Division II Playoffs

3yardsandacloudofdust

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the TSSAA website, BA is the #3 seed in E/M, and BGA is the #4 Seed, because both ended up 4-2 in the region, and BA beat BGA head-to-head. Apparently, their "Playoff Possibilities" were in error.

You're right! Here are this morning's brackets:

http://www.tssaa.org/2008Champions/StateFo...DII/Bracket.htm

Wow. That is huge. I was trying to figure out how BGA could move ahead since both had 2 losses and BA won the head-to-head, but I thought the TSSAA had some hidden rule to give it to BGA (or, more likely, take it from BA).

The TSSAA website had BA listed as #4 as late as midnight but now they are listed as the #3.

Despite the brackets having BA at #3, the TSSAA site also continues to say that they should be the #4:

http://www.tssaa.org/2008Champions/StateFo...lities.htm#DIIA

"If Ensworth wins and Brentwood Academy loses, Ensworth is first, MBA is second, BGA is third, Brentwood Academy is fourth, and McCallie is fifth."

Thanks for the clear insight into the playoffs, TSSAA. Heads should roll over this!

If BA is #3, the road to the Boro just got much tougher for EHS. They now likely have to beat McCallie, BA, and either MUS or MBA to win it all:

5. McCallie @ 1. EHS

4. BGA @ 1. MUS

3. CBHS @ 2. MBA

3. BA @ 2. BCS

ROUND 2:

EHS-McCallie winner vs BA-BCS winner

BGA-MUS winner vs MBA-CBHS winner

You're right! Here are this morning's brackets:

http://www.tssaa.org/2008Champions/StateFo...DII/Bracket.htm

Wow. That is huge. I was trying to figure out how BGA could move ahead since both had 2 losses and BA won the head-to-head, but I thought the TSSAA had some hidden rule to give it to BGA (or, more likely, take it from BA).

The TSSAA website had BA listed as #4 as late as midnight but now they are listed as the #3.

Despite the brackets having BA at #3, the TSSAA site also continues to say that they should be the #4:

http://www.tssaa.org/2008Champions/StateFo...lities.htm#DIIA

"If Ensworth wins and Brentwood Academy loses, Ensworth is first, MBA is second, BGA is third, Brentwood Academy is fourth, and McCallie is fifth."

Thanks for the clear insight into the playoffs, TSSAA. Heads should roll over this!

If BA is #3, the road to the Boro just got much tougher for EHS. They now likely have to beat McCallie, BA, and either MUS or MBA to win it all:

5. McCallie @ 1. EHS

4. BGA @ 1. MUS

3. CBHS @ 2. MBA

3. BA @ 2. BCS

ROUND 2:

EHS-McCallie winner vs BA-BCS winner

BGA-MUS winner vs MBA-CBHS winner

I wonder if BA knew that last night's game did not affect their playoff position.

Revised Round 1 Matchups and Predictions:

McCallie and EHS went to OT earlier in the year. (at McCallie, at EHS this time) I'll give the edge to EHS for home field advantage, but watch for McCallie to rebound after a loss to MBA.

BA beat BGA 28-6 and BGA beat Briarcrest 35-21. BCS also lost to MUS 48-7. BA finished 6-4 including a 26-0 loss to nationally-ranked Prattville (AL). Their 3 losses to TN teams were by a combined 11 points. Edge to BA

CBHS and MBA have no common opponents. MBA's only loss was to undefeated Ensworth. CBHS lost 3 games by a combined 19 pts including a 21-14 home loss to MUS. CBHS had a bye this week and practiced without knowing if they were even going to be in the playoffs. They appear to have played only 2 of their 9 games on the road. (one home game was at the Liberty Bowl.) They will have to travel next week for what appears to be their first game out of Memphis. Edge to MBA but the Christian Bros is still an unknown quantity.

MUS and BGA both beat Briarcrest by 48-7 and 35-21 respectively. MUS was undefeated including a win over Olive Branch, MS. BGA did not look up to the task against either BA or Ensworth late in the season. MUS gets victory.

Thanks AP.

In view of that info, I am going to go out on a limb and make predictions for the rest of the way. Please note: I could pick any of the teams after Round 1. These are guesses to stimulate discussion and will be updated weekly until the end of the season.

Round 1

McCallie @ Ensworth

BA @ BCS

CBHS @ MBA

BGA @ MUS

Round 2

BA @ Ensworth

MBA @ MUS

Championship

BA vs MUS

Champ

MUS

I am keeping the same predictions from 10/19. Anybody else want to step up to the plate?

ehsfootballl rules, your apology is accepted. No offense taken. I look forward to a great game this coming week with a different outcome from the previous one and getting to progess through the brackets! The Nashville area sport talk radio referred to Div II AA as the NFL of TN high school football and I believe they just might be correct. BTW, they were a good talk radio show to listen to while driving home!

Ensworth will fall to BA. Brentwood Academy is the most dangerous team in the state. When they put their minds to it, they can beat anyone in the state. MBA vs MUS will be a great game. Ill pick MBA since MUS hasn't played the teams MBA has. Plus MBA is really starting to click, better than they were against Moeller (who beat St. X, St. X beat prattville). I think MBA will win it all. Ensworth is a great team, but the MBA game was a fluke. If they played again MBA would beat them although they would probly give up about 200 rushing yards still. The move of DE Fitz Lassing to will LB, and Brad Bars to De has been key. Watch MBA to win back to back.

Ensworth will fall to BA. Brentwood Academy is the most dangerous team in the state. When they put their minds to it, they can beat anyone in the state. MBA vs MUS will be a great game. Ill pick MBA since MUS hasn't played the teams MBA has. Plus MBA is really starting to click, better than they were against Moeller (who beat St. X, St. X beat prattville). I think MBA will win it all. Ensworth is a great team, but the MBA game was a fluke. If they played again MBA would beat them although they would probly give up about 200 rushing yards still. The move of DE Fitz Lassing to will LB, and Brad Bars to De has been key. Watch MBA to win back to back.

MBA/MUS is a toss-up. Wish they could play in the championship game.

If there was more inter-play between the E/M and West teams (and/or if all of the E/M teams had to play each other every year), we would have a better chance of getting the best 2 teams in the finals.

I don't see why all the E/M teams shouldn't have to play each other. The cost of travel is obviously an issue for E/M and West match-ups.

MBA/MUS is a toss-up. Wish they could play in the championship game.

If there was more inter-play between the E/M and West teams (and/or if all of the E/M teams had to play each other every year), we would have a better chance of getting the best 2 teams in the finals.

I don't see why all the E/M teams shouldn't have to play each other. The cost of travel is obviously an issue for E/M and West match-ups.

Be prepared for more interplay between middle/east and west due to ECS aand Webb feeling the need to play a patsy schedule.

Wow, did you see BA's game vs Ryan? Listless, mistakes, penaltys, dropped passes . . . I hope we pull it together for State, but I haven't seen the fire this year. Not sure what the issue is, but BA's going to have to dig deep to advance past a good BCS team. If we do, we will have to put together a couple of near perfect games to win out. I put my money on either Ensworth or MUS going all the way.

Wow, did you see BA's game vs Ryan? Listless, mistakes, penaltys, dropped passes . . . I hope we pull it together for State, but I haven't seen the fire this year. Not sure what the issue is, but BA's going to have to dig deep to advance past a good BCS team. If we do, we will have to put together a couple of near perfect games to win out. I put my money on either Ensworth or MUS going all the way.

If BA can get by BCS, I think they will guve Ensworth all that they can handle in the 2nd round. It will be tough to run on BA and Ensworth will does not have the outside talent that Ryan had.

Ryan used Mark Mulloy (a 6'3" 240er who plays DT on defense and is likely to play basketball in college) to beat BA several times. That was the key to the game. They also have 2 speedy WRs (Franciscan and Wright) that made key catches against BA. Ensworth just throws the ball down the seam after lulling the D to death with their run game. Doubt they can do that against BA.