Chattanooga area rankings

chasanooga

DonCChatt...I completely agree with you. I was just not sure who the other team in District 6, besides ND, you were talking about. I know CCS's record is very good but it is hard to know if how good they are yet. It seems the heart of their schedule is starting last week. A very good Soddy Daisy team beat them handily. More good tests for CCS are upcoming with ND, Ravenwood and Baylor. I was just curious if they are the 2nd strong team in District 6 this year or someone else. I also agree that while Silverdale's record is great for a pretty new team...to take it to the next level they need to schedule traditionally strong teams to challenge them and help them grow. Like you said tournaments are an excellent way to do this along with mixing in a couple of Chattanooga powers.

For the last 3 years, ND and CCS have emerged out of District 6 A/AA. On the other side of the region, it's been Grace all 3 years, and Sweetwater (05 & 06) or Boyd Buchanan (in 07). While upsets can and do happen, right now you would expect Silverdale and perhaps McMinn Central, though somebody (like Grace) could pull an upset.

At the region level, only once in the last 3 years has a district 5 team survived their regional semi-final game against distict 6 (Sweetwater knocked off CCS in 2006). If this were to happen this year, it would be a BIG upset.

Having said that, you have to be impressed with Silverdale's quick climb with their girl's soccer program. Their 2-0 win over Hixson is probably the best win so far this season. You may be right that they may be a force in A/AA in the coming years, but to do so, they will need to increase the level of competition, trading some of their wins against weaker teams in for some quality opponents (even if they first get killed). Good possible opponents for next year might be Ooltewah, Signal Mountain, Cleveland, or even an ND or CCS, plus going to a tournament or two (CCS is a good local tournament with a variety of teams represented).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DonCChatt...I completely agree with you. I was just not sure who the other team in District 6, besides ND, you were talking about. I know CCS's record is very good but it is hard to know if how good they are yet. It seems the heart of their schedule is starting last week. A very good Soddy Daisy team beat them handily. More good tests for CCS are upcoming with ND, Ravenwood and Baylor. I was just curious if they are the 2nd strong team in District 6 this year or someone else.

A big question mark for CCS currently is their leading scorer (I think) Logan M., who broke her wrist early in the Soddy Daisy game. She is out several weeks at least, and may be out for the rest of the season. With her, I think they are strong enough to make it through districts, regionals, and sectional. Without her, I'm not sure. It depends probably a lot on whether the remaining players can come together and say "we can still win these games" or not. I agree with you that the ND, Baylor and Ravenwood games will clearly show whether or not they can still advance.

I think what Silverdale has done this season, in only it's second year, is awsome. Continue to build on it. I would not necessarily agree with your assessments on some of the specific teams mentioned as being year-in, year-out good programs (as far as girl's soccer goes). Some of them certainly are, and some have been not-so-good for many, many years now. I agree with you that any schools can have down years, and you have no way of knowing when you set the schedule. Continue to seek out good teams to play, get involved in some high school tournaments, and be willing to go on the road to find those teams to play.

It will be interesting to see how the A/AA in Chattanooga looks after the TSSAA reclassification. Another thread had ND and CCS being put into different districts. We'll have to see....

don't want to change the subject but one girl from Silverdale scored five goals against Sequatchie. After three, the coach should either take her out or move her back. Sounds like they want her to stay on top of the Chattanooga scoring.

On topic... we will see how they do against nd and ccs in the region tournament. They could surprise some people.

It is just great what Siverdale has done in such a short time. But I too would have to take issue with the teams you mentioned as being good year in and year out. While they made have had a good year before in soccer they are not thought of in Chattanooga soccer as tough competition. No disrespect but that is just how it is. I do think that if you would schedule one or two of the traditional soccer powers that you mentioned that would help to legitimize the program. A good soccer tournament would help also. But it is great what Silverdale has done this year in soccer.

I agree you must schedule good competition to improve as a team. You'll find out quickly what kind of a team you have. Silverdale scheduled some tough competition based on year-in, year-out good programs such as Red Bank, Hixson, CSAS, Grace, Boyd Buchanan, etc. Some of these teams may be down some this year but that's no fault of those in charge of scheduling. I think that teams like Baylor, Notre Dame, GPS and CCS among others should be on the schedule for next year. They might not win as many games but who knows - they have everybody back, no seniors on the team. They will certainly improve and "legitimize" their program in the eyes of those around the city. This is only the second year of the program.

I agree you must schedule good competition to improve as a team. You'll find out quickly what kind of a team you have. Silverdale scheduled some tough competition based on year-in, year-out good programs such as Red Bank, Hixson, CSAS, Grace, Boyd Buchanan, etc. Some of these teams may be down some this year but that's no fault of those in charge of scheduling. I think that teams like Baylor, Notre Dame, GPS and CCS among others should be on the schedule for next year. They might not win as many games but who knows - they have everybody back, no seniors on the team. They will certainly improve and "legitimize" their program in the eyes of those around the city. This is only the second year of the program.

First Lisa or David WELCOME to coacht and the boards. It will be nice to have a Silverdale Representative and look forward to your future posts. Second BigRed and DonC are 100% correct to get better will mean... to place tougher teams on your schedule for next year, but....That's easy for them to say, NO OFFENSE BOYS, Baylor and ND both reload every year with some of the best club players in Chattanooga and are ALWAYS state contenders and no there's nothing wrong with that and I do not hold any malice towards your programs, it's a fact. Sometimes I don't think they realize that other schools go through feast and famine years. Which makes it very hard for a coach to schedule a competitive schedule. For example, A team that is 0 and forever could schedule every ranked team in the state and still not get any better. Schedule teams that will challenge your girls. Now next year should be a feast year for you guys so schedule all the ranked teams you can, would be my advice.

Hindsight being 20/20. I wished our coach had done a little more of that this year. Because there have been games that quite frankly the bench played as much as the starters. But that's our dirty laundry /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and enough said.

Now I know I'm going to get grief over this post, but not every team should play the hardest teams in the state, because NO TEAM learns anything by playing the best and getting beat 10-0 or more!!

I saw Red Bank's record after a loss the other day, I think to Ooltewah, as 0-2-1, why do they have so few games.

As far as Sequatchie getting beaten badly, I really don't have a problem with that as they knew what they'd be in for at the start with a first-year team, some never even playing before. I do think the stats of Silverdale and maybe others are inflated if they make multiple goals against Sequatchie or a similar team, when a Baylor likely wouldn't play such beginning competition. But that happens in all sports, a girl from Lookout Valley scored 27 a game in basketball last winter.

I saw Red Bank's record after a loss the other day, I think to Ooltewah, as 0-2-1, why do they have so few games.

As far as Sequatchie getting beaten badly, I really don't have a problem with that as they knew what they'd be in for at the start with a first-year team, some never even playing before. I do think the stats of Silverdale and maybe others are inflated if they make multiple goals against Sequatchie or a similar team, when a Baylor likely wouldn't play such beginning competition. But that happens in all sports, a girl from Lookout Valley scored 27 a game in basketball last winter.

Indian some teams do not keep their schedule or scores up to date /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" try Eurosport.

http://www.eurosportscoreboard.com/findhighschooltn08/

MVM, you won't get grief from me. I agree with so much of what you said. I was just responding because I thought they were trying to find a way in the future to help them be given more respect in the Chattanooga soccer community. I do not mean they don't have respect...because they do. To do what they have done in a short time is great. But I thought they were trying to find a way to move up in the rankings and gain "that type" of respect. You are right that Baylor and ND do reload and continually stay at the top. I was not saying it because it is easy to say....I was just trying to give an outsiders opinion that if they want to take it to the next step to schedule one or two top area teams to beef up the schedule.

A point that I do agree with you on is this. You mentioned you wish your team had scheduled a tougher schedule this year to challenge the team and maybe keep boredom down. It is not fun to have the ability to run up a score and use everyone on the bench. Last year the Baylor boy's soccer team could not get enough teams to schedule them and the coach's had a hard time filling the schedule. We had to schedule a couple of North GA teams that just don't put priority on soccer that we do. One of the teams is coached by a Baylor graduate and it was agreed before the game that we would only score so many goals and play everyone, JV, etc. This happened a couple of times. While we did not run the score up and did not humiliate the other teams.....our guys were bored, played almost O time and you get the picture. Sounds like a similar situation to yours.

There is not a great answer for any of this. I hope I did not seem to make it sound easy....because I know it isn't. I just thought they want in the future a way to maybe get noticed more in Chattanooga. And I still feel if that is the case....you have to throw in a couple of annual Chattanooga powers. Again, congratulations to Silverdale for a very impressive 2nd year in soccer.

First Lisa or David WELCOME to coacht and the boards. It will be nice to have a Silverdale Representative and look forward to your future posts. Second BigRed and DonC are 100% correct to get better will mean... to place tougher teams on your schedule for next year, but....That's easy for them to say, NO OFFENSE BOYS, Baylor and ND both reload every year with some of the best club players in Chattanooga and are ALWAYS state contenders and no there's nothing wrong with that and I do not hold any malice towards your programs, it's a fact. Sometimes I don't think they realize that other schools go through feast and famine years. Which makes it very hard for a coach to schedule a competitive schedule. For example, A team that is 0 and forever could schedule every ranked team in the state and still not get any better. Schedule teams that will challenge your girls. Now next year should be a feast year for you guys so schedule all the ranked teams you can, would be my advice.

Hindsight being 20/20. I wished our coach had done a little more of that this year. Because there have been games that quite frankly the bench played as much as the starters. But that's our dirty laundry /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and enough said.

Now I know I'm going to get grief over this post, but not every team should play the hardest teams in the state, because NO TEAM learns anything by playing the best and getting beat 10-0 or more!!

Big red thanks for not dishing the greif..great post and response. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> But, Your post brought up a different kind of issue. Which new program did it right. Signal Mtn....Who played the tough schedule and are 4-8-1 and got waxed by ND with a 10 spot or Silverdale 11-1-1 going into next season feeling good about their new program. Neither team has any seniors so which team did it right?