Region 7 4A versus Region 8 4A

therealgame

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EastMustang,

1) Do you think that East will FINALLY deafeat Melrose, for the first time in.....what, 7 or 8 years?

2) If so, why?

3) What are your thoughts about how East will fare against the Region 7 opponents?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Lastly, what do you think are the keys to East's success this year (I've only seen East in scrimmage, briefly -- in the City Jamboree)?

I think they will. We have not beaten Melrose since 1999. The East O-line is BIG and coming into their own. The line just took over the Kingsbury game. The Commercial Appeal stats were not accurate. On unapproved website, East accumulated over 400 yards of offense. Defensively, they have gotten better. Hunters yardage was a result of a new defensive look. Once they settled in, he was slowed considerably. They are healthy and this bye week helps. They have all their linemen and one of their top skill guys has come back. He had a pick vs. Kingsbury. It should be a classic, but if the HOGS come to play, I think East will come out on top as long as the D does not give up too many big plays.

I also believe that we will beat whoever we play in the first round. As for HC, our line is fairly big and strong as well. It will come down to conditioning and depth. I don't think that HC has been in a real fight yet like the region 8 teams. I believe that each region 8 team poses a different problem to the opposition. East - power running game/multiple front defense. Melrose - really good passing game/fast defense. Fairley - finesse and speed/solid defense. If HC makes it to the fourth round, then I will say that they are battle tested to win state. None of the region 8 teams will be an easy win.

This may sound absolutely ludicrous, but I would not be surprised to see HC beat Melrose by 20 points. All year we have said that it is inconceivable to think that HC can win by as much as they have been. I know the teams HC has faced do not necessarily compare to Melrose, but I can only bring myself to doubt their abilities so much. I would not bet that they win by 20. Any win by any amount would do, this isn't college football, but I would in no way shape or form be surprised if HC beats Melrose by 20 if/when they meet. Call me stupid. I don't have any coaching friends that I consulted to come to this conclusion; I just used common sense.

This may sound absolutely ludicrous, but I would not be surprised to see HC beat Melrose by 20 points. All year we have said that it is inconceivable to think that HC can win by as much as they have been. I know the teams HC has faced do not necessarily compare to Melrose, but I can only bring myself to doubt their abilities so much. I would not bet that they win by 20. Any win by any amount would do, this isn't college football, but I would in no way shape or form be surprised if HC beats Melrose by 20 if/when they meet. Call me stupid. I don't have any coaching friends that I consulted to come to this conclusion; I just used common sense.

PatsBack,

Please outline some specifics that helped formulate your "common sense" conclusion?

PatsBack,

Please outline some specifics that helped formulate your "common sense" conclusion?

Every time I have doubted them in regards to how bad they would win a game it has come back to bite me in the butt. Again, I did not say I think they would beat Melrose by 20 pts. I said I would not be surprised in the least if they did so. The common sense I was referring to was that sooner or later you should learn from your mistakes. Fact is, HC is a very good football team and Melrose does have 3 defeats. Regardless of why they lost or who they lost to, I cannot help but think that HC could capitalize. I know Melrose always has a good D but they only get to see an OFF. like HC's once per year. I guess something Melrose has going for them in the event of a matchup with HC is that they are used to passing a lot. No disrespect meant to Melrose; they are a darn good team as well, but I stand by my assessment.

Every time I have doubted them in regards to how bad they would win a game it has come back to bite me in the butt. Again, I did not say I think they would beat Melrose by 20 pts. I said I would not be surprised in the least if they did so. The common sense I was referring to was that sooner or later you should learn from your mistakes. Fact is, HC is a very good football team and Melrose does have 3 defeats. Regardless of why they lost or who they lost to, I cannot help but think that HC could capitalize. I know Melrose always has a good D but they only get to see an OFF. like HC's once per year. I guess something Melrose has going for them in the event of a matchup with HC is that they are used to passing a lot. No disrespect meant to Melrose; they are a darn good team as well, but I stand by my assessment.

I agree! If that idiot official doesn't give Melrose that BS touchdown last year then the game doesn't come down to the turnover at the end. IF it happens then at this time I would say HC 35 Melrose 12.

We have a couple of blowout games to get through first and then on to the Memphis 3!!

You are right, it sounds absolutely ludicrous. I hope you are right but don't count on it. There's nothing wrong with a close win.

I agree! If that idiot official doesn't give Melrose that BS touchdown last year then the game doesn't come down to the turnover at the end. IF it happens then at this time I would say HC 35 Melrose 12.

We have a couple of blowout games to get through first and then on to the Memphis 3!!

People mistake my sense realism, as not being a fan of Henry County. I have been here only for a few short years, so as someone said, "it's not in my blood", but I enjoy watching and pulling for the Patriots. Don't forget that without the terrible call, which resulted in a "gift" TD for Melrose, AND without the "miracle", once in a lifetime play, by the Patriot DB for a TD, the game would still have been a ONE POINT game.

I think they will. We have not beaten Melrose since 1999. The East O-line is BIG and coming into their own. The line just took over the Kingsbury game. The Commercial Appeal stats were not accurate. On unapproved website, East accumulated over 400 yards of offense. Defensively, they have gotten better. Hunters yardage was a result of a new defensive look. Once they settled in, he was slowed considerably. They are healthy and this bye week helps. They have all their linemen and one of their top skill guys has come back. He had a pick vs. Kingsbury. It should be a classic, but if the HOGS come to play, I think East will come out on top as long as the D does not give up too many big plays.

I also believe that we will beat whoever we play in the first round. As for HC, our line is fairly big and strong as well. It will come down to conditioning and depth. I don't think that HC has been in a real fight yet like the region 8 teams. I believe that each region 8 team poses a different problem to the opposition. East - power running game/multiple front defense. Melrose - really good passing game/fast defense. Fairley - finesse and speed/solid defense. If HC makes it to the fourth round, then I will say that they are battle tested to win state. None of the region 8 teams will be an easy win.

I would agree that HC hasn't been in a real fight yet, like the teams in your region. But I will add that Maryville is rarely in a "real fight" and doesn't seem to affect them. I am not comparing HC to Maryville, but I think you will understand my point. To HC fans who will automatically get upset, I think NO TEAM can be compared to Maryville until they win 70 games in a row.

I would agree that HC hasn't been in a real fight yet, like the teams in your region. But I will add that Maryville is rarely in a "real fight" and doesn't seem to affect them. I am not comparing HC to Maryville, but I think you will understand my point. To HC fans who will automatically get upset, I think NO TEAM can be compared to Maryville until they win 70 games in a row.

I completely agree. And as to the melrose game. We have not seen a qb even close to as good as toney, we have not seen recievers as good or as fast as the melrose recievers, and we have not seen a defense anywhere near as good as melrose. That game is still a long way to go but I think it would be a very close game. If we happen to beat them by 2 touchdowns or more I will be the first to say I was wrong. And I will be dang proud I was wrong.