When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

That very well may be in some places but don't generalize and say everyone operates in that manner. I know many who use open gyms to help evaluate both returning players and potential players.

In regards to middle school students, only 8th graders enrolled in a TMSSAA member school may participate

You are correct and I apologize. I will just say that it is accepted as "what you have to do if you want to play" in our community. The middle school players are not all 8th graders and the middle school is not a member of the TMSSAA. They will not be playing in games I am sure - just practicing with the team. As for where I am from - I have to live in this town, so can't really say. My kids don't play, but many of their friends do, so we wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct and I apologize. I will just say that it is accepted as "what you have to do if you want to play" in our community. The middle school players are not all 8th graders and the middle school is not a member of the TMSSAA. They will not be playing in games I am sure - just practicing with the team. As for where I am from - I have to live in this town, so can't really say. My kids don't play, but many of their friends do, so we wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Understandable. Sorry to come across as confrontational. Of course, you know your situation better than I ever could.

Oh come on a coach can do whatever he/she wants as long as they don't get caught.

Ways to get caught:

Be a Historically good school and do something that resembles a rule infraction so another coach will turn you in.

Make a the wrong parent upset and thy will turn you in!

Look in the direction of a junior high kid that is not zoned for your school and people think you're recruiting

Just be a moron and do whatever you want. (TSSAA frowns on this, they don't like being embarassed.

Ways to be safe:

Be a historically bad program and practice when you want, because your not gonna win anyway. Who cares right?

Follow the,stupid, TSSAA rules!

Sorry I hate the rules the TSSAA has put on basketball. Kids must play and build skills. I am all for some mandatory time off but not most of the summer. 2 weeks after the season then, He open the gym doors let the ones come in that wanna work. During the summer make 2 more weeks mandatory. Then, open the frikin doors, When school starts make the first week off. Then let them shoot run and lift. A good coach can build a team and but if you tie his hands and the kids can't come work then that's where the trouble starts. I think this affects the boy's more than girls because of multi-sports. I also, know there are some nutjob coaches out there that don't have a life and try to keep a kid in the gym and then if they don't show up they kick them off. 10-15 hrs of regular practice pre-season, as long as it's quality, is enough. Off-season should go up to maybe 20-25 hrs. of individual skill work. This is enough time to get a good player better, an ok player good, a bad player ok. The off season is where kids learn to shot and handle and play D. Not alot can be done in-season, or the nice times the TSSAA gives the teams.