Grainger Grizzlies

bigbluefan4ever

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grainger at Gatlinburg-Pittman. McBee 19, Farmer 13, Humphrey 9, Jackson 7, Brabson 4, and A. Carter 2

54-49 final score.

Great start for the Grizzlies! Looks like a total team effort and a big road win. How long has it been since we won @ GP? Grainger has a couple of home games next week and I think one of them is against Claiborne. They defeated M. West 57-51, that has the makings of a great matchup in the new gym at Grainger High. Good luck guys and keep up the hard work.

I think the final was Claiborne over Grainger 69-60. Two evenly matched teams and Claiborne just simply played better tonight.

Losses are not the end of the world...having heard a report on the game Claiborne shot 40 free throws...at Grainger. The teams combined for 67 free throws. The refs need to let 'em play...that's ridiculous.

Losses are not the end of the world...having heard a report on the game Claiborne shot 40 free throws...at Grainger. The teams combined for 67 free throws. The refs need to let 'em play...that's ridiculous.

I was at the game and agree, and I'm a Claiborne fan. The officiating was way too tight. They also called about 250 travels, many of them where the ball had clearly left the player's hand before he picked up his pivot foot. In one case, the player didn't move either foot but did a sweep ball fake and was whistled by a ref that was on the backside of the player without a clear view of the ball. We made a game out of it in the stands to watch for the bad calls, and there were many.

The players themselves were just playing ball and it wasn't to the point where they needed to do that. Nothing was getting out of hand, but I will give them credit - they were consistent all night by calling everything they could think of, whether it actually happened or not.

If you also look at the three refs that called this game, they are known to do this. We have a small group of refs that rotate around the region and as such get the same refs every year. They are so familiar to me I know how the game is going to be called as soon as I see them, and they know the players well enough to "anticipate" their calls. I wish the TSSAA would shake things up in this regard and get us some different officials, just so we would have more objectivity. For the same refs to work the same district every year, that just invites all kinds of things, and none of it is good for the game.

I was at the game and agree, and I'm a Claiborne fan. The officiating was way too tight. They also called about 250 travels, many of them where the ball had clearly left the player's hand before he picked up his pivot foot. In one case, the player didn't move either foot but did a sweep ball fake and was whistled by a ref that was on the backside of the player without a clear view of the ball. We made a game out of it in the stands to watch for the bad calls, and there were many.

The players themselves were just playing ball and it wasn't to the point where they needed to do that. Nothing was getting out of hand, but I will give them credit - they were consistent all night by calling everything they could think of, whether it actually happened or not.

If you also look at the three refs that called this game, they are known to do this. We have a small group of refs that rotate around the region and as such get the same refs every year. They are so familiar to me I know how the game is going to be called as soon as I see them, and they know the players well enough to "anticipate" their calls. I wish the TSSAA would shake things up in this regard and get us some different officials, just so we would have more objectivity. For the same refs to work the same district every year, that just invites all kinds of things, and none of it is good for the game.

Claiborne played better than Grainger did, but I have to agree the officiating was way too tight. The teams were not playing rough or overly physical. It was pretty well played by both teams. It was almost a routine sight to see an official make a call and one of the other officials walk back down the court grinning, because he knew it was a terrible call. Way too many walking calls in a high school game. I felt like they were guessing or anticipating a walk much you might expect in a middle school game. Both teams are going to have a say in who wins the district. There will probably be three or four teams that have a legit chance at winning the district. Grainger did not play as well as they have most of the season. Thats not taking anything away from Claiborne, they were hitting on all cylinders Friday. Its a long season and we all know that it really matters when tournament time rolls around. The Grizzlies (Pioneers) are all too familiar with tournament time. Good luck Grizzlies!

If Grainger is to beat Carter then this is how to do it.

1.) Force Carter to come out and guard you. Spread the floor and take them one on one.

2.) Bump Lester at every chance when he is making his cut. Force him to put the ball on the floor, and turn him hard left. You have to play tight on him, because if you don't he will be able to jump above the defense for a quick sweet jumper.{ AE spread the floor and took him 1 on 1, with their player able to get by him, because of his lack of defense.}

3.) Push Joe Meady around and he will give up. Deny him the ball for the drop step, and run the floor on him.

4.) Put pressure on the ball, Carter is lacking a point that can handle the ball. With the young ones handling the ball turnovers will happen.

5.) Laundry is out, so guard the top post. Carter is having a hard time shooting from the perimeter. You have to go to a zone to force them to shoot, and when you do, guard the top post from Lester.

Don't back down from your game, and shut down the play makers of Carter. Good Luck.

Friday night wasn't pretty for the Grizzlies. Carter put a 30+ point beating on them. This was the worst game of the year for Grainger. They did not shoot the ball well at all. McBee was the only one in double figures as the rest of the team had trouble finding the hoop. Nobody shot the ball well and Carter shot the lights out from the perimeter. The Grizzlies doubled the post and Carter shot the ball well from outside. We were not physical enough and did not seem to play with the confidence we have played with all year. The Grizzlies will get back on the right track and back to their winning ways. Look for Humphrey and Farmer to step back up and help McBee lead this team forward. Good luck in the Union Tournament and on into the rest of the season.