The Mighty Pirates

I am a Marion fan, or Jasper for some of you Pirate supporters and I was wondering with all of the talk surrounding the Mighty Pirates being 'THE BEST EVER' team that they have had, have their been any scrimmages out there scheduled against Maryville or Alcoa?? I distinctly remember last year at the clinic bowl that there were many delusional fans saying that they could compete with those two programs . I know that it cant happen in real games this year, because of all of the cupcake region games in 1A, but maybe next year when realignment happens the pirates can schedule the likes of Alcoa and some bigger schools. Like I said, I am a warrior fan, but I am also a realist that knows for us to compete with yall the stars have to be aligned and us play good and yall play bad, but Boyd will also be a thrashing and Tyner is the only somewhat of a game that yall will have on your schedule. Maybe yall can play up a classification next year so you can be in the playoffs against Alcoa, which also chooses to play up out of the 1A class. Maybe they are avoiding yall, you think?

First of all the Pirates owned you guys ebtire region. Second they do have a cupcake schedule in 1A but you all play Whitwell (cupcake) Taft (marshmellow) Grundy 3A but terrible and Cannon County. Now if you ask me i'd say that schedule is the same if not worse than the PIrates. So maybe yall should come to 1A and they move up to 2A and i would guarantee South Pitt would not struggle one bit. Marion on the other hand wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs because the likes of TC Friendship G-Ville and Watertown. So please don't rag on a team that is smaller but better than most teams in your classification. I almost forgot it will be an absolute massacre AUg. 29th South Pitt by 34 or more it all depends on Coach Griders mood.

First of all the Pirates owned you guys ebtire region. Second they do have a cupcake schedule in 1A but you all play Whitwell (cupcake) Taft (marshmellow) Grundy 3A but terrible and Cannon County. Now if you ask me i'd say that schedule is the same if not worse than the PIrates. So maybe yall should come to 1A and they move up to 2A and i would guarantee South Pitt would not struggle one bit. Marion on the other hand wouldn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs because the likes of TC Friendship G-Ville and Watertown. So please don't rag on a team that is smaller but better than most teams in your classification. I almost forgot it will be an absolute massacre AUg. 29th South Pitt by 34 or more it all depends on Coach Griders mood.

I didn't say that we were great though. As good as yall say you are, you should be playing the big boys, not cupcakes like we do. I already stated that you couldn't help it this year, but you could see how you stack up in scrimmages. I would just like to come see those type of games. As far as our region.........none of our region makes it very far in the playoffs. Yall did struggle with tyner last year, so to say that yall wouldn't struggle is a lie. Alcoa is a different animal all together!! I have already said that SP would beat marion, you didn't have to repeat what I said. Not ragging SP at all, just stating the truth, and I support the pirates in all but one week. I do think that SP is special. Tons of athletes, speed makes coaches great, everyone knows that. I wont look through rose colored glasses, as Old Pirate says though, and think like most pirate fans do and say that they could compete with the likes of Alcoa and Maryville. That is laughable at best. Maybe, just maybe alcoa every so often. My breakdown goes like this:

The pirates can beat 1A schools 99 percent of the time.

The pirates probably can beat 85% of 2A teams 8 out of 10 times

3A, the pirates can probably beat 65 percent of the teams regularly maybe a little higher.

In 4A and 5A the teams that the pirates can beat are drastically fewer, maybe 30%.

Saying all of this is no disrespect to the pirates, but if they are that good and are going to win the state from here on out, ramp up that schedule next year like Marion did in the mid nineties and play some bigger schools. That is how you will get the respect statewide, and Lord knows yall have the horses to do it!!!

They have roughly 250 students in 9-12 so it would be a big jump to move up a class. Right now they could compete for the region title in 2A but there have been a couple of years this decade where they dropped off a lot. SP is limited in their non-region schedule since they have to play David Brainerd, etc, in the region. I agree, right now they could probably compete with most of the larger schools but it doesn't happen too often. Marion upgraded to Soddy-Daisy and a couple more in 1995, it worked out well that season but look what happened the next year and Colquette was still in charge so his successor can't be blamed for it. Even in 1990 when they won the state they lost to an average (for AAA) McCallie team and a team from Alabama just ran them off the field. I think you'd see similar results for SP, some seasons, some games, they could do okay, but they probably couldn't on a year by year basis.

I am a Marion fan, or Jasper for some of you Pirate supporters and I was wondering with all of the talk surrounding the Mighty Pirates being 'THE BEST EVER' team that they have had, have their been any scrimmages out there scheduled against Maryville or Alcoa?? I distinctly remember last year at the clinic bowl that there were many delusional fans saying that they could compete with those two programs /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . I know that it cant happen in real games this year, because of all of the cupcake region games in 1A, but maybe next year when realignment happens the pirates can schedule the likes of Alcoa and some bigger schools. Like I said, I am a warrior fan, but I am also a realist that knows for us to compete with yall the stars have to be aligned and us play good and yall play bad, but Boyd will also be a thrashing and Tyner is the only somewhat of a game that yall will have on your schedule. Maybe yall can play up a classification next year so you can be in the playoffs against Alcoa, which also chooses to play up out of the 1A class. Maybe they are avoiding yall, you think?

Old Pirate says The Mighty Pirate Nation is greatful for your kind comments TP. But you are obviously confused with stating Alcoa chooses to play up. The fact is they have to play in 2A with 421 students and the limit for 1A @ 361. OP says the Pirates played Alcoa before they grew into a bigger classification.

Now.... all SP folks know the Pirates would much rather play more competitive programs and rest your weary heart OP is confident they'll upgrade at the first opportunity. The fact that some programs attempt to put SP down for various reasons, mostly because of jealousy. OP says..during the SVC days, SP played every team and the only one smaller was Bridgeport, Ala. OP always respected the tigers for they played with heart and pride.

Now OP doesn't know the total number of SVC Championships the Pirate were able to garner, but OP is rather sure the Pirates won more than all the other schools combined. Maybe some history buff with less scars than OP can provide the exact number. Point is this..........SP will play bigger teams as they have thru the years.

The Jasper folks should not worry too much about SP and figure out how to produce more home grown studs.

SP is currently riding a crest of talent and it appears strong for several more years with the youngons showing real promise. OP can't help but wonder if the jasper folks see what is down the road for the warriors in the next 5-6 years? It won't.......................... be pretty unless................ somehow they can get some outsiders into the flock.

2008 will be the warriors best shot for several years, better enjoy the success you'll have for it'll get worse long before its gets better. OP says now................. don't blame it on the coaches. The breeders will be to blame.

Old Pirate says Jasper has 502 students according to web site and 51% are boys which equals to 256. This translates to more than SP has total for boys & girls. Now that's amazes OP, 256 boys and having trouble with producing studs. Man some people need to stop doing what their doing and do something different, for it's not working.

• 1 year later...