portland football

seymourbutts1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that it is a combination of all things mentioned here.

1. stepping up to 4a was huge. playing better teams with better athletes.

2. the talent pool is depleted (there haven't been any gerald turner's, chase brooks, matt taylor's, or tim hodges coming through the program the last few years).

3. and as much as i hate to say it, because i really like bever and curry, it appears to me that the coaching staff haven't transformed the boys into better players.

btw, i hear they are going to name the field after edgar johnson tonight. imo, way overdue.

people like you make me laugh its always coaching. the coaches dont throw the ball the coaches dont catch it they cant do it for them. Yes the talant is wasy down its been down for a long time everybody needs to wake up and realize were not in 3a no more

ok so we arent deal with it. but we cant throw in the towel just because we have moved up. do you want us to give up. portland football is about winning which made us a powerhouse. people WERE scared to play us. the talent is there, well was half the players quit. any word why they quit?

... Their are no more jackson countys Dekalb co, cannon co, those are just a few 3a teams to mention that used to be the scheduale...

We've rarely had only teams 'in class' on our schedule, regularly played and won our share againt Springfield, Clarksville teams. In fact we've usually had more trouble with the smaller schools (Hartsville, Carthage, ...) than the bigger ones. Now moving up did bring a full schedule of bigger schools, but the drop off is more than just moving up (because we were competitive with the 4A schools before being moved up). We should not have dropped any lower than middle of the pack in the worst year.

We've rarely had only teams 'in class' on our schedule, regularly played and won our share againt Springfield, Clarksville teams. In fact we've usually had more trouble with the smaller schools (Hartsville, Carthage, ...) than the bigger ones. Now moving up did bring a full schedule of bigger schools, but the drop off is more than just moving up (because we were competitive with the 4A schools before being moved up). We should not have dropped any lower than middle of the pack in the worst year.

Who did we play that was in 4a when we were in 3a im just curious besides white house for the 4 years that they were in it. It was nobody. The fact is the 4a level is alot tougher region than the 3a level

Who did we play that was in 4a when we were in 3a im just curious besides white house for the 4 years that they were in it. It was ...

Clarksville Northwest, Northeast, Springfield, Beech - several of the same ones we now can't beat, IIRC. Weren't 'regulars', but showed up on the schedule.

Generally speaking not disputing the other (deleted) point, but it's tangential to the point I was making.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

what has happened to portland football. 1994-2000 we went to three state championship games and won one. we rarely lost more than two to three games a season. we have the talent to play and win our region this year, but for some reason we cant get over the hump. white house was very good but we shoud have beaten northwest and greenbrier easily. they have the players and the talent to win seven games this year and make a splash. who is to blame?

I guess it is the same thing that happened to our baseball, basketball, soccer, chess team. Not to long ago we had almost the same respect in baseball as we did in football. Who do you think is to blame?