selecting a travel team

rtmac

Looking for a little advice and opinions from parents who have "been there before." Our daughter is only 9(u10), and a nice player. We're trying to choose between 2 travel clubs in our area. The one she played with last year is definitely a weaker overall club. The other choice however is on the other side of town. Just wondereing if at this age others have found its is still too young to worry about her being in the stronger program. I'm sure she'll eventually switch over.Is it important she gets established with the club she'll probably end up with eventually.

Thanks

Looking for a little advice and opinions from parents who have "been there before." Our daughter is only 9(u10), and a nice player. We're trying to choose between 2 travel clubs in our area. The one she played with last year is definitely a weaker overall club. The other choice however is on the other side of town. Just wondereing if at this age others have found its is still too young to worry about her being in the stronger program. I'm sure she'll eventually switch over.Is it important she gets established with the club she'll probably end up with eventually.

Thanks

Just to let you know, there is a separate forum available for Women's Travel Teams...

Just to be nosey, what city are you referring to, that may make it easier to tell you if it is worth it...

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Yes there is another place to discuss competitive but since the question was asked in this forum I thought I would answer it here.

WOW, that’s a really big question?

First of all does a U10 really need to be playing competitive soccer, or will recreational league suffice? But you can only answer that question by first defining your child’s objectives oh but wait she is only 10. So as parents we are left with answering the question, is it a smart investment of time and money?

At U10 what is competitive soccer really, is it a glorified babysitter or is your child really being taught something that will serve them well in life? Let’s face it there is no career in women’s soccer, yes I know that the WSL is starting again, yes I know there are many college scholarships (only partial that is most schools have less than 8 to give to 20 players).

Here’s what I have learned. I do not believe it is necessary for a u10 boy or girl to play competitive soccer, it is a much better investment to start there educational fund with the 5 to 10 K you will be spending on expenses; travel, lodging, meals, coaches fees, club fees, SAQ sessions, medical expenses, that’s knees and ankles, and the list goes on.

I do know that at some point when the child clearly has objectives that competitive soccer is a wonderful thing, I have grown much closer to my daughters over the years of travel and tears of disappointment. I would not exchange my relationships with them for any amount of money that I have spent in soccer.

We started competitive at u12, I would have waited until u13 which in Tennessee is when they actually progress to 11 v 11 and the “GAME” of soccer is actually taught. One daughter has stopped playing and the other plays at the highest levels in Tennessee, it is her passion, and as a parent my role is to give her the opportunity to do purse it. My fellow soccer moms and dads who have been involved since u9 tell me that I was wise, and saved up to 35K. I don’t think I was wise, my daughters had other sport passions which we could not do them all, so recreational soccer, softball, basketball and volleyball were enough, not to mention school, homework, church, and just plain goofing off as kids like to do.

My advice, stay at the one that saves your sanity, and if she really loves it she will keep her foot on the ball in her free time and will excel when she is given the opportunity.

Thanks

Rtmac having gone through what your going through not only as a parent but as a coach at that age group. I think your asking a quesition that many new parents to club soccer ask. So, let me ask your question this way, At u-10 what is important to your child's soccer career or what does MY child need to learn at u-10. The answner I would give to that are 2 things.

1) Skills with the ball.

2) And "Most importantly" A love for the game, HAVING FUN.

There will be time in her young career to search for those winning teams. But if she does'nt get a good foundation of skills and having fun than all her hard work will be lost to burn out at a later date. Winning and losing is not everything at u-10.

Relax, enjoy watching your daughter having fun whether the team wins or loses.

The previous posts have been really great answers. And hats off to you for asking what all parents should ask...and hear. I only have a couple of things to add. As a parent, IMO, you have to expose and guide your child. They need to be exposed to a lot of different sports, music, social settings etc. Then you may see a special talent, enjoyment, or need in which you can now nuture. The younger children again IMO don't need to get 'stuck' in one sport, but it is hard to balance the development of skills at the expense of versatility. That's why I think 'seasons' are important at a young age. I also think that picking a good coach at each sport, or teacher of any kind for that matter, makes a huge impact later on in the childs development and choice of activities. So in respect to soccer, and I'm biased, go with the best coaches. If you are in the Knoxville area, that is the goal of FC Alliance; that is to hire the best coaches, and therefore develop the best out of each player. Then in general you tend to draw the best players. Also, don't worry about the 'cross-town' thing if you think that is the best situation, coach, etc.

Based on what I have heard a number of parents say, there is no age that is too young. If you plan to play, er, I mean if your daughter plans to play in high school and college, which is the ultimate goal, she HAS to play with the best team. best meaning most expensive. There is no dollar amount that that is too high for this goal.

The only way to get her to a college team is through coming off the wallet. NOW.

Anybody who suggests that you could take a fraction of that money and invest in some skills training and a camp or two, or that she should enjoy playing, has lost sight of the ultimate goal.

Sarcasm aside...

IMHO, there are several questions to ask:

Is she really an A-level player or do you just want her to be?

Does she work on her own? Does she drag you to the field or the back yard? If not, do not pass go.

Is money an issue?

Research both teams talking to current and past players. Find out the turnover rate. Be willing to ask and hear the hard Q&As.

Are they teams that are constantly looking for the next good player? If so, your daughter could go from starter to bench in an afternoon and you still pay.

Playing on such a team, if she is good, there is a very good chance she will learn to view the game on individualistic rewards basis and not a team-wins basis.

Do they have better players at your daughter's position? Either way, item above comes into play.

Go watch some practices. There are good practice coaches, good game coaches, good teachers and coaches who believe their reputation and therefore value is based solely on wins. These guys generally simply put together all-stars teams and roll the ball out there. They don't care who is on the roster. Rare is the coach who is good at teaching individual skills and team skills, building a team and winning with the girls he has over time. (You may be happy being a mercenary family, willing to move each year to the best team around. Many do.)

Understand that starting her in serious travel ball early means there is a chance she will experience a lot of things early, removing the thrill of doing them when they really matter, i.e. her mid to late high school years. She will have seen every hotel, swimming pool, amusement park, nice complex, tournament final, etc. by the time she is 14 and might wonder "where is the thrill?" She can only have so many "the most important game of your life" experiences.

How many kids are on the roster? It is hard to keep 18 mommies, I mean players, happy.

Is your daughter willing to miss birthday parties with non-soccer friends? They add up and can make Mondays at school tough.

Seriously, is money an issue. Many dollars have been spent on hotels chasing that mythical college scholy when simply investing the same amount would have bought a very nice education.

If you want your daughter to be the best player she can be, go to a club that is committed to and capable of good skills training for the younger players as opposed to over emphasis on rankings, excessive travel, winning / losing. If the kids get a good base of skills (e.g. excellent touch with a ball), success will come in the U12 and beyond age groups.