Central @ Powell

IEatFootball

I didn't see that this thread already existed...

This game worries me. Central is definitely better than their 3-4 record. They lost to 3 excellent teams with a combined record of 21-1 (Maryville, Farragut, Cookeville), plus a "good" 2-6 Halls squad. They don't really have a marquee win, although Whites Creek actually has a decent team this year. Central is still in the hunt for a playoff spot. A win here would give them a big boost.

Powell can likely wrap up a playoff spot with a win here. Kier Houston was bottled up in the second half against Halls, but he had another excellent game, for the third Friday in a row. This is also senior night for the Panthers, which could give them a lift as well. The Panthers have done an excellent job minimizing turnovers and penalties the last few weeks. That, combined with Kier Houston's momentum, should be just enough for the Panthers.

My Prediction:

Powell 27 - Central 24

I didn't see that this thread already existed...

This game worries me. Central is definitely better than their 3-4 record. They lost to 3 excellent teams with a combined record of 21-1 (Maryville, Farragut, Cookeville), plus a "good" 2-6 Halls squad. They don't really have a marquee win, although Whites Creek actually has a decent team this year. Central is still in the hunt for a playoff spot. A win here would give them a big boost.

Powell can likely wrap up a playoff spot with a win here. Kier Houston was bottled up in the second half against Halls, but he had another excellent game, for the third Friday in a row. This is also senior night for the Panthers, which could give them a lift as well. The Panthers have done an excellent job minimizing turnovers and penalties the last few weeks. That, combined with Kier Houston's momentum, should be just enough for the Panthers.

My Prediction:

Powell 27 - Central 24

Not trying to nitpick with you here, but given that Powell hasn't attempted a field goal all year, and they have only attempted to kick one extra point this season, how are they going to get to the 27 point figure?

Just wondering. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And I can certainly assure everybody who reads this thread - Powell isn't overlooking Central. Central is way too talented and they have had the upper hand in this series for too long for anybody at Powell to over look them.

Not trying to nitpick with you here, but given that Powell hasn't attempted a field goal all year, and they have only attempted to kick one extra point this season, how are they going to get to the 27 point figure?

Just wondering. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And I can certainly assure everybody who reads this thread - Powell isn't overlooking Central. Central is way too talented and they have had the upper hand in this series for too long for anybody at Powell to over look them.

I did my math incorrectly. I was guessing that they would convert 2 of their 4 two-point conversions, which would make it 28-24, instead of 27-24. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed about Powell's lack of having a kicker. On that last drive against Halls, I was really worried that they would end up in the red zone, and be forced with a decision to either kick the game-winning field goal, or try to find the end zone. Fortunately, they didn't have to make that difficult decision. I think a lot of teams would have gone for the TD on the last play of the game, inside the 1-yard line.

I did my math incorrectly. I was guessing that they would convert 2 of their 4 two-point conversions, which would make it 28-24, instead of 27-24. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed about Powell's lack of having a kicker. On that last drive against Halls, I was really worried that they would end up in the red zone, and be forced with a decision to either kick the game-winning field goal, or try to find the end zone. Fortunately, they didn't have to make that difficult decision. I think a lot of teams would have gone for the TD on the last play of the game, inside the 1-yard line.

Yep. I think the thought about the kicking game, or lack there of, went through a lot of Panther fans minds once the drive got inside the 30 on Friday. We are all hoping that it doesn't come down to that on down the road, knocking on wood as I type.

The good news is that there is a freshman kicker who showing some potential. I don't think he is quite ready for Friday nights yet, but he is coming along well in freshmen and JV games.

Final score, 50-21. Great performance by Powell! After Central returned the opening kickoff for a TD, Powell dominated. Central had 2 first downs in the entire first half. Kier Houston had another sharp game, and the offensive line completely dominated Central up front. Big game versus West next week!

Final score, 50-21. Great performance by Powell! After Central returned the opening kickoff for a TD, Powell dominated. Central had 2 first downs in the entire first half. Kier Houston had another sharp game, and the offensive line completely dominated Central up front. Big game versus West next week!

wow! powell has really come together these last few weeks. they are getting much better as the season goes on.