Some numbers to chew on

silverpie

If Division II were maintaining exactly its schools list from last season, then you would have a total of 345 schools in Division I. The cutoff between A and AA would be at 501/510, with Jackson County, Douglass, Tellico Plains, Riverside, Loretto, and Donelson Christian the bottom of AA and Westwood, Boyd-Buchanan, Cascade, and Marion County the top of A. The AA/AAA cutoff would be at 1025, and bad news for softball teams in AA--you get to keep Gibbs, which is followed by Maplewood, Mitchell, Stone Memorial, and Fairley at the top of AA; the smallest AAA would be Carter, Whites Creek, Dyersburg, Chattanooga Central, and Memphis East.

However, it is my understanding that five current D1 schools have declared they will switch. Moving those five (USJ, JCS, DCA, FRA, and ZCA) out of the list, the A/AA cutoff remains the same. However, the AA/AAA cutoff moves by two positions, dropping Carter and Whites Creek into AA. (As for football cutoffs, AAA-L would have Morristown East as smallest, while Henry County would top AAA-S; in AA, I haven't checked the listings precisely (as there are some non-football schools in AA), but the bubble appears to be around Pigeon Forge.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The football cutoff in Class A depends on whether the four MSFC schools in Division I choose to stay out or move to TSSAA competition. If they play TSSAA, then the three schools tied at 382 enrollment (Huntingdon, Wayne County, and Whitwell) go in the large group; if not, they go in the small.

In AA, there are either three or four non-football schools--Collegedale Academy, Martin Luther King, Hume-Fogg, and maybe Chattanooga Christian (currently playing a JV schedule). CCS's decision doesn't matter, though--the cut falls between Pigeon Forge small and East Lit large.

In AAA, Henry County just makes the cutoff as a small school, and Morristown East just misses.

And as for the effect on Division II: If they apply the D1 cutoff (with multiplier) to the un-multiplied D2 enrollments, then you get a small class of 29 schools and a large class of only 12! Granted, a few would play up... On the other hand, if you apply the cutoff on the basis that only a school that would be single-A in Division I should be D2A, that cut is almost as lopsided the other way, 28 large and 13 small.

And as for the effect on Division II: If they apply the D1 cutoff (with multiplier) to the un-multiplied D2 enrollments, then you get a small class of 29 schools and a large class of only 12! Granted, a few would play up... On the other hand, if you apply the cutoff on the basis that only a school that would be single-A in Division I should be D2A, that cut is almost as lopsided the other way, 28 large and 13 small.

It was my understanding that the multiplied Private numbers were to be used to establish the A/AA break (also to be applied to D2 large/small), followed by classification of Privates into D2 using the unmultiplied enrollment. Then, D1 remaining schools would be split using these numbers, leaving some Bubble Public classifications dependent on how many Privates made the Jump.

If it turns out to be the second scenario you mentioned above, then some of the Privates making the jump were told they would be in Small and will not. It is my understanding that one of the reasons some of the Privates did not jump before was the uncertainty of where they would be in D2. The goal this time was to let them know before the decision which has obviously made a difference.

It was my understanding that the multiplied Private numbers were to be used to establish the A/AA break (also to be applied to D2 large/small), followed by classification of Privates into D2 using the unmultiplied enrollment. Then, D1 remaining schools would be split using these numbers, leaving some Bubble Public classifications dependent on how many Privates made the Jump.

If it turns out to be the second scenario you mentioned above, then some of the Privates making the jump were told they would be in Small and will not. It is my understanding that one of the reasons some of the Privates did not jump before was the uncertainty of where they would be in D2. The goal this time was to let them know before the decision which has obviously made a difference.

That makes sense, except that I think the only line drawn that considers which privates jumped is the football line within each class. When I get home, I'll run it that way.

The TSSAA voted at its June 10 Board of Control meeting that the enrollment break line for A and AA will be the same in Division II as it is in D-I. Its Item 40 E. in the minutes of the June 10, 2008 TSSAA Board of Control posted on the TSSAA website. Whatever the break enrollment number turns out to be for D-I is going to be the enrollment number that determines the break between A and AA in D-II. The current break number between A and AA in D-I is 461/462. I believe that most feel that it will be higher than that based on the 2008 enrollment figures. Enrollments are not multiplied by 1.8 in D-II for purposes of determining classification. If you check the articles and other comments that appeared at the time of the Board of Control meeting, it is clear that the reason there was a push to have the A/AA break number the same for D-II as it is in D-I, which has not been the case in the past, was so that schools could easily determine what classification they would be in D-II in deciding whether or not to make the jump. So, those small privates that have already announced that they are going to move to D-II have either crunched the numbers or spoken with the TSSAA to satisfy themselves that the break line between A and AA for D-I is going to be high enough to assure them of being in the small school classification in D-II. I don't see any of those schools electing to move up to the large school classification in D-II like BGA and Ensworth have.

That makes sense, except that I think the only line drawn that considers which privates jumped is the football line within each class. When I get home, I'll run it that way.

That may be the case for many, yet in our case (USJ), I am pretty sure we would fall AA, playing in the lower level, 3a, or whatever you want to call it (they need to use another letter other than "A"). Having to play ALL district teams in 3a/4a, then splitting at playoff time coupled with the "re-districting" under the Z-plan left us playing teams quite a bit larger than us.

That being said, and now that they are competing this year with a fairly young team, I am sure the "second-guessing" has begun. All in all, in the long run, I think it was the right decision to make yet my opinion wouldn't have mattered anyway. As a tuitiion paying parent, we were given NO opportunity to input.

Again, it turns out that drawing the lines with D2 schools multiplied before declarations are made (which I don't see as likely, because if it were the case, you could announce the classes now), the A/AA line still doesn't move off 511. It moves the AA/AAA line slightly, though, with Gibbs, Carter, and Whites Creek moving up to AAA, and Henry County and maybe Walker Valley pushed up to AAA-L football.