South Pittsburg Basketball

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate says that is what has to occur. Total community involvement with the high school program working as a catylist to promote the game. The football program and Coach Grider provide the field for little league and middle school games. It has been a concern thru the years that the extra wear & tear from the non-varsity games causes damage to the field. OP says that has been a small price to pay for the development of the kids in the early stages.

Summer camps and and fall leagues are a must to enhance interest and development. OP says the public schools unlike the privates, sometimes fail to have the off season work and then get their tails handed to them by the privates. Work, work, work and then work them some more is the only way to get good at what you do.

Heck, look at Old Pirate......... rattle a few cages, then rattle a few more and before long you become a good cage rattler. OP practices his cage rattling in the off season just to stay sharp! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

OP you are right, the basketball program can not start in 5/6th grade, it needs to start at the elementary schools. You have to have those that want to work, work, work to get the program started and I don't see that in SP at this time. Maybe the new gym will be an boost to the HS program to get involved but at this time the kids are all about football (as they should be) and then they just make time for basketball. I like Coach Phillips but don't know that he is ready to commit the extra time at the moment. And I can say the same for the other valley schools as well.

The suprise team of the district this year. Whitwell Tigers.

Go Tigers Hear us roar!!!!!!!

OP you are right, the basketball program can not start in 5/6th grade, it needs to start at the elementary schools. You have to have those that want to work, work, work to get the program started and I don't see that in SP at this time. Maybe the new gym will be an boost to the HS program to get involved but at this time the kids are all about football (as they should be) and then they just make time for basketball. I like Coach Phillips but don't know that he is ready to commit the extra time at the moment. And I can say the same for the other valley schools as well.

I would say he had better be ready to commit because the expectations just skyrocketed with the completion of that new gym. There will be major accountability in SP now. Just look at OP, he cares nothing about basketball and he started this thread. Don't know if Thompson would come back to the Valley, I hear he got 12,000 more in jack to go to that school in MS plus no teaching. Phillips needs to decide if this is important. Good guy with good intentions but this is going to be a major task now.

I would say he had better be ready to commit because the expectations just skyrocketed with the completion of that new gym. There will be major accountability in SP now. Just look at OP, he cares nothing about basketball and he started this thread. Don't know if Thompson would come back to the Valley, I hear he got 12,000 more in jack to go to that school in MS plus no teaching. Phillips needs to decide if this is important. Good guy with good intentions but this is going to be a major task now.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean he's not committed to the HS program, which I am sure he is, just not sure about the start/commitment to the lower levels.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean he's not committed to the HS program, which I am sure he is, just not sure about the start/commitment to the lower levels.

Since the lower levels represent the very future of your program I would say it would be a disasterous mistake to forsake the development of the youth program. Do you think Vic Grider cares nothing about this area of his program? He knows everything about it. You don't win if you don't have a solid youth program and he knows that. This job has changed with the building of the new gym...it is no longer a let's play basketball until it is time for spring football sport. This is now a 24/7 neglect your family sport at SP. That new gym has changed everything. Basketball is going to be important there now, not anywhere as big as football, but important just the same.

Old Pirate does care about the basketball program as well has anything related to the development of the kids. OP just follows the football program more closely, like most everyone else in this county.

OP says its time for additional time to be given to the kids that do not play football and the new gym should provide much needed attention to the sport.

Exactly how much time have you volunteered to help your coaches establish a program for the Little Tigers?

Old Pirate does care about the basketball program as well has anything related to the development of the kids. OP just follows the football program more closely, like most everyone else in this county.

OP says its time for additional time to be given to the kids that do not play football and the new gym should provide much needed attention to the sport.

The new gym is going to be much needed addition to the school and will, no doubt, change life as it exists at SPHS. Coach Phillips will do whatever is necessary to take full advantage of the new facility and will have that program moving in the right direction in a short time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but SP consistently finishes 2nd in the District behind a very tough and well coached CSAS. How many teams in the state can make that statement? Sounds to me like the football team's success has really raised the bar for all the other sports at SP.....

From the schedule I saw it looks like Signal Mountain will be in the district for at least one season. It will be interesting to see what they add.

I saw them play this summer at UTC. They will be in 6-A for the first year, then to AA or AAA depending on the numbers. I heard the school was built to hold enough students to be considered AAA.

They will be in the bottom 2 or 3 in the district.

Exactly how much time have you volunteered to help your coaches establish a program for the Little Tigers?

The new gym is going to be much needed addition to the school and will, no doubt, change life as it exists at SPHS. Coach Phillips will do whatever is necessary to take full advantage of the new facility and will have that program moving in the right direction in a short time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but SP consistently finishes 2nd in the District behind a very tough and well coached CSAS. How many teams in the state can make that statement? Sounds to me like the football team's success has really raised the bar for all the other sports at SP.....

The proof will be in the pudding. Let's see where the ledger stands a year in March. This could be a state tournament type .