Division II Playoffs

3yardsandacloudofdust

Predictions from 2 weeks ago:

Ensworth wins out (Ryan, Warren Co, BGA) EHS has won both vs Ryan and Warren Co.

BGA loses 2 out of last 3 (BA, WEBB, Ensworth) Lost to BA, beat Webb

MBA wins out (Ryan, McCallie) Beat Ryan

BA wins out (BGA, Ryan) Beat BGA

McCallie wins 2 of 3 (Webb, Tyner, MBA) Beat Webb and Tyner.

Predicted E/M Seeds: Unchanged from 2 weeks ago

1) Ensworth

2) MBA

3) BA

4) BGA

5) McCallie

Still waiting for West scores.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predictions from 2 weeks ago:

Ensworth wins out (Ryan, Warren Co, BGA) EHS has won both vs Ryan and Warren Co.

BGA loses 2 out of last 3 (BA, WEBB, Ensworth) Lost to BA, beat Webb

MBA wins out (Ryan, McCallie) Beat Ryan

BA wins out (BGA, Ryan) Beat BGA

McCallie wins 2 of 3 (Webb, Tyner, MBA) Beat Webb and Tyner.

Predicted E/M Seeds: Unchanged from 2 weeks ago

1) Ensworth

2) MBA

3) BA

4) BGA

5) McCallie

Still waiting for West scores.

If BGA beats EHS next week, would BGA be the number 1 seed since BGA would have beaten EHS, and EHS has beaten MBA...

If BGA beats EHS next week, would BGA be the number 1 seed since BGA would have beaten EHS, and EHS has beaten MBA...

Well, it would get complicated. If MBA beats McCallie, BA beats Ryan, and BGA beats EHS, then 4 teams will have one loss in the region. (MBA lost to Ensworth, BA lost to MBA, Ensworth lost to BGA and BGA lost to BA.)

Here are the Tie-Breaking Rules.

2008-09 TSSAA Handbook

C. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

D. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. (After the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.)

E. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

4. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

5. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

6. Ten yardline overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.M.

MBA, BGA, and Ensworth would all have 9 wins and BA would have only 7. I believe that would make BA the #4.

Depending on how their earlier opponents fare tonight and next week, BGA would have 3-4 wins over teams .500 or over. Ensworth would have 2 or 3 wins over teams .500 or over.

MBA could have anywhere from 4 to 7 wins over teams .500 and over.

EHS opponents are 44-45 so far. BGA's 45-46. MBA's are 52-39.

It looks like MBA would have the edge in the tie breakers and would wind up with the top seed. BGA would likely be #2 and EHS #3.

MUS 22 ECS 10.

Still waiting for CBHS-St. Benedict score.

BCS has a bye.

Predictions from 2 weeks ago.

BCS wins 1 of 2 (MUS,ECS) (BCS lost to MUS)

ECS wins 1 of 3 (CBHS, MUS, BCS) (ECS lost to CBHS and MUS)

MUS wins out (BCS, ECS, St Ben) (MUS beat BCS and ECS)

CBHS wins 1 of 2 (ECS, St Ben) (CBHS beat ECS 10-3)

MUS has clinched the #1 seed in the West.

MUS 22 ECS 10.

Still waiting for CBHS-St. Benedict score.

BCS has a bye.

Predictions from 2 weeks ago.

BCS wins 1 of 2 (MUS,ECS) (BCS lost to MUS)

ECS wins 1 of 3 (CBHS, MUS, BCS) (ECS lost to CBHS and MUS)

MUS wins out (BCS, ECS, St Ben) (MUS beat BCS and ECS)

CBHS wins 1 of 2 (ECS, St Ben) (CBHS beat ECS 10-3)

MUS has clinched the #1 seed in the West.

I saw the score, but my aging brain forgot it and I can't find it, but I know CBHS beat St. Benedict easily. MUS had the ball on the goal line in the waning moments of the game and the QB took a knee rather than score...possibly to give ECS a better shot at the playoffs (in the event of a tie) by keeping the score a little closer??? ECS played well and MUS was slow to start. I'm betting on ECS to beat Briarcrest next week.

The brackets are posted in the Football regulations of the TSSAA handbook on page 3 I do believe. For Class AA it was:

#1 East/Middle vs. #5 East/Middle

#2 West vs. #3 East/Middle

#2 East/Middle vs. #3 West

#1 West vs. #4 East/Middle

The higher seed will host in the first 2 rounds.

OK, here is how I figure it:

In the East:

If Ensworth, MBA and BA win next week:

1) EHS

2) MBA

3) BA

4) BGA

5) McCallie

If BGA, MBA, and BA win

1) MBA

2) BGA

3) EHS

4) BA

5) McCallie

If BGA, McCallie and BA win:

1) BA

2) BGA

3) EHS

4) McCallie

5) MBA

If Ensworth, McCallie and BA win

1) EHS

2) BA

3) BGA

4) McCallie

5) MBA

In the West:

If ECS wins

1) MUS

2) ECS

3) BCS

If BCS wins

1) MUS

2) BCS

3) CBHS

OK, here is how I figure it:

In the East:

If Ensworth, MBA and BA win next week:

1) EHS

2) MBA

3) BA

4) BGA

5) McCallie

If BGA, MBA, and BA win

1) MBA

2) BGA

3) EHS

4) BA

5) McCallie

If BGA, McCallie and BA win:

1) BA

2) BGA

3) EHS

4) McCallie

5) MBA

If Ensworth, McCallie and BA win

1) EHS

2) BA

3) BGA

4) McCallie

5) MBA

In the West:

If ECS wins

1) MUS

2) ECS

3) BCS

If BCS wins

1) MUS

2) BCS

3) CBHS

Interesting to note, if McCallie beats MBA, they move to seed #4 and have to play MUS. If they lose, they stay at #5 and could play EHS, MBA or BA.

If MBA loses, they drop to #5 and play either EHS or BA.

The problem is that, by that criterion, BCS is out because they lost to ECS and ECS is out because they lost to CBHS.

It all goes around in a circle and you come back to wins.

I think you misunderstood my post. Since they all beat each other you use wins to figure who is the 2 seed. Next you go back to head to head to figure who would be the 3 seed.