Good ole days

CoachBruce

This one is for some of the older guys on here that actually got to see these Eras.....

What's Different about today's wrestling as opposed to 20-30 years ago? as in...how is the technique and general "size" of the kids different.....how is the sportsmanship different....the coaching.....you get the Idea.

one thing I'm looking for is whether or not you think the Average team from today....(think Kenwood or maybe Knox halls, Cookeville.....that caliber) could beat the average team from yesteryear.

I AM NOT (repeat:NOT) interested in anything to do with Public/private, simply because I graduated in 97, thus wrestling my Whole Career under the Old system, and from then to now.....well, with a few Notable kids that are exceptions, I don't see THAT much of a difference in only 5 years time.

so, Old-timers, Talk to us. tell us about the Good Old days.....

[Edited by HBK19 on 8/1/02 4:10A]

There is a lot of difference! I have had many discussions on this matter. The 60's, 70's were a little tougher as individuals. Let me explain, Kids were more challenged in those days. They challenged themselves more physically every day. They did not stay home and sit at the computer or watch a lot of TV because there were only 3 channels for them to watch.

Instead, they stayed on the go more. This does not include the exceptions, because there will always be those. I am just speaking as a whole.

Todays Wrestlers have the benefit of much better technique, more polished and more thought put into how and why it works. Coaching is MUCH, MUCH better! There are more Wrestling Coaches out there now, not just a Football Assistant to fill a job spot. Coaches are much better educated about the science of the sport in regards to the physical aspect as well as nutrition. Kids are more dedicated and hungry with massive long range goals.

PARENTS are more of a probem now, because they are over protective and take everything where their kid is involved PERSONAL! They interfer way to much, many try to influence this or that in favor of their child.

The WORST is at the elementary level. They should ban parents from even being in the gym. Let the kids wrestle and hold up both hands and send them on their way.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.