What about the seniors that graduated just does not seem fair that they do not get to accept their awards anywhere near their last highschool soccer season

Again (and this scares me) I agree with you. I have asked several coaches to join me in getting some answers. Hopefully, united, we can get some results.

Again (and this scares me) I agree with you. I have asked several coaches to join me in getting some answers. Hopefully, united, we can get some results.

Perhaps you can clear something up for a newbie to the HS soccer experience. Coaches nominate the players...I got that part, who selects the final roster? Is it the TACA membership, or a group selected to make the choices, what are their credentials, the procedures? When the final roster is determined where is it published? On the TACA site, here, newspapers?

I often hear people discount any "all-anything" that is submitted by the coaches, but how else would it be done?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you can clear something up for a newbie to the HS soccer experience. Coaches nominate the players...I got that part, who selects the final roster? Is it the TACA membership, or a group selected to make the choices, what are their credentials, the procedures? When the final roster is determined where is it published? On the TACA site, here, newspapers?

I often hear people discount any "all-anything" that is submitted by the coaches, but how else would it be done?

Thanks in advance.

Coaches vote for players from their region. They nominate the players they feel should get all state status in order (not just from their team, but they can submit players from their teams): The first name is top choice, second and so on. The lists should include any stats that they have for their players or a short bio. Then when all the coaches submit their lists, the names are tabulated based on the position on the list (usually the top names on the lists are the same, with minor differences in the order). The regional coach reps for TACA submit their list of names to the State division rep (AAA, A/AA and Div 2), who then puts the names in order from each region, then attempt to make the list of 20ish players by using the coaches lists, stats, and research. That list is then submitted to the overall TACA All State rep, and then the final decisions are made. The coaches that work on the lists are usually members of TACA and NSCAA, and have pretty qualified credentials (the one's I know have multiple state championships and coach of the year awards, though that is not a requirement).

Usually the list is submitted to the press and to the area coaches at the same time. As soon as we find out ANYTHING new, I will post a link to it on this thread. It is usually out by this time, so I don't know what is holding it up.

It is a very difficult process to get all of the coaches submissions together, tabulate, re-submit, re-tabulate, call with questions, research local papers and so on. I think it shouldn't be discounted by any means, because the coaches that I worked with put a LOT of thought into their names and choices, and not just nominated their own players selfishly. While no list is perfect, we try to put the most balanced team together that we can. I just hope we can publish it before the next guy's season starts!