Hillsboro vs Overton

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The line is undersized, but they are not the problem. I think depth on the O-line could be a problem though.

The truth is that Hillsboro doesn't have a large number of great players. Many on the team are not real football players. They are reaping the benefits of being on the team by doing whatever they can during practice and supporting their teammates during games.

Aydelott didn't try to develop his depth anymore than Blade does. If you weren't able to contribute, Aydelott didn't play you. Blade does things similarly in that regard, but Blade does try to start 22 different players in order to keep players fresher. Then, he will play players on both sides if it is necessary.

Such is the situation for HHS football right now. Many sophomores are playing/starting because there isn't a bunch of unknown talent on the sidelines. The cupboard is not full. However, this team can still accomplish great things this season if they play TOGETHER and buy into what they are trying to do.

I take offense at the remark that the kids on the team are not real football players and are just reaping the benefits of being on the team doing whatever. These are kids with dreams and aspirations just like the more talented players. They are there to learn, get better, and hopefully play. Anyone who has ever played football or any other sport knows that teams are made up of mostly players who aren't great. It takes everyone to win, not just stars. These kids run the same drills, do the same conditioning and work year around in the weight room. How dare you discrdit them with your uniformed, ridiculous comment. Maybe they should all quit and let the 16 guys Blade plays play 8 on 8 in practice?

I take offense at the remark that the kids on the team are not real football players and are just reaping the benefits of being on the team doing whatever. These are kids with dreams and aspirations just like the more talented players. They are there to learn, get better, and hopefully play. Anyone who has ever played football or any other sport knows that teams are made up of mostly players who aren't great. It takes everyone to win, not just stars. These kids run the same drills, do the same conditioning and work year around in the weight room. How dare you discrdit them with your uniformed, ridiculous comment. Maybe they should all quit and let the 16 guys Blade plays play 8 on 8 in practice?

I wasn't discrediting anyone with that statement. I was in that very position once upon a time. Don't misunderstand me, they are EARNING the benefits they are reaping of being on the team. I never said they weren't. They are just as IMPORTANT as the 16 or so guys who are going to play the most. VALUE TO THE TEAM SHOULD NOT BE BASED SOLEY ON TALENT OR PLAYING TIME!

That being said, the vast majority of the team are not quality/"real" (whatever word fits the best) football players yet and many likely never will be. No, I don't think that is a reason for them to quit. I never played a single down on the varsity at HHS. Are you contributing to the team in some capacity? That is where value is determined. Whether you play every down of every game, or if you simply go to practice every day, do what is asked of you, and give everything you have.

However, I stand behind my original statement: the cupboard is not full. HHS football isn't full of unknown talent roaming the sideline during games. Now, there very well may be POTENTIAL talent that has yet to materialize through practice.

I apologize if I offended you with my remarks as that was certainly not my intent.

Depth may be a problem but I have seen several different people play up front and it seems like they are trying to play the best kids.

I have no doubt that is the case!

Just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't a better player. some of the kids play and get their butts kicked because dad is a booster...talent doesn't always determine playing time. I

The kids that don't play give their heart and soul just like hte ones that do..and some of them are better.

I'm at every game..cheering for both those who play and those who don't...and I never name names or call out individual players. I don't like your comment and hope I am not sitting behind you if you say it at a game.

I would just like to say that you don't have to name names, but don't give so many clues that it is obvious who you are referring to either because then you might as well name names.

I know of the player of which you speak and that is NOT the reason why he plays. However, yes he does get beat repeatedly and yes his dad is a booster, but that is not why he plays. The coaches have tried to find replacements, but the other part of your statement "Just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't a better player" above just IS NOT TRUE!

The best players will play. The coaches aren't going to play a kid ahead of someone unless they are more talented and/or know their assignments better than the other guys at their position. That wouldn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have a kid who is more talented and another kid at the same position who knows his assignments better. Who do you play? I'll take the kid who isn't as talented, but knows his assignments better. Afterall, like you said, "talent doesn't always determine playing time."

I would just like to say that you don't have to name names, but don't give so many clues that it is obvious who you are referring to either because then you might as well name names.

I know of the player of which you speak and that is NOT the reason why he plays. However, yes he does get beat repeatedly and yes his dad is a booster, but that is not why he plays. The coaches have tried to find replacements, but the other part of your statement "Just because a kid doesn't play doesn't mean he isn't a better player" above just IS NOT TRUE!

The best players will play. The coaches aren't going to play a kid ahead of someone unless they are more talented and/or know their assignments better than the other guys at their position. That wouldn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have a kid who is more talented and another kid at the same position who knows his assignments better. Who do you play? I'll take the kid who isn't as talented, but knows his assignments better. Afterall, like you said, "talent doesn't always determine playing time."

umm whats all this ruckus?

and who is this kids ... so we can run an iso on him all night!!

Stratford will beat them tonite because Stratford his a passing game out this world and they have 2 dynamic WRs in Teandre Fisher and Deangelo Buchanon. So Eric Gordon cant cover both of them and i haven't never heard of the other DBs so they must be that slaw. Stratford had two weeks to prepare for these guys and Stratford will win a close one 28-21 on national television.

If Blade has a policy of starting 22 and many others play on special teams were did the number 16 come from? This is not the case!

i think he meant who plays the most - just because they start doesn't mean they stay in - Gordon plays both ways, as well as both offensive tackles and the little receiver that used to play for ensworth - and the cornerback #24 - I think that is where the number 16 comes from.

No need to be mad, just the way it is.

i think he meant who plays the most - just because they start doesn't mean they stay in - Gordon plays both ways, as well as both offensive tackles and the little receiver that used to play for ensworth - and the cornerback #24 - I think that is where the number 16 comes from.

No need to be mad, just the way it is.

#24 & #3 are the only two way starters and they are seniors who rotate on offense

I have no idea who belongs to who and couldn't/wouldn't name names if I wanted to...but that being said, I played HS and college ball and know how things really work. I would like to see kids developed...this is high school ball. There is deeper talent on this team then the coaches recognize. Try other kdis in a game situation...see how they react. And why did the coaches not at least let some of the other kids play some in the Jamboree. It was a meaningless game. This is not the NFL.

I am not nealry offended enough to not support the kids on this team. I admire and respect their hard work

Next year maybe they need to only sell enough Burro tickets to buy 16-20 uniforms.

#24 & #3 are the only two way starters and they are seniors who rotate on offense

My understanding is that DeAndre Davis is only starting both ways because of Alex Crutcher's nagging ankle injury. Also, while Gordon does play both ways much of some games, technically, he does not start on offense. Therefore, right now the only two way starter is Davis at CB and RB. However, it is very true that practically everyone plays both sides of the ball at one point or another. Unfortunately, such is the life of the vast majortiy of High School football programs across the country.

I have no idea who belongs to who and couldn't/wouldn't name names if I wanted to...but that being said, I played HS and college ball and know how things really work. I would like to see kids developed...this is high school ball. There is deeper talent on this team then the coaches recognize. Try other kdis in a game situation...see how they react. And why did the coaches not at least let some of the other kids play some in the Jamboree. It was a meaningless game. This is not the NFL.

I am not nealry offended enough to not support the kids on this team. I admire and respect their hard work

Next year maybe they need to only sell enough Burro tickets to buy 16-20 uniforms.

Did you go to the Jamboree this year? None of those 16 or so players that you are referring to played a down because the coaches do recognize the need to let players get into game situations and develop their potential. I don't even think they dressed out for the Jamboree. They just wore their jersies and supported their teammates.

If you see obvious talent that is not being recognized by the coaches, then perhaps you should talk to the coaches and offer your services. They want to play the best players and be successful. They don't have some hidden agenda or anything to only play players that give them political gain. The coaches do put their reputations on the line with their teams. If Scott Blade was interested in that sort of thing, I highly doubt that he would be coaching at HHS.