GPS vs Baylor

ndsoccer88

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta mention Josie Rix - She played an outstanding game and lead her teammates by example to keep fighting. The Baylor girls played well.... not the best game ever, but consistently solid, with class. A shout out should go to Sydney Parks for her game.... she laid it all out there tonight and created some wonderful opportunties ..... A few questionable calls on behalf of the yellow team on the field.....hand balls to gain advantage and some poor decisions that could have been costly for either team. The issuing of a yellow card at the end of the game was a result of his inability to keep the teams focused on soccer. I personally think it was out of frustration that the GPS defensive player kindof lost her cool.... like I said, it was near the end of the game and she was without the covering of Rix since coach B sent Josie up to try and create an attack after Baylor scored.....good coaching tactic, just didn't work this time. Got to hand it to GPS, we expected to hand them worse of a loss tonight.... way to play girls!

For the record, Chattanoogan.com named the lone goal scorer incorrectly - should be McKensie Thomas.....a very talented freshman who played well tonight.

Fans were out in numbers though....mostly loud McCallie boys !

Expected a great low scoring game and that is what we got. Baylor had tons of opportunities and just could not finish. Partly due to their goalie and partly because we just could not finish....but a great effort by GPS to keep it close. Baylor did not have their best game....but even on a somewhat off night they still get it done. Big win because it puts the Red in control of homefield advantage. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I had to catch this big rivalry game. Both teams played well. Baylor had the higher caliber touches, but the high-defensive pressure strategy fielded by GPS kept the game very even throughout. The GPS keeper, a freshman converted from forward last year was superb. She has a great future in soccer. Likewise, the Baylor freshman forward (I was given the name McKenzie Thomas - not Stokes) was on her game all night and was composed enough to exploit the one defensive breakdown within the GPS box.

It was a physical but cleanly played game. I think GPS found Baylor's Achilles heel by dropping back and defending against their formidable offense. They needed more quality possessions and deliveries from the mid-field after the defense cleared to mount a true attack. I got the sense that if they had a few more minutes, they might have capitalized to tie the game. Well played by both teams.

I would also like to commend the players, coaches and fans for keeping this rivalry an amicable and respectful one. I witnessed players and parents from both sides hug, toss friendly barbs, and congratulate each other. Emotional rivalries such as this tend to escalate and bring out the worst in everyone. Congratulations to all on a classy game on and off the field.

Very good write up on chattanoogan.com about the game. Very good game between two classy teams. We are proud of the 1-0 score as it could have been worse. Our defense did a great job as Baylor keep the pressure on with alot of shots. I understand the young lady that scored is a freshman and our goalie is a freshman....so that could they will be players for the future of this rivarly. Exciting game as always between these two rivals.

Bruisermom,

I hope you become a regular poster. I am not sure I have seen/noticed a GPS poster (this year).

Welcome to the boards!

You sumed it up great. Their are players and families on both teams that are great friends and it is tough to play each other because everyone wants to win....but in the end it stays classy.

I had to catch this big rivalry game. Both teams played well. Baylor had the higher caliber touches, but the high-defensive pressure strategy fielded by GPS kept the game very even throughout. The GPS keeper, a freshman converted from forward last year was superb. She has a great future in soccer. Likewise, the Baylor freshman forward (I was given the name McKenzie Thomas - not Stokes) was on her game all night and was composed enough to exploit the one defensive breakdown within the GPS box.

It was a physical but cleanly played game. I think GPS found Baylor's Achilles heel by dropping back and defending against their formidable offense. They needed more quality possessions and deliveries from the mid-field after the defense cleared to mount a true attack. I got the sense that if they had a few more minutes, they might have capitalized to tie the game. Well played by both teams.

I would also like to commend the players, coaches and fans for keeping this rivalry an amicable and respectful one. I witnessed players and parents from both sides hug, toss friendly barbs, and congratulate each other. Emotional rivalries such as this tend to escalate and bring out the worst in everyone. Congratulations to all on a classy game on and off the field.

Congratulations to Baylor on a great win over your rival. I was very impressed with your players and parents when they played Riverdale. Good luck in the postseason!

You sumed it up great. Their are players and families on both teams that are great friends and it is tough to play each other because everyone wants to win....but in the end it stays classy.

Glad I was able to see the game. The Baylor freshman scored the only goal needed in the 2nd half on a great, unassisted goal. The Red Raiders made it alittle more exciting than I would have liked by not finishing on many chances. But a great game. These two could meet again in postseason....but at Baylor next time.

Expected a great low scoring game and that is what we got. Baylor had tons of opportunities and just could not finish. Partly due to their goalie and partly because we just could not finish....but a great effort by GPS to keep it close. Baylor did not have their best game....but even on a somewhat off night they still get it done. Big win because it puts the Red in control of homefield advantage. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I certainly expected a larger margin of victory for Baylor...How wet was the field ? Did that influence the game and help equalize it more ?

Due to the excellent field, field condition was not a factor. The rain had paused before the game, and the ball was not skipping and footing was good.

I think the result is not a surprise. Despite Baylor's talent, they are not a high scoring team as evidenced by the scores of their other games. Baylor always plays defensive ball. Even while possessing the ball much of the first half, they had four defenders and a holding midfielder playing back against 1 or 2 GPS forwards. GPS always plays good defense and their new Goal Keeper was superb. While the GPS Keeper made many saves in the first half, only one was a dangerous strike from short range. Baylor was also unable to capitalize on it's many corner kicks.

It was a good fair game of defensive teams. Not always the most entertaining type play, but the end result is what really matters, not the score differential. However, it does make Baylor more susceptible to an upset along the way, or to the crap shoot chances of a game decided by PKs in the playoffs due to a low scoring tie in regulation.