Ensworth-MBA Battle of the Unbeatens

Final Score: Ensworth 41 MBA 28

Hats off to Ensworth. They played very well, especially running the ball. They passed well enough when they needed to: not pretty, but completions nonetheless. Weaknesses that others have mentioned about MBA were exploited to the hilt.

MBA gave up too many big plays and had too many bad penalties (bad penalties, not bad calls: the game was well officiated). The slow start they had against JPII and Ravenwood came home to haunt them very badly.

MBA had at least one lineman on crutches; I don't think Ensworth had an injuries.

The bottom line (if you're an MBA fan) is that they played hard, but not especially well. A lot of what they didn't do well was down to Ensworth. It'll be very telling how MBA responds.

Again, congrats to Ensworth on a very well played game.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Ensworth!!! I said it early this year that they may be able to make it happen. MBA had no answer for #10 and #3.

Agreed; Jefferson and Darkwa combined for nearly 500 rushing yards; if both of them aren't being pursued by a lot of major colleges, something's wrong somewhere.

The bottom line (if you're an MBA fan) is that they played hard, but not especially well. A lot of what they didn't do well was down to Ensworth. It'll be very telling how MBA responds.

Again, congrats to Ensworth on a very well played game.

actually, ensworth had several people out on injuries i believe. i know daniel mcfadden and rodney anderson definitely werent playing. i think there are some other boys out but im not positive on that. i just know that there are about 6 guys on crutches or in boots at ensworth right now.

but yes, it was a VERY good game, tough for both teams, im sure.

The play of Tavarres and Orleans was impressive, but what was more impressive was the play of the Ensworth O-line. Coach Caudill has instilled the same disciplined play that was seen at MBA for years.

MBA has lost 3 defensive line starters to injury since the season began. However, I expected the MBA to dominate in the trenches. Instead, they were outplayed by a group that one would expect would not match up with them physicially. Players like Tavarres and Orleans are going to make some plays in the course of a game--no one can completely stop players like that forever, but it seemed that Ensworth could get 5 yards any time they wanted to.

MBA will have to find a way to correct their line play if they hope to avoid a similar outcome against BA.

actually, ensworth had several people out on injuries i believe. i know daniel mcfadden and rodney anderson definitely werent playing. i think there are some other boys out but im not positive on that. i just know that there are about 6 guys on crutches or in boots at ensworth right now.

I think he meant the MBA lineman went down during the game. I know EHS had at least 3 guys out with ACLs and MBA was missing some guys as well.

Congrats to the Tigers. I hope MBA gets another shot at them.

It looks like Ensworth may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. I think both Jefferson and Darkwa are both BCS conference D1 bound. (I would love to see them go up against the two team tandum over at Henry Co). They make or break that team and that is the bottom line.

I think MBA's QB is one of the better in the state. He along with the rest of his team put up a good fight but came up short at the end to the duo of Jefferson and Darkwa over at Ensworth. MBA will still make a run for the state title, but Ensworth is the team to beat now.

I was talking about injuries during the game tonight.

It looks like Ensworth may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. I think both Jefferson and Darkwa are both BCS conference D1 bound. (I would love to see them go up against the two team tandum over at Henry Co). They make or break that team and that is the bottom line.

I think MBA's QB is one of the better in the state. He along with the rest of his team put up a good fight but came up short at the end to the duo of Jefferson and Darkwa over at Ensworth. MBA will still make a run for the state title, but Ensworth is the team to beat now.

No one yet has really been able to stop Teague and Allen. if they do stop one, there's always the other...plus there's McFerren as well. i've yet to see a single player tackle allen on their own. he usually just drags them into the endzone or slams them one handed into the turf. last year he had 5 or 6 maplewood defenders on him and was still standing after forward progress was finished. i don't have the up-to-date stats yet, but i believe all three are averaging close to 20 yds/carry. we've also seen the rise of 3 decent receivers as of late. but on the flipside, we've not really seen much competition (we were up 48-0 before halftime and started sub'ing in the 2nd qtr tonite against JCM). we were supposed to this coming week, but brighton's qb was injured tonight (broken collarbone) and that will hamper our first look at a passing team.

only time will tell how good they truly are.

Officially,

Ensworth

Orleans Darkwa: 28 carries, 348 yds, 2 TD

Tavarres Jefferson: 20 carries, 174 yds, 4 TD, 6-8 passing, 116 yds

Jacob Carter: 3 rec, 80 yds

Michael Dunn: 2 rec, 26 yds

Matt Reed: 1 rec, 10 yds

522 RUSHING YARDS

116 PASSING YARDS

TOTAL: 638 YARDS

MBA

Spencer Wise: 4 carries, 27 yds, 20-31-1, 302 yds 4 TD

Tanner: 11 rec, 169 yds, 2 TD

80 RUSHING YARDS

302 PASSING YARDS

TOTAL: 382 Yards

Notes: Orleans' two TDs came off runs of 99 yds and 80 yds.

I was very impressed with Spencer Wise. Great scrambler. Throws well on run.

However, What do you say about 522 yards on the ground? 638 yards of offense?

Great game - great atmosphere.