How much is to much ?

Beastin

I think how much is to much varies by the individual wrestler and also the methods they use to lose the weight. Some wrestlers have 20lbs to lose, some don't have 2lbs. Some may drop 10lbs over a month, others, before the new rules regarding weight, would drop 10lbs in a couple days.

In my situation I wrestled from 8th grade untill I was a sophmore in college. First couple years no real weight loss, I was a natural lightweight. Come 10th grade I had to do severe cutting to get where I wanted to be at 112. Using all the improper methods I could find. Always feeling bad on match days. 11th grade I cut to 112 a few times but have to stay at 119, because dropping to 112 was a burden to my health. Senior year was my first year under the new rules regarding hydration and body fat. I was deemed unable to go 119 and had to go 125. It was the first year I didn't feel like crap during the week. I was able to eat food and drink the day before matches. At this point though I could no longer physically gain weight like a normal person my age would. Freshman year of college I'm 125 and cutting again. Tear out my shoulder and doctors suggest the weight loss played a major factor. Something about elasticity and tendons. Sophmore year I return, again at 125 and re injure the shoulder. Its at that point I called it quits. But now I want to gain weight, but I cannot do it. I eat all that I want and more but it took 2 years to add 6 lbs. Between Sr year in high school and now senior year in college I've gained a whole 10lbs. My metabolism is high and I don't feel hungry if I eat just one meal a day while on a long fishing trip. Something about my weight cutting has effected my current state. I intend to add 10 lbs this year somehow but it is no longer easy. At the age of 22 I should be able to add some weight.

So in my experience cutting weight the wrong way will have repercussions on your health in the future. The other 125, 133 and 141 on the college team have similar situations now.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic