Grainger Grizzlies

bigbluefan4ever

I know this is a basketball board, but congratulations go out to three basketball players that made the All-Lakeway Football team...Justin Humphrey, Skylar McBee and "Shaggy" Zack Holbrook. I also can't see how Skylar did not make All-State at the QB or Athlete position. I didn't see anyone change any game or have a greater effect on a game than he did this year. When healthy, he was argueably the best player I saw all season...anywhere. JMO

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grainger picked up a good win over Knox Central at the Union Tournament. Final was 66-64, Humphrey had a tip in with .2 seconds left. McBee finished with 24, Farmer 13, and Humphrey 12. Good bounce back win after a poor showing at Carter last week.

boxn1 did you see the crowd's reaction to that final tip by Humphrey? They sure didn't expect that game to end the way it did. Great win Grizzlies!

Grainger beat Cannon County 69-59 on Monday. McBee had 30 and Humphrey had 20. Grainger didn't play well until a technical on Coach Combs in the 3rd quarter.

They lost a barnburner to Somerset 92-88. Foul trouble killed the Grizzlies as Humphrey and Carter fouled out. McBee finished with 35, Carter 16, Farmer 11 and Humphrey 10. They probably win if Humphrey stays in game, as he has been playing really well.

Time to focus on District games now. 10-3 is not bad.

Grainger has a very good team. Well balanced and play hard. Do they play any man to man defense? They will have to when they get into the sectionals to advance as Fulton, AE and the AA schools in other areas win on defense.

I think Grainger should win vs. upper East Tn. in the regionals. Just a tip---the home school or tournament is responsible for turning in game results by a certain time each day. They do not have a large staff anymore to do write ups but they do have an inside reporter for the games summaries.

Grainger has a very good team. Well balanced and play hard. Do they play any man to man defense? They will have to when they get into the sectionals to advance as Fulton, AE and the AA schools in other areas win on defense.

I think Grainger should win vs. upper East Tn. in the regionals. Just a tip---the home school or tournament is responsible for turning in game results by a certain time each day. They do not have a large staff anymore to do write ups but they do have an inside reporter for the games summaries.

My guess is that Grainger doesn't play a lot of man defense because they don't have the bodies to put in if they get in deep foul trouble, especially McBee. Taking a guy who averages 25 a night out of the game (and is good for 40-plus on a really good night) is a tall order. They've been working on a match-up zone for quite a while going back to the last few years at Rutledge...at least that's what I remember from discussions with the coaches.

As far as tips on turning in game results...I can speak to where some schools know that, but when they don't get published the next day it's pretty frustrating...and as far as less staff maybe they need to look into getting more stringers from outlying papers. They did it for Bearden when they played at Bristol and have done it for others. If the Sentinel is going to claim to be an all-encompassing publication for all these high schools in the PrepXtra umbrella then they need to get more people out covering things or just go back to being an all KIL and KFL paper.

My guess is that Grainger doesn't play a lot of man defense because they don't have the bodies to put in if they get in deep foul trouble, especially McBee. Taking a guy who averages 25 a night out of the game (and is good for 40-plus on a really good night) is a tall order. They've been working on a match-up zone for quite a while going back to the last few years at Rutledge...at least that's what I remember from discussions with the coaches.

As far as tips on turning in game results...I can speak to where some schools know that, but when they don't get published the next day it's pretty frustrating...and as far as less staff maybe they need to look into getting more stringers from outlying papers. They did it for Bearden when they played at Bristol and have done it for others. If the Sentinel is going to claim to be an all-encompassing publication for all these high schools in the PrepXtra umbrella then they need to get more people out covering things or just go back to being an all KIL and KFL paper.

I agree on the coverage for all of the teams. This conversation comes up at every coffee shop in the area. Not what it use to be. The future is probably the internet sports services. I know Ron Bliss from Tri Cities indicated he was bringing one to the mid east region for next year and Wazoo is already in the area for some coverage. The days of the Journal and Sentinel and great coverage for all is gone. Maybe we could let the Sentinel know we want a stronger high school presence instead of a 6 column lead story with 5 or 6 others enclosed. I know I grew up in a small town between Knox and Chatt and never read anything about a game unless we played the larger teams or in the tournaments. Good luck with the new Grizzlies!

I saw Grainger play their last 3 games and they played man in 2 1/2 of those. Why is man to man required to advance, seems like it would be about how the teams match up with each other. If you look at their scores they have not given up a ton of points, with one exception.

I agree. I was just looking at history in AA in East TN. The teams that advance have gone man to man except when they get in foul trouble. I think you have 3 teams that are virtually equal in your district. I noticed an article on McBee in the KNS today. He has been a difference maker this year thus far.