Predicting a full split in 2012

Macnarry

I don't see it happening any time soon. I used to think it would...but not anymore.

I'm in the same boat.

The DII privates still get matchups with publics, and local publics in some cases. That would not be possible if DII schools formed their own organization. They can still fill the gaps with out-of-state schools in the current environment.

The idea of a regional/national "superconference" used to sound attractive, but I doubt there would be much buy-in from enough other OOS schools.

It's just too cost prohibitive - even for privates - to form their own organization, and it potentially would dilute the schedules (not in quality but in number of games), which in turn dilutes gates and interest, and only would increase travel.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat.

The DII privates still get matchups with publics, and local publics in some cases. That would not be possible if DII schools formed their own organization. They can still fill the gaps with out-of-state schools in the current environment.

The idea of a regional/national "superconference" used to sound attractive, but I doubt there would be much buy-in from enough other OOS schools.

It's just too cost prohibitive - even for privates - to form their own organization, and it potentially would dilute the schedules (not in quality but in number of games), which in turn dilutes gates and interest, and only would increase travel.

I agree...it just wouldn't be worth the cost to most schools.