Bearden vs. Halls

Knoxville21

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K..21 :

- That depends if Young has any speed/ cut back ability. Our (Halls) DE's are taught to "pursue to the ball", thus many times when a runner cuts back or runs a reverse we give up TD's. Not our DE's fault, we just don't have anyone in our scheme to "stay at home".

- If he has speed and can cut back, we are in for a long night. West's first TD came on that type of play, started right, looked like a five yard loss, cut back and scored. Our backside end (Right End on Defense) cut behind the LB's to the other side, and was actually next to our left CB when the running back cut back. No one in the picture for an easy TD.

- The Halls/West score was closer than the actual game. Halls had a 99 yard Kickoff return. West took control of the game right out of the gate.

K..21

- That depends if Young has any speed/ cut back ability. Our (Halls) DE's are taught to "pursue to the ball", thus many times when a runner cuts back or runs a reverse we give up TD's. Not our DE's fault, we just don't have anyone in our scheme to "stay at home". If he has speed and can cut back, we are in for a long night. West's first TD came on that type of play,

I read in the paper saturday where that Young kid had like 250 yards rushing on 9 carries or something in the first half against Karns, so I'd imagine he has some speed/cut back ability!

Young has plenty of speed and cut back ability. He is a great RB. He is the focal point of the offense for Bearden as he should be. Bearden sets him up so that he can use his talent and running style to its fullest. Halls has a similar RB in #6. Anyone who saw the Bearden/Halls freshmen game last year saw a phenominal game that highlighted these two. In the Halls system, #6 has the ability to only run to one side of the offense.(primarily) As you may gather, I am not the biggest fan of the Wing-T with every type of RB. I hope Halls will do similar things with him and the other RBs that they did with #12 last year. The occasional I-formation play might be beneficial for all of the Halls RBs IMO.

It takes a full defensive team effort to hem Young in, but it is possible. However, the Halls defense (the whole team for that matter) is hard to predict. They could hold Young to modest yardage and they could easily give up over 200 yards. I expect the latter after this last game. I think Halls needs to find some kind of missing fire before they can turn this season into a success. There best game thus far has been the Maryville game. They came ready to play. The rest of the games have been a little half-hearted IMO. I don't know if it is coaching, senior leadership or team chemistry. Halls is going to have to come together and play every game like life is depending on the outcome. The only thing stopping Halls is Halls. Either way, I am behind them to the end.

Ok I'm finally getting away from my bad mood over the weekend, after a double whammy of the West/Halls & Florida/Tn games not going my way.

Halls defense is much better than Karns. Young is very talented but I would suggest cutting about 170 yards off last weeks preformance. Non district matchup Bearden killed us last year and we looked nervous on offense then. Look for a more controlled offense with Halls still running the ball as their mainstay but you have to think it's now time to mix in a little width in the offense so the defenses will start to play honest. If we can find Gresham or Bright this week at least on a couple of occasions we will be hard to beat, if not then this will be a dogfight and expect another close game which you can roll the dice on. Bearden although very young has a very good team this would be a quality victory for us if we could pull it off. Losing 23-24 seniors isn't easy but they have had some quality kids to fill the shoes of these graduates. We should have the experience factor on our side I hope it will be the difference this week. Not giving a score because I was way off the mark last week.

Halls will give 100% to the very end but it's now beginning to get into crunch time for this year.

Alright let's begin the debate. I figure Bearden's defense can limit Halls' ground attack. While Halls will not have an answer for Devrin Young.

Thoughts?

Young is going to be the key. No one has stopped him yet...and i dont think Halls has a better defense than Farragut or Kingsport DB....I think Young has at least 150yards....and if you kick the ball to him....expect yards to pile up in the return game.....Its hard for team to prepare for Young because you really cant emulate his ability with a scout team back...so when you see the real thing in a game..he is at another gear than most RBs teams face...

bearden by at least 2 tds....

Bearden did lose a lot of seniors last year, but, after five games, they are growing up and getting better each game. Halls, after reading these threads, seems to be frustrated and not playing to their potential. The Dogs are tough at their home field, so, I'll take the Dogs by two TDs. Can anyone from Bearden tell me how the QB situation is progressing?

Bearden did lose a lot of seniors last year, but, after five games, they are growing up and getting better each game. Halls, after reading these threads, seems to be frustrated and not playing to their potential. The Dogs are tough at their home field, so, I'll take the Dogs by two TDs. Can anyone from Bearden tell me how the QB situation is progressing?

He played well last week. He hit open receivers...

Ryan Potter has shown good senior leadership in games against Carter, West, and Karns. He did struggle against DB and Farragut (5 int), but I think he was trying to do too much by himself. Bearden has multiple weapons on offense. TE/WR Adam Robertson, WR David Tull, WR Will Campbell, FB Tanner Fine, HB Brandon Sapp, Peyton Landers and of course the incomparable sophomore Devrin Young. Their defense is anchored by Fine, Forrest Young, Dillon Wilker, Sapp, Young, Drew Williamson. This Bearden team plays a ton of sophomores because of a mass graduation, but also because they are so talented of a class.

1180 ESPN has named Devrin Bearden's player of the game three out of five weeks and it could have been more. He is a special talent and anyone that has witnessed his skills is always impressed. The impressed include opposing coaches, Knox News Sentinel reporters (Mike Strange, Mike Griffith, Nick Gates) and Farragut Press reporters Tom Mattingly.

This should be a good game, but I give the advantage to Bearden.