osunut2

As a Powell fan, I remember exactly what a lot of fans were saying about Powell's chances against Maryville both in 2004 and 2005. The Panthers had solid teams both years (Bruhin brothers, Lee Smith, Baron Huber, Cody Watts), Maryville was supposedly 'down,' but the Rebels wouldn't have any of it (neither game was close, with the exception of the 2004 playoff game). For Halls, this seems very reminiscent to those two Powell-Maryville match-ups. I don't know how anyone can pick against the Rebels, until they actually lose. I think it's safe to say that you can never definitively say that Maryville is down, and although Halls will be more experienced and an improved team (plus, it is the season opener), I think it's obvious that there is still a big gap between #1 and #2 in region 3 once again. With all of these people talking about an upset, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryville won by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Keep in mind, Maryville hasn't struggled in an opener since they lost to Alcoa in the 2000 opener, 14-7. Maryville should have a pretty good memory of last year's game, so I don't expect an upset. I'd love to see a great game though!

Announcements